Standard of teams.

I must admit before the game today I was worried that we yet again wouldn't grab a chance to move higher up the table especially with Fletch missing. Whilst watching the match today I thought to myself is this all Bristol City have. Is it that this season we have no real standout teams in the championship or are we playing that well that we are making teams look ordinary yes we are more organised but we didn't play well today and got a result. I just don't see that many teams to fear this season.

3 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

The league has been the same for years now. Not many standout teams in recent years.

Be organised, good team spirit and get someone knocking goals in regular and you’ll find yourself towards the top. 

Spot on, the Cardiff promotion always springs to mind where they had the lowest possession in the league but finished 2nd.  Burnley weren’t exactly Barcelona either but they were hard working and had Andre Gray up front. 

If you can be tough to beat and have someone scoring goals to win scrappy games you have a decent chance. 
Lets hope we can sign some influential players in January 

2 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

The league has been the same for years now. Not many standout teams in recent years.

Be organised, good team spirit and get someone knocking goals in regular and you’ll find yourself towards the top. 

Agreed. Sure teams went up on merit but in the last 10 years, I'd say Wolves were the only team that were really head and shoulders above the rest in the division. 

3 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

mate,its not the other teams that are ordinary...we are just extrodinary lol

Not today we weren't kind of strange that I still think we aren't playing that well in some games but seem to get a result hmm sign of a good team.

When teams come to Hillsborough and park the bus we often find it difficult to find a way past them, although 15 shots with 6 on target today does suggest that we are learning. They can also drag the home team down to their level of performance. If GM can sort this little conundrum out then Hillsborough could just become formidable.

I watched some of the Cardiff v preston game yesterday it was dire …….Brentford are the best team ive seen down at Hillsboro this season and I expect them to be in the playoffs along with us and Fulham …..I couldn't pick the 4th side as they are all much of a muchness of mediocrity .

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I watched some of the Cardiff v preston game yesterday it was dire …….Brentford are the best team ive seen down at Hillsboro this season and I expect them to be in the playoffs along with us and Fulham …..I couldn't pick the 4th side as they are all much of a muchness of mediocrity .

Agree that game was awful but I bet the neutrals watching would say the same about ours today.

22 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Football in general. The media ram it down your throat how great it is. Get real the premier league is poor. What we saw this week in Doha was average and apparently that is the best there is. 

For a couple of years, you always felt Bristol City were a club with an idea and a philsophy on how they want to play, and that they outperformed teams because of that. Similar to Brentford really.

But, somethings amiss there at the minute. That wasn't the Bristol City that Johnson has moulded for the past four seasons. 

So negative, so turgid. Lacking any threat or idea offensively. 

There was only one team going to win that today. Usually, whenever you play a Bristol side, you expect them to have a go or at the very least, play with a structure and an idea.

You have to fear for Johnson if that continues. As bad a side I've seen this season. And there's been some contenders. 

I actually think Brentford are the best team I've seen this season. I think they're better than both Leeds and WBA actually.

Still, I thought they were poor at Hillsborough by their own standards - particularly so in the 2nd half, but even their 1st half seemed to be played at a lower gear than I've often seen them play in.

6 minutes ago, owls7 said:

Agree that game was awful but I bet the neutrals watching would say the same about ours today.

think there was a lot more action in our game …..Bentley kept them  in it (as he always does against us )  I don't recall the keepers yesterday having much to do . 

Just now, cowl said:

I actually think Brentford are the best team I've seen this season. I think they're better than both Leeds and WBA actually.

Still, I thought they were poor at Hillsborough by their own standards - particularly so in the 2nd half, but even their 1st half seemed to be played at a lower gear than I've often seen them play in.

Leeds are far and away the best side in the division in my opinion. 

WBA are the team with the nous and know-how to get results. And that's why those two will run away with it.

After that, I'd say ourselves, Brentford and Fulham are probably the next tier of sides, you'd expect to feature in the playoffs come the end of the year. Both ourselves and Brentford both look good at both ends of the pitch. Brentford certainly easier on the eye, but ourselves seem to play the margins very effectively under Monk, and are really excelling in terms of xG. Fulham ooze attacking talent, yet are soft defensively. Expect that to change when Hector comes into their reckoning next month.