Monks Game Management

20 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

Jesus wept!

If you think like that then we should be winning every game.

Champions league next season.

No Biggie!

If you think for one minute we deserved any of those extra points then you are as deluded as those from the stain.

Those 13 points would put us top of the league.

Now I dont know what rank supporter you are, full time, part time, happy clapper, prawn sandwich, nuhiu hater, hardcore, away day, 60 year season ticket .... whatever...

But any fan who thinks we should be at the top of the league playing like this is an absolute muppet and needs serious counselling immediately.

We are 4th in the league and playing absolutely gash enjoy it whilst you can

Sorry but how are you meant to ‘enjoy’ today’s steaming turd of a performance?

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I can’t actually believe we’re 4th playing this averagely and conceding late goals. All feels a bit flat.. guess it’s because Utd doing so well and the EFL stadium thing. Definitely doesn’t feel as good as 2015-16 or 2016-17. If we’re still in the play offs with 10 games to go and the points deduction goes away then maybe we can get more excited

I’ve always thought that, if we could be in or around the play offs at Christmas, then. with the opportunity to rebalance the squad in January, then we could push on

Guest Ferkorf
19 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Sorry but how are you meant to ‘enjoy’ today’s steaming turd of a performance?

Enjoy being 4th I remember saying...

20 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Nuhiu has been poor (apart from the odd flashes) for about 6 years now...he isn't a footballer at all.

More than a few though, I'd say.

He's limited, and has been for 6 years - but there's a job that he does, and has done it quite well for a couple of seasons now. 

This last month though he just hasn't been on it at all. Very sluggish.

As bad as we were today, we so very almost ran away with 3 points! I think Monk did notice Plan A wasn't working hence why he took off Nuhiu/Rhodes and went for a more ball playing attack.

All credit to Stoke though, as much as I hate the place they wanted it more and defended well, we created no real goal scoring chances and at times I bet they can't believe how poor we were...watching us hoof long balls only for Shawcross to win it every time then somebody in a red and white shirt to clean up the second ball.

Still once again the same problems are our downfall;

Crumbled to pieces in the final 10 minutes, that's now vs Derby, Cardiff, Blackburn, Swansea, Stoke and WBA we've all given up points to in the last 10 - more accurately 85+. This is what stops us from being anything better than a playoff team, a better team than us would have closed all those games out and would be 2nd, almost 1st in the league.

Tactically lost without Fletcher, we are a long ball team, I've accepted that and nothing wrong with that when it works. But when it doesn't it makes us look league one esc, quality players on the pitch but nobody looking to come short or string some passes together. Nuhiu just isn't good enough to start even when we play to his strengths and Rhodes I think can be a threat he just needs the right partner but again he struggled to get involved at all.

Shoutout to Winnall who when he came on looked a threat and it was his header that was saved and went onto the bar for Lees to nod in the rebound for our 2nd - he indirectly won the penalty last weekend vs Brentford when he came on too, it was his flick on to Nuhiu who was fouled.

Atleast with Winnall he looks 'hungry' to score and get involved, I've always liked him but he's just never had a run of games (which has been understandable) but he does have skills we could use. Although he's not fast, he's considerably quicker than Rhodes and has got a good turn of pace so I wouldn't mind playing him alongside Fletcher.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

Guest Ferkorf
Just now, Westfield Owl said:

...and playing absolutely gash.

Is what you stated.

Well I’m not fine with the team I love playing badly.  Can’t really get my head around why any fan would be.

Well maybe you're watching the wrong team then pal because I never once have seen us win every single game forever...

Its alright crying over late goals but as I said to another wet wipe on here we have scored a fair few ourselves and had a decent amount of penalty decisions given.

Got to take the rough with the smooth.

Still 4th after playing gash.

Plenty of time to learn from mistakes and hit top form.

2 home games coming up and a potential 6 points

Just now, Ferkorf said:

Well maybe you're watching the wrong team then pal because I never once have seen us win every single game forever...

Its alright crying over late goals but as I said to another wet wipe on here we have scored a fair few ourselves and had a decent amount of penalty decisions given.

100%.

We have 2 winnable home games coming up. Win both, and we'll be well cemented in the top 6 going into 2020.

You can't win them all, some of our supporters don't seem to understand this.

However, that doesn't take away the fact that losing today in the circumstances was pretty disappointing.

52 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

We also picked up 4 points against Fulham, Birmingham and Charlton from where we were with 10 mins to go.

Of the 13 we’ve chucked away, Blackburn (3) and Swansea (2) we also scored in the last 10 mins and ended up with the same amount of points (1) that we were on for after 80 mins. 

So if the games had all ended on 80 mins we’re 4 points worse off for the late goals, not 13.

Its swings and roundabouts to a certain extent.. but clearly there’s an issue with us not defending well at the end. And it’s obvious why, we sit too deep and don’t dominate the games enough to see them through 

And also two points gained from Bannan's late penalty against Bristol City. 

Working from the 80th minute, I make it 9 points lost:

3 v Stoke

2 v Cardiff & Derby

1 v Blackburn & WBA

and 7 points gained:

2 v Charlton & Bristol

1 v Fulham, Swansea & Birmingham 

So a net loss of only 2 points

13 minutes ago, Ferkorf said:

It’s because we’re obviously not learning from mistakes that so many are livid about today.

Can’t you see that today’s late goals were predictable?  It’s been happening regularly since Monk took over.

We p*ss so many points away in the last few minutes of the game.  It happens regularly.  A good manager would have nipped that in the bud months ago.

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, Statto Owl said:

And also two points gained from Bannan's late penalty against Bristol City. 

Working from the 80th minute, I make it 9 points lost:

3 v Stoke

2 v Cardiff & Derby

1 v Blackburn & WBA

and 7 points gained:

2 v Charlton & Bristol

1 v Fulham, Swansea & Birmingham 

So a net loss of only 2 points

Agree, forgot about Bristol. Also think we shouldn’t have included Charlton because it’s in the 80th minute not after it.. so if the whistle went bang on 80:00 it’s 4 points

Undoubtably, the one genuine area of concern from Monks tenure so far. That said, I'd make two points -

Firstly, the players absolutely must take more responsibility, there's f**k all composure and a lack of leadership, cool heads are needed. The focus is back on the lack of mental strength of many in this squad.

Also, our bench isn't bad, there's definitely a couple of quality options missing IMO.

8 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

We p*ss so many points away in the last few minutes of the game.  It happens regularly.  A good manager would have nipped that in the bud months ago.

Not so sure its that easy, especially if it is ingrained in the players mentalities which it unfortunately is.

16 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Not so sure its that easy, especially if it is ingrained in the players mentalities which it unfortunately is.

We never conceded so many late goals under Bruce & Bullen.

We lost the Aston Villa (home) game late on but that’s about it.

Since the Cardiff (away) fixture this season, the amount of points thrown away because of late goals is unprecedented.

Edited by Westfield Owl
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

We never conceded so many late goals under Bruce & Bullen.

We lost the Aston Villa (home) game late on but that’s about it.

Since the Cardiff (away) fixture this season, the amount of points thrown away because of late goals is unprecedented.

It is, very much so.

But I'm not sure theres much else Monk can do, except play himself.

Its clear to see that Monk isn't telling the players to throw games away, and his post match words say as much. It is on the players shoulders as much as his own.

Also, the fact we've thrown away points now so many times will rest on the players minds the next time we are in this situation. It is hard to shift.

13 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

It is, very much so.

But I'm not sure theres much else Monk can do, except play himself.

Its clear to see that Monk isn't telling the players to throw games away, and his post match words say as much. It is on the players shoulders as much as his own.

Also, the fact we've thrown away points now so many times will rest on the players minds the next time we are in this situation. It is hard to shift.

The buck stops with the manager.  He’s got to sort this problem out, which so far he has failed to do.

If there’s nothing else Monk can do then what are we paying him for?