Owls take legal action over George Hirst

It does leave a bad taste all of this. I know there was a lot of debate about was in the wrong over this Hirst saga. But the bottom line is we essentially invested money in this lad and brought him through the academy. He wanted to leave for more money, fair enough, but this backdoor transfer to Leicester means we've not recouped the money we invested in him.  

But, no rules have been broken so i'm not sure how we can pursue this.

We ought to lobby the EFL/FA to shut off this avenue of getting young talent from league clubs for free. Having said that, i'm guessing FA and EFL will give zero flips. I also hope we stick two fingers up at the agents who forced this deal through.  

Edited by bigdan2003

I'll tell you want, there must be a queue of lawyer firms outside our ground. We don't half generate some business for them. 

I find this a little ironic really in that Leicester have exploited a loophole and we are unhappy, when we've done the same to the EFL. Lol

A symptom of a modern world, everyone specifically looks for loopholes instead of trying to right the game. Get what you can as quick as you can and worry about it later 

(that's not saying I don't think what Leicester did are wrong) and I'm pleased he's deciding to make a stand (well several), as the game is continually getting worse unless you are part of the elite and someone needs to do it. 

Whilst there are similarities between our ground loophole and Hirst's, I do feel it is different in that Hirst was a deliberate attempt to screw us out of money, whereas our ground loophole is from a frustrated chairman who wants to invest heavily in to our club but isn't allowed to

Personally don't think we've got a leg to stand on with Hirst. It sucks because they screwed us

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owlerfan1 said:

didn't forest do the same thing with lee chapman. we sold him to niort for peanuts, then forest got him for the same price.

They did. I'm still furious about it. We rescued him from either Stoke or Sunderland, played to his strengths and made him a better player then Clough and him did this. 

On 27/12/2019 at 05:59, splan80 said:

I find this a little ironic really in that Leicester have exploited a loophole and we are unhappy, when we've done the same to the EFL. Lol

The difference being that in the case of buying your own stadium (to appear profitable) there isn't a clear victim.

Philosophically it could be argued that another team will miss out because of such a loophole, but that's a hypothetical (as the team exploiting the loophole may have done well enough without exploiting it). Additionally, going into a season it's impossible to determine which team they would be affecting, so no single team has been targeted. 

In the case with Leicester, they exploited a loophole to deny us fair compensation. So there is a clear victim in this case. 

On 26/12/2019 at 23:10, StudentOwl said:

So just to be clear:

-EFL threatened with action over their alleged OK-ing of the sale of Hillsborough then backtracking

-Leicester to have action taken against them for George Hirst

-Local council taken to court with a ruling pending based off of perceived overzealous Hillsborough restrictions

Have I missed anything? lol 

Hopefully we can Winnall of 'em. 

image.png.eb0011a225631a77ba856769d207f2dc.png

On 26/12/2019 at 13:15, SiJ said:

In what way? lol 

Two completely separate issues. 

I doubt a few million for George Hirst is going to make up for us being denied a promotion/getting relegated. 

Think people might be looking a bit too much into this. 

People looking into things way too much and going OTT? 

Show me any evidence of that?

*Looks at first 5 comments*

Ah right, I see your point lol

Edited by poite

On 26/12/2019 at 20:53, Morepork said:

I'm left thinking that unless we officially resolved this at the time we may very well reignite it.

My interpretation of the news about Hirst junior is that we are opening another front where we can quite easily point to a blatant rules manipulation by Leicester and the player. I'm guessing that in the event we lose our stadium/accounts dispute we're going to claim there are double standards going on and that the rules in general are a bo!!ocks. 

Or......DC just feels like fighting every f***er ATM, a feeling I can relate to. lol

Thats a good shout. 

If we are going to use the 'fair trade' defence in terms of FFP, we may as well use the Hirst saga as part of our defence in relation to how it enables teams higher up to pray on those further down the leagues in terms of 'spending'. 

Looking at the various issues atm, Chansiri may be going for the footballing establishment in its entirety. 

2 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

It seems as though some rich chairmen can do what they want and some rich chairman can't, depending what league you are in.

Certainly with leicester this would seem to be the case. It doesn't help clarify matters that the EFL and the Premier League have different sets of rules, nor that the Premier league have allowed some clubs to circumnavigate the EFLs rules.  Thankfully (with the pending action against Villla) it seems that door has been closed. 

1 hour ago, gurru991 said:

looks like Villa have pulled a similar scam but using a friendly club in Europe.

Villa used Barcelona to grab a West Brom kid & now he is moving to Villa

Don't be ridiculous. He hasn't settled in Spain and isn't getting any game time with their youth team (because he isn't as good as they thought). Even West Brom aren't accusing Villa of using Barcelona as a feeder team.