Penalty!

We’ve won 4 in our last 7 games. 

A few years back I think we didn’t get our first one until March. 

So good to be getting players in the box and giving refs a decision to make. Today was a big win and doing all we can to tilt the scales in our favour in such tight matches could be crucial come end of the season. 

• Like 2

Been crying out for pace, players that run in behind and a side that gets on the front foot in games for years. Carlos and the tache seemed to believe in slow, sideball, negative, scared tactics and surprise surprise we never ran into the box enough, put enough crosses in or had enough sustained positive play to earn penalties. 

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

Been crying out for pace, players that run in behind and a side that gets on the front foot in games for years. Carlos and the tache seemed to believe in slow, sideball, negative, scared tactics and surprise surprise we never ran into the box enough, put enough crosses in or had enough sustained positive play to earn penalties. 

You saw how we won ours today right?

• Haha 2

Just now, McRightSide said:

You saw how we won ours today right?

Overall though we attack the opposition, spend more time in their box and put more balls in and around the penalty area than we used too. It's that sort of play over a full season that helps you win these sort of penalties. In past seasons Nuhiu wouldn't even be in that position as the ball would be in the process of being reversed or passed sideways. Also you have to have a really dumb ref that gives you a christmas present. I do admit. :duntmatter:

It might have been "soft", but the point is we are putting ourselves in the position to get a penalty. 

How many of us have sat there in the last few years and thought "do Dem Blades get a sodding penalty every week?"

And yeah, there might be a bit of gamesmanship, but it is also about getting bodies in the box and trying to draw contact from the opposition. 

12 hours ago, Prutton Away said:

Hmmmmm, we got one, scored it, won.....whats the point?

The point is that we are now getting them far more regularly than in the past, and in tight games like yesterday they can be the difference. It's a positive sign that we are doing more to get ball and bodies in the box, as well as giving refs more to think about. 

7 hours ago, owls maniac said:

The point is that we are now getting them far more regularly than in the past, and in tight games like yesterday they can be the difference. It's a positive sign that we are doing more to get ball and bodies in the box, as well as giving refs more to think about. 

Definitely.

Five pens in 23 games, and the one given as a free-kick at Hull when Murphy was scythed down comfortably INSIDE the box.

Also good is that the five pens have been despatched confidently and clinically.

When I say “confidently”, I mean the taker, not me. I was cracking myself each time.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, SiJ said:

It might have been "soft", but the point is we are putting ourselves in the position to get a penalty. 

How many of us have sat there in the last few years and thought "do Dem Blades get a sodding penalty every week?"

And yeah, there might be a bit of gamesmanship, but it is also about getting bodies in the box and trying to draw contact from the opposition. 

Gamesmanship , I can’t stand it , cheating is another word for it isn’t it , can’t teams just go out and play the game the right way or doesn’t society care about the right way anymore ? . Bit deep but it’s a big issue for me . 

On 23/12/2019 at 20:24, dewsburyowl58 said:

Gamesmanship , I can’t stand it , cheating is another word for it isn’t it , can’t teams just go out and play the game the right way or doesn’t society care about the right way anymore ? . Bit deep but it’s a big issue for me . 

It used to be for me too but I got sick and tired of being on the wrong end of 'bad luck'.  In answer to your question, no i don't believe 99% of people give a throw about being honest and fair anymore.  With that in mind, F%£& em.