Stoke - Luongo or Hutchinson?

Interested to get views on this.

Would you swap Luongo for Hutch?

Really tough call. Given the strength of our squad and the direction we are going, I think the incumbent in a winning team should keep the shirt if playing well. It’s tough on Hutch, but it gives the message to one and all....keep at the top of your game.

Going by Monk's previous actions, I'm expecting it to be Luongo since Palmer kept his place after Odubajo's suspension, and Lees/Dawson kept their places after Borner/Westwood became available again too.

Can't argue with it. I love Hutch, but Luongo's doing well and I hope he stays in.

Monk seems to work on the principle that if you lose your place for whatever reason and your replacement comes in and does well he stays in.

Much as I love Hutchinson’s commitment  Luongo’s performances should be rewarded. He’s much more a box to box player whereas Hutch does tend to drop much deeper.

It’s Luongo’s shirt to lose is my opinion.

I don't doubt there'll be plenty of Hutchinson games this season, but I think our central midfield has looked better (whether as a 2 or 3) with Luongo in it.

Perhaps there's more steel when Hutchinson plays, but ‘steel’ is perhaps very apt because there's also more rigidity to our shape too; Bannan and Luongo were popping up all over the pitch today (or at least so it seemed). Be interesting to see one of these heatmaps of Bannan and Luongo and compare it to a Bannan and Hutchinson one.

5 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Thought Loungo was virtually anonymous today, having said that he offers more offensively than hutch. I assume hutch is unfit or unwell otherwise why wasn't he at least on the bench in last 2 games instead of pelupessy?

He's been serving a ban these last 2 games.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, damianb1 said:

Thought Loungo was virtually anonymous today, having said that he offers more offensively than hutch. I assume hutch is unfit or unwell otherwise why wasn't he at least on the bench in last 2 games instead of pelupessy?

Man, how perceptions can vary in footy......I actually thought Luongo had a decent game yesterday, must be difficult combating his natural urge to get forward and instead concentrate more on a holding role and letting Bazza dictate the play.

• Like 2

We look more stable and confident as a team with Luongo from what I've seen, but with Hutchinson I feel his energy and enthusiasm (albeit sometimes recklessly) has the ability to get the crowd going and force us to play at a higher tempo. As much as I was just saying Luongo has been doing well, we could have done with a bit of that to improve today's flat performance.

I like Luongo , got a little bit of everything about him. Puts himself about. Not afraid of a tackle, or getting hurt. Keeps things ticking and appears near their box. He's still getting to full match sharpness too.

I think there's a lot to come from the lad. I think he's a really canny signing.

As for whether it's him or Hutch...

I think Monk is very much from the horses for courses school. He'll pick who he thinks can help us get a result on the day.