Monks Game Management

29 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Liverpool have 4 or 5 top quality strikers though and often win games by a wide margin. They never sub them off in tight games or important ones (which nearly all of ours are). We have one good striker for our level 

and today isn’t a good example as we played the full 90 mins in the same vein as we usually play the last 5 mins 

You are right on all counts.

Although Liverpool have just took him off in a tight game lol

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It's not hypothetical if it is the truth.

Hypothetical would be asking would that have happened with Westwood and Borner in the team.

You said in a roundabout way that we shouldn't pay Monk if he doesnt know what to do. He does know what to do and likely already has. That's not hypothetical. 

Fact of the matter, last 2 home games we were under the cosh last 5 and won out. That showes that Monk sorted it out albeit temporarily. Today we regressed. Not sure how that can be laid fully at Monk's shoulders.

And you’ve got no proof it’s true.

I don’t think Monk has “tried everything” so it’s a redundant question.

Your last two paragraphs here are all conjecture.  Which I’m not getting involved in.  Conversation over.

• Haha 1

Guest Ferkorf
2 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Even at this early stage it’s very hard to imagine Leeds or West Brom not being the top two.

Anybody else other than Leeds I would agree.

They are already starting to crumble.

Wait till end of Feb they will free fall...

Lol

23 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Anybody else other than Leeds I would agree.

They are already starting to crumble.

Wait till end of Feb they will free fall...

Lol

Leeds are 8 points clear of 3rd after 24 games.

And the chasing pack are hopeless, as our performance today showed, for example.

They are already up, baring some sort of Keegan-esque meltdown.

Guest The Horse
5 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

To be a good footballer you need speed of thought.

As a squad we have very little of it.

This is a very good point.

Most footballers are thick as poo.

The ones who see the bigger picture are invariably the ones who can get their heads up or at least have a geometric understanding of what's going on.

I believe airline pilots call this 'situational awareness'.

Think Waddle, Cantina or, yes - Gary Hooper.

These guys had the brains to see the game unfold as a whole,

Sick of this excuse that monk hasnt signed these players 

We've never conceded this many goals under these players in the last 5/10 minutes

Is obviously the tactics that are costing us and monk needs to address it quickly 

I travelled 6 hours there and 8 hours back today and it was embarrassing

Stoke are/ was bottom and we made them look like man city 

Not happy and monk needs to sort this out 

10 hours ago, Miffed said:

It’s the mentality of some of the players. They don’t have the mentality of winners, they aren’t ruthless enough, determined enough to go out with the mindset that we won’t get beat. 

Monk has inherited a team bereft or confidence and a bunch of players who simply aren’t winners. 

Nailed it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it boils down to situational awareness and mental strength. We don't have enough players with situational awareness as it is in the squad. They have then a lack of mental strength, which means any thought of playing the game disappears towards the end of the game/when it matters. 

For me we need fletcher and Borner (even someone like Lee) on the pitch at the end of games to help us with that. Most of the others seem to lose their head. Even bannan does. 

We all thought having likes of Harris and Murphy would help us stretch defenders and the game. This doesn't happen in the last 15 when it matters and we don't have others still willing to put a foot on the ball.

Especially defensively, not being in the right positions and just occupying space is not the right thought process. Knowing where the danger is and where its going to be is what's needed and makes you stand out as a player. Something hooper was great at.  Which is one of my criticisms of reach (not singling him out in this game, just making a point) People say he works hard/back. But 80% of the time that is because he's chasing a player he's the wrong side of in the first place. So his miles look good, or visually looks OK, but its ineffective defending, if you see what I'm getting at. 

Yes we do score late goals too, as rightly pointed out, but conceding so many so quickly is when it starts to become a problem. That is the difference between the best times and the also rans (after the big standard consistency). Being able to use the last 10 and injury time to your advantage. Not be a coin throw as to what will happen. It is a worry. It can set in quickly if we can't remedy it. Monk needs to find a way. 

Having said all that, this season it won't make a difference, cos conveniently, we'll have just enough points (whatever that is) to put us 4th bottom if we lose the court appeal. Haha

12 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It does seem as though late in the game when we are winning we sit back hoping to hang on. There doesn't seem to be any pressing the opposition in their own area to keep the ball out of our half. PNE yesterday pressed L**DS high up the pitch. They hung on.

At least one player preferably a quick one (Harris or Murphy) needs to be left up front at all times. That means 2 defenders left to cover them . 

Our penalty area in last 10 minutes was like seige of the Alamo. There must have been 21 players in it at times. 

We have an analyst (apparently) who should have sorted this problem with Monk. 

After 4 or 5 times then this should be sorted.

After watching them for a bit yday I’m already worried about playing Preston again 

I think we're doing OK.

I mean, compared to some of the dire predictions for us before the season began, with Fatso having stabbed us in the back, then I've no complaints.

It's because those goals against Stoke came in injury time that we're sick; if they'd been scored evenly throughout the game then it wouldn't have been so bad.

I don't reckon we we're doing worse than under Carlos at this stage of the season, and we're usually better in the second half of the campaign.

It is up to Garry Monk to resolve the  game management in the last few mins of matches but we have had this issue since CC's 2nd season. We probably got away with it more in recent seasons because we had braver players then.

We need full backs who are more committed to stopping opposition runs and in particular crosses into the box. The midfield needs to defend as a unit not just depend on Hutch or Luongo to stop the opposition. The whole team has to get themselves further up the pitch to give us a greater chance of ball retention and to relieve some of the pressure on our goal, and indeed to support our 1 or two attackers we sometimes manage to get in the opposition box. Other teams appear to get four five or six players into the opposition box.

We can scapegoat a finisher like Rhodes (and FF) if we want but we they should not be provided with long punts allowing grizzly centre backs to come straight through them. We are possibly not fit enough or just too lazy to get both forwards and backwards enough in match and therefore become mainly a long ball side without the aggression (Fletcher excepted) required.

The number of free kicks we concede is ridiculous and will be costly against sides whose strengths are set plays. A number of these free kicks are because of laziness out of possession and a lack of commitment to get the right side of the man. Next home game take a note of how far our players are away from the opposition when we are out of possession.

On a positive note we may have more points than our performances deserve.

• Thanks 1

You've just reminded me about Bannan and his inability to control himself and not slide around fouling everyone yesterday. His passing was woeful too, how the hell he had the cheek to complain to his teammates I'll never know.

In fairness he's our best player (alongside Fletcher), but christ he doesn't half get sloppy defensively sometimes.

21 hours ago, erowl said:

Time and again we're trying to clear our lines and hoofing straight back to Stoke as we left nobody up front.

GM keeps pulling the same stunt and coming up with the same answer!!

I wonder where he managed to get that unbalanced/sh*t squad from he has to use?

Edited by dorian gray

If it was down to Monk’s tactics we’d be shedding goals across the 90 mins. It’s the last 5+ we’re getting done and for me that lies mostly with the players. His substitutions can improve but he’s not asking Palmer to slice it or Iorfa to head it down to assist their winning goal

On 26/12/2019 at 18:01, McRightSide said:

Winnall has bite though.

Nuhiu and Rhodes are toothless 

Winnall deserves a start over Nuhui. Hes shown real intent when hes played 

hes aggressive, got pace and the Forest game and Stoke game he had some good chances with the last one leading to our second goal.

Both Winnall and Hutchinson come on and we played aggressive, attacking football for 7mins and score twice. We then defend for 18 minutes leading to their winning goal before attscking for the last 30 seconds

So they attack for 90 minutes and score 3

we attacked for 7 mins 30 secs and score 2

its all the players faults, why do they persist on sitting back when we tale the lead. In 18 minutes i only saw us break the halfway line 2 to 3 times and it was once with Palmer and twice with Winnall, everyone else was stood still

Does my head in!!! 

Unfortunately we have two 'star' players who, on their own, are both match winners. As a pair they inevitably negate each other. Yes, I'm talking about Bannan and Hutchinson.

Played separately, both are capable of being match winner/savers. Played together, Hutch plays too far forward for his best position (central defender), and Bannan too far back.He's much better when attacking.  

Surely it's the captains job to govern the defence especially as he's playing there himself. Saw the goals on SSN and our defence was non existent.Maybe others wont agree it's down to him but i'm of an age where you'd see the likes of Tony Adams,Tommy Smith shouting at his defenders all game making sure they were doing their jobs.

• Thanks 1