Stoke - Luongo or Hutchinson?

Some of Hutch’s bookings have been stupid and eventually they have cost him two games out and possibly his place in the team.

Don’t see why he should walk straight back in , given Luongo’s good performances, perhaps it might make him realise he needs to show more control 

Just as an aside, it's worth remarking on Hutchinson's fitness this season though. We're half way through the season and he's only missed 4 league games so far, and only 1 of those was due to injury, the other 3 being suspensions.

Great to see that though his disciplinary record continues to be an issue, fitness-wise he's probably having his best season.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miffed said:

Definitley Luongo. Its time we moved on from the same old midfield pairings that havent worked for the last few years.

Yesterday was the classic type of game where Hutchinson would have been sent off.

TBF he rarely gets sent off. Last one was September 2016!

We hold our breath, but he sails just close enough to the wind to avoid the red coming out.

He does give away too many fouls in dangerous places. I hope Monk is working on this. He also gets booked way too early - 4 yellows in first halves this season alone in his 18 games. That has to affect his game.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, deano said:

Definitely ML, seems to be working so why change. 

Id be interested to see that stats for games BB and ML have started together in a 442, it must be very favourable. 

Only twice - Forest and Bristol City.

Luongo in the starting Xl has been good though.

P6. W4. D2. L0

Wigan (scored our only goal)

Stoke (scored our only goal)

Cardiff

Brum

Forest
Bristol C

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

P6. W4. D2. L0

Cardiff

Brum

Forest
Bristol C

Thanks for that, pretty overwhelming case to have in the team. 

My initial concern dropping Hutch was if we could remain solid defensively, if anything we have improved in that department. Thus his greater offensive threat while maintaining a good solid structure makes it a no brainer for me. 

I personally think Borner and Hutch are slightly the better players but have no qualms whether Lees and Luongo play. Lees has been absolutely brilliant since he has come back into the team - in fact nearly faultless. Only his distribution is his downfall. Hutch has been brilliant this season and is a natural leader. Luongo is a different type of player but again he always does a good job when he comes into the team. 

Never tinker with a team too much when getting results.

Luongo stays in and if he doesn't perform he comes out.

Hutch is the better player but he lost his place due to his lack of discipline, if he wants to stay in the team then improve it. Which at this stage of his career isn't going to happen, unless he moves into defence

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Interested to get views on this.

Would you swap Luongo for Hutch?

Really tough call. Given the strength of our squad and the direction we are going, I think the incumbent in a winning team should keep the shirt if playing well. It’s tough on Hutch, but it gives the message to one and all....keep at the top of your game.

I think Like Borner has had in the heart of the defence, Hutch now has to sit and wait for his chance, Luongo deserves his run in the team, the same goes for Palmer who has done well since coming back into the team, we used to drop players to bring back in others who were the favourite, with us letting these lads keep their places we are giving them a massive shot in the arm.

Look at Dawson as a prime example looks a different keeper from last season 2 goals a game man. he is getting better and better and yesterday he was marshalling his box. had little to do but what he had to do he did well, when he did make an error Palmer was there to bail him out, imagine Odabajo was playing he would have been half way up the pitch no where near to clear off the line.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

P6. W4. D2. L0

Cardiff

Brum

Forest
Bristol C

It surprises me that people don't see what Luongo offers. He's got the same energy as Joey but can actually go forward and play football. 

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You make a very compelling case.

There isn’t really a case to be made. Luongo has been very good since he came in, and is more offensive, technically better, and has a better injury and disciplinary record than Hutch. 

Edited by FreshOwl

16 hours ago, s6 owl said:

A midfield two of Luongo and Bannan have much more about them than Hutch and Bannan so for me i would always go with Luongo.

Agreed 

Hutchinson sits way too deep for me, which leaves us too outnumbered in midfield, especially so late in games which ends up with us being constantly put on the back foot 

Luongo just gives us so much more imo