We must start Julian Borner on Sunday

We have to be careful of knee jerk reactions here Yes Iorfa was very poor yesterday, and Palmer and Lees also looked shaky, but that was just one game. Against Bristol, Palmer especially was outstanding. Having said that, I do feel Borner has to play, because of his calmness, and also his leadership qualities. I think it comes down to a choice between Iorfa and Lees, as to whom should partner him. Normally I’d say Iorfa just shades it, but on yesterday’s performance, it would probably the other way around. It’s a tough one, but a nice problem to have. Absolutely no point in trying to shoe horn them in at full back though

• Like 1

Over-rections abound this morning.

Lees has been outstanding since his return. prior to that our defense had started creaking badly. Think back to Blackburn, when Julian was poorest of the four.

OK Iorfa had a stinker yesterday, but his season has been superb. However, Borner does deserve a recall.

I would either leave the defense alone, or move Dom wide to allow Borner in. It worked v Bristol C, and gives us height for the Cardiff game.

The problem is that teams are now playing on Iorfa.

Gregory pushed on to him yesterday and Martin did it at Derby . 
He is poor against strikers who play with their back to goal because he tries to win every ball and gets out of position all the time.

This also means he gives too many free kicks away .

He is also poor in the air, might win the header but it goes nowhere.

He is brilliant at cutting out through balls and chasing down balls played into the channels which at times can be goal saving interceptions.

However this is an unforgiving league and teams find your weaknesses and play on them.

• Like 3

Iorfa and Borner should start for me, Lees is unlucky to drop out but that is our best pairing. It has a bit of everything.

Borner  - wins almost every 50/50 ball, has composure, our best centre back.

Iorfa  -  adds height, pace, and looks great when he occasionally runs out with the ball through the middle of the park.

i like Lees but I think sometimes his passing and composure let him done. 

Just now, Holmowl said:

Lees has been outstanding since his return. prior to that our defense had started creaking badly. Think back to Blackburn, when Julian was poorest of the four.

OK Iorfa had a stinker yesterday, but his season has been superb. However, Borner does deserve a recall.

I would either leave the defense alone, or move Dom wide to allow Borner in. It worked v Bristol C, and gives us height for the Cardiff game.

Agree with pretty much all this. Huge over reactions. Squad is very good bar options up front bar fletcher. I’m sure Monk would love to sort this out in January. Our inability to see games out is extremely concerning - needs addressing immediately. We would be top now if games had finished on 86 mins. Otherwise, that was the first game today we’ve deserved to lose under Monk which ain’t bad. 

3 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

The problem is that teams are now playing on Iorfa.

Gregory pushed on to him yesterday and Martin did it at Derby . 
He is poor against strikers who play with their back to goal because he tries to win every ball and gets out of position all the time.

This also means he gives too many free kicks away .

He is also poor in the air, might win the header but it goes nowhere.

He is brilliant at cutting out through balls and chasing down balls played into the channels which at times can be goal saving interceptions.

However this is an unforgiving league and teams find your weaknesses and play on them.

Good analysis and you’re right.

2 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Gregory made Iorfa look an idiot yesterday 

Beat him to the ball every time - I’m not sure how with Iorfas pace and height 

tbf to Gregory he is a very intelligent striker uses his body very well and brings others in to play. Similar to Deon Burton when he was with us, backed in to defender and protects the ball. 

Edited by sheffwed1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Surely the disappointment of Stoke has opened the door for Borner to get into the starting the 11. 

His quality is undeniable. He helped turned the Bristol City game in our favour. 

Don’t care who is dropped - he needs to start on Sunday. 

This x100

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

I'd drop Iorfa. I know he's been great at CB so far but if Monk is trying to get over to the players that they must keep their standards up or get replaced then not reacting to Iorfa's car crash of a game is the wrong message. Lee's and Borner for me. Hutch back to def mid.

I just hope Fletcher is fully fit although it doesn't sound promising.  If not start Winnall, I'm not a fan of his but the other two yesterday didn't do anything.

1 hour ago, mancowl08 said:

Iorfa and Borner should start for me, Lees is unlucky to drop out but that is our best pairing. It has a bit of everything.

Borner  - wins almost every 50/50 ball, has composure, our best centre back.

Iorfa  -  adds height, pace, and looks great when he occasionally runs out with the ball through the middle of the park.

i like Lees but I think sometimes his passing and composure let him done. 

This 

4 hours ago, crookesowl said:

Surely the disappointment of Stoke has opened the door for Borner to get into the starting the 11. 

His quality is undeniable. He helped turned the Bristol City game in our favour. 

Don’t care who is dropped - he needs to start on Sunday. 

Agree mate  I think Dom is happier playing alongside Borner and you've got a more natural left sided centre half. 

30 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Think we should rest Iorfa Sunday. He was worst of the lot of the back 5 yesterday, his mistake cost us the first goal.

Palmer wasnt great either but he was better than Iorfa.

All have bad days, Dom and Borner are the best pairing and I think they prefer each other as a pairing. 

3 hours ago, Mrmason69 said:

Are you seriously suggesting we move iorfa to rb? He has to cover for the inept Lees and Borner. We can't afford to move iorfa. 

Iorfa is surely one of the best CB in the division now. Sadly he's got two duds in Lees and Borner that he's always covering for 

Have you actually seen Borner play ??