We must start Julian Borner on Sunday

14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Jeez, neither can tackle their way out of a paper bag We’d need to play 5 centre backs to cover their inadequacies 

In my plan, we would be attacking that much, they would have little defending to do.... let me have that delusional dream, it is Christmas after all !!

We shouldn't over-react after one bad game.

Truth is we have three terrific centre-halves vying for two places. It's unfortunate if any of them have to miss out.

Borner has been superb. A warrior whose distribution is remarkably good for a centre-half. My only criticism is that he's so enthusiastic about getting the ball he tends to go through the back of strikers giving away daft free-kicks and bookings.

Tom Lees has also done really well since coming back but oh dear his passing is abysmal. Whoscored marked his performance on Boxing Day as the best by any centre-half in the league. And there are some on here calling for him to be dropped as a result!

Iorfa has been exceptional since moving to centre-half. He's not as good in the air as might be expected for his height and he does have a tendency to chase the ball all over the pitch, leaving himself out of position, but I've never seen a defender who is so good at taking over from the striker when the ball is on the ground. When there's a sniff of a threat we can all breathe a sigh of relief when Iorfa comes in and takes charge. Dominant Iorfa. We've got a player that Premier league clubs want to buy and some on here think we should drop him, or move him back to RB where he was never particularly rated.

So, tough to drop any of them. I like the idea of playing all three, with wingbacks. It makes us more competitive in the middle of the park and allows us to play 2 strikers. I actually think both Reach and Harris could play as wing backs. Both get up and down the pitch well and both can cross well. Tackling is not the priority for a wing-back - more important to have the energy to keep a good team shape. This formation would be tough on Fox who also deserves a place but couldn't fit in here.

42 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I wish Monk had read this thread before kickoff today.

We miss Börner's calming influence when he's not in the team.

Palmer and Iorfa are both guilty of lapses in concentration at times, and as good as Lees is, he doesn't organise those around him particularly effectively.

Lees has been the better CB today and Stoke. He’s also scored two.

Any change means dropping or moving Iorfa. Fine by me. Happy to see Iorfa marauding at RB. 

40 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I wish Monk had read this thread before kickoff today.

We miss Börner's calming influence when he's not in the team.

Palmer and Iorfa are both guilty of lapses in concentration at times, and as good as Lees is, he doesn't organise those around him particularly effectively.

Goal 1: Our RCB is on left touchline commuting soft fouls, ball played into space he’s vacated and our RB and LCB struggle to stop shot. Easy soft goal! 

Goal 2: Our LCB is more concerned with seeing if players offside or not than getting back to make tackle or stop cross. 

School boy defending, how has Iorfa gone from looking the most commanding CB at the club to being pulled around like a rag doll and how is captain consistency looking so flustered. Borner needs to play at either of the others expense as BOTH look better players with him at their side. 

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Lees has been the better CB today and Stoke. He’s also scored two.

Any change means dropping or moving Iorfa. Fine by me. Happy to see Iorfa marauding at RB. 

I agree that Lees has been better than Iorfa in the last few games, but the main issue for me is that both of them are improved by the presence of Börner - he simply has to play, in my opinion. Who with, I'm less fussed.

As I said on another thread, Borner didn’t look match fit yesterday.  He isn’t right physically for whatever reason. He wasn’t playing at 100 percent, his jumping, running and moving were all off, I assume on purpose to manage some sort of injury or lack of fitness. We were very lucky not to concede again because of it, Cardiff blazed one over the bar and misplaced a final pass when he gave it away coming it of defence to create a 3 on 3 for them.

Until he is ready to play he shouldn’t be considered for starting. Fine to come on if we have a problem , as we did yesterday.

What has happened to Bates ? Hasn’t been given a chance at all. 

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

As I said on another thread, Borner didn’t look match fit yesterday.  He isn’t right physically for whatever reason. He wasn’t playing at 100 percent, his jumping, running and moving were all off, I assume on purpose to manage some sort of injury or lack of fitness. We were very lucky not to concede again because of it, Cardiff blazed one over the bar and misplaced a final pass when he gave it away coming it of defence to create a 3 on 3 for them.

Until he is ready to play he shouldn’t be considered for starting. Fine to come on if we have a problem , as we did yesterday.

What has happened to Bates ? Hasn’t been given a chance at all. 

If he is not fit we should be using Thornily. He has never let us down when played.