Westwood

15 hours ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

His time with us is up.

Especially now, as it seems Dawson had taken the number 1 mantle.

We've been taken for a ride by him since December 2017, and many fell into the trap of blaming Jos and not him.

Where do you get this theory of being taken for a ride for over 2 years from ? You obviously have inside info yes ? 

Westwood is a decent keeper for this level. He used to be a fantastic one however, probably the best in the league.

We need to start being ruthless with both selling players at the right times and not keeping players past their best out of sentiment. It looks like finally we are starting to do this.

Given their wages v contributions to the team the best thing we can do is get rid of FF and Westwood (providing Dawson signs a new deal). Plenty of fans will moan about it but it’s the right thing to do if we want to improve the squad. 

On 27/12/2019 at 08:43, lincolnowl said:

A minor point bearing in mind Dawson is cementing himself as number 1 anyway, but this quote is interesting from Monk, I think:

"He felt he had pain in his shoulder in training so he ruled himself out so that's why he wasn't in the squad," said Monk.

He’s also mentioned any return date for FF being up to his pain threshold a few times. 

Surely these “legends” aren’t having the clubs pants down? 

Didn't hear the Westwood comment by Monk but did the Forestieri and agree that he's not happy with either of them.

Good as Westwood is at his best, at this moment in time, Dawson has the jersey, and is putting in superb performances. Despite Stoke scoiring three on Boxing Day, none of these could be laid at Dawson's door, and he also made 3-4 superb stops. It would take either a very brave or imo a very silly man to drop him. 

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Westwood is a decent keeper for this level. He used to be a fantastic one however, probably the best in the league.

We need to start being ruthless with both selling players at the right times and not keeping players past their best out of sentiment. It looks like finally we are starting to do this.

Given their wages v contributions to the team the best thing we can do is get rid of FF and Westwood (providing Dawson signs a new deal). Plenty of fans will moan about it but it’s the right thing to do if we want to improve the squad. 

So we won’t need a replacement keeper then ? 

Players can always rule themselves out - they always have that ultimate decision

Not sure if Monk is insinuating he's dubious about their motives - maybe just the way i read it

But pain is highly complex and some people just cannot deal with it

1 hour ago, scram said:

Players can always rule themselves out - they always have that ultimate decision

Not sure if Monk is insinuating he's dubious about their motives - maybe just the way i read it

But pain is highly complex and some people just cannot deal with it

westwood has history?

Guest Grez Bez

I love Westwood, at his best he was.the best keeper outside the Prem for me but Wednesday need to clear out some of the highly paid older players.

Westwood, Forestieri, Rhodes, Winnall. None are in the team and should be replaced

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, handworth52 said:

westwood has been a top keeper for us that's never in doubt ,but over the years with us he has had so many injuries and knocks its unreal ,when a manager says in his press conference that both forestieri and westwood declare themselves unfit I have huge question marks over this. everyone knows forestieri was not going to play this xmas we knew that weeks/months ago he has a pathetic attitude as a footballer he thinks its ok to be paid 30-35k a week and put little effort into training and couldn't be bothered or play with a but of pain ,he wants out and if any club stupid enough to take him then he mast be shown the door. regards westwood he has been the worst keeper in the league this season cost us about 8 goals im not dawsons no1 fan but he had to come in for him ,he stopped at stoke an absolute mauling for us (highlights didn't show that) and I cant see him losing his place this season now . westwood hates been no2 and if we can lose his wages it be best for both parties ,if we can lose Rhodes, forestieri , westwood off the wage bill that's not far off 100k a week saved im sure we could get in some very decent loans with that. even some of the players(bannan) has mentioned about forestieri regards training. 

I actually agree with most of this post. However, Westwood has not cost usb8 goals. That is a total exaggeration. Also he was blamed for the Swansea and Blackburn results but he pulled off wonder saves in both. I also agree that if he isn’t going to play then we should move him on. That’s good business sense. I still have a problem with you calling the best goalkeeper Wednesday have had in about 15 years ‘a disgrace’ though.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Good as Westwood is at his best, at this moment in time, Dawson has the jersey, and is putting in superb performances. Despite Stoke scoiring three on Boxing Day, none of these could be laid at Dawson's door, and he also made 3-4 superb stops. It would take either a very brave or imo a very silly man to drop him. 

He did pull off good saves but if we are being critical he wasn’t brave enough on the third. Should have been all over Vokes before he shot.  Having said that, the poo header by Iorfa didn’t help!

On 27/12/2019 at 10:04, Mr Farrell said:

Westwood and FF are 2 of the highest paid players in the division.

We wonder why we can't stick to the FFP rules.

They aren't even in the top 40 highest paid players in the league I'm afraid.

Edited by Minton

6 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I actually agree with most of this post. However, Westwood has not cost usb8 goals. That is a total exaggeration. Also he was blamed for the Swansea and Blackburn results but he pulled off wonder saves in both. I also agree that if he isn’t going to play then we should move him on. That’s good business sense. I still have a problem with you calling the best goalkeeper Wednesday have had in about 15 years ‘a disgrace’ though.

you called me a disgrace I didn't ever call westwood a disgrace , a liability yes . im more on forestieri case now he is whatever you want to call him . been paid what he is and refusing to train and play is a disgrace if me or you got paid 30-35k a week I would play through any pain there is hardly a thing wrong with him bar a very poor attitude ,I was a fan of him once not now he needs to bugger off. 

3 hours ago, handworth52 said:

you called me a disgrace I didn't ever call westwood a disgrace , a liability yes . im more on forestieri case now he is whatever you want to call him . been paid what he is and refusing to train and play is a disgrace if me or you got paid 30-35k a week I would play through any pain there is hardly a thing wrong with him bar a very poor attitude ,I was a fan of him once not now he needs to bugger off. 

But you can't play with pain.  You'd be the first to point out if a player couldn't get to a tackle (couldn't be arsed) or didn't run enough (stealing a living) or couldn't train (commitment isssue).  You need to be fit at this level.  It's not the dog and duck.  

7 hours ago, swinners said:

But you can't play with pain.

That's simply not true, I'm afraid.

Rightly or wrongly, many, many players play though pain:

https://inews.co.uk/news/playing-pain-injuries-depression-chronic-premier-league-football-painkiller-addiction-505768

I was talking to an ex-pro a few years ago and he reckoned that every single player in their late twenties or beyond would have some kind of niggling injury or ongoing issue which they'd have to play with. He said the idea of ever being '100% fit' was a myth past a certain point.

None of us know the extent of Forestieri's injury, and it's not helpful for us to speculate, but the pressure clubs put on players to play through pain is definitely real.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's simply not true, I'm afraid.

Rightly or wrongly, many, many players play though pain:

https://inews.co.uk/news/playing-pain-injuries-depression-chronic-premier-league-football-painkiller-addiction-505768

I was talking to an ex-pro a few years ago and he reckoned that every single player in their late twenties or beyond would have some kind of niggling injury or ongoing issue which they'd have to play with. He said the idea of ever being '100% fit' was a myth past a certain point.

None of us know the extent of Forestieri's injury, and it's not helpful for us to speculate, but the pressure clubs put on players to play through pain is definitely real.

Of course but I think you meant other than niggles.  No one can be 100%, but if you are seriously in pain (foresteri with his knee as an example) then the level they are playing he would not be able to perform to the standard needed.  One turn, one sprint to close down and the injury would errupt.  I agree with you about discomfort but that's not the point that was being made. 

Take Wallace in the play off semi.  Knew his groin was tight, played through the pain, overstretched in the first couple of minutes to close someone down and off he goes.