Rhodes to Celtic

Guest Manwithastick

Just now, SiJ said:

I'm sorry, but that is complete nonsense. 

Celtic are a huge club. Yes, they may struggle to compete with the European elite, but that doesn't take away from how big of a club they are. 

By your logic, the likes of Ajax (bar the last few seasons) wouldn't be deemed a big club. 

I dont think they are, no. Not anymore anyway. They've won the European Cup 4 times have Ajax but done nothing for 25 years, except last season. They're only a big club in the Netherlands nowadays. All their best players left them for better things, that doesn't happen if you're one of the biggest in Europe. May change if the Eredivisie comes good again.

Celtic have always only been a big club in Scotland. One European cup, but so have Steaua Bucharest, and are they a big club? Of course not.

Weird thing to say, but players would much rather come to england and sign for the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth these days than they would Ajax.

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I dont think they are, no. Not anymore anyway. They've won the European Cup 4 times have Ajax but done nothing for 25 years, except last season. They're only a big club in the Netherlands nowadays. All their best players left them for better things, that doesn't happen if you're one of the biggest in Europe. May change if the Eredivisie comes good again.

Celtic have always only been a big club in Scotland. One European cup, but so have Steaua Bucharest, and are they a big club? Of course not.

Weird thing to say, but players would much rather come to england and sign for the likes of Brighton and Bournemouth these days than they would Ajax.

Ahahahaha. 

Ajax have to sell their best players because they can't financially compete with teams in England, Italy, Spain etc. 

That doesn't make them a small club. 

Jesus Christ. 

Just now, wilyfox said:

Nah. This team should put 70pts+ on the board to keep us safe even if EFL hit us hard. I'm not even sure the case will be settled this season anyway. Brum's took 9 months and theirs was more straightforward than ours. 

Out of interest, if that were the case, and we managed to get promoted, would the EFL have any clout if we were in the Premier?

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Ahahahaha. 

Ajax have to sell their best players because they can't financially compete with teams in England, Italy, Spain etc. 

That doesn't make them a small club. 

Jesus Christ. 

I'm sorry mate, but it does.

If they were a big club, they'd just be able to say no. But players use them as a stepping stone to bigger things. Porto, Benfica etc are similar in regards too.

Money is everything in football these days.

We're a smaller club than Brighton now, due to money. Sad fact, but a true one.

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Out of interest, if that were the case, and we managed to get promoted, would the EFL have any clout if we were in the Premier?

Possibly. Weren't Bournemouth hit with a fine after they went up? QPR were dealt with on their return. Dunno, but I doubt there'll be a quick outcome - which is good for us. Keep the season alive as long as poss, I say. 

18 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

They're only a huge club in Scotland. Rest of europe, they arent a big club.

Youd get a chance of winning a league, but it's a Scottish premiership trophy. Grand scheme of things, it means nowt.

Promotion to the proper Premier League tho, that's the real aim for most players. Especially the British ones. 

Rubbish.

Win every week, win the league every season, European football, big crowd, passionate fanbase. 

I’d rather play for Celtic than be a Championship bench warmer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

If they were a big club, they'd just be able to say no. But players use them as a stepping stone to bigger things. Porto, Benfica etc are similar in regards too.

It really doesn't. 

No one is going to sit around and say that Ajax are a smaller club than Bournemouth. 

Plus, all of this doesn't mean Jordan Rhodes going to Celtic is a backward step as you so ridiculously claimed. 

Once again, as you always do, you've made a daft statement and are now having to back it up. 

3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It really doesn't. 

No one is going to sit around and say that Ajax are a smaller club than Bournemouth. 

Plus, all of this doesn't mean Jordan Rhodes going to Celtic is a backward step as you so ridiculously claimed. 

Once again, as you always do, you've made a daft statement and are now having to back it up. 

I originally made the statement as a joke, it's the likes of you who jumped on it lol if we decide to sell him he won't have a choice.

Still doesn't change the fact that no decent player would want to play in Scotland. 

Ajax have more money than Bournemouth anyway, so not sure of you're point there.

11 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Celtic are truly MASSIVE and I’d say the same about Rangers.

I’ve never seen so muchshit in all my life.

I generally like your posts but you’re talking utterbollocks here fella.

• Haha 1

He's better than a Lg2 standard player, so he would really shine up there - the quality of football up there compared to the Championship is poor.

24 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

but now you’re comparing a decision to move between a premier league club and Celtic - rather than a championship club and Celtic.

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I originally made the statement as a joke, it's the likes of you who jumped on it lol if we decide to sell him he won't have a choice.

Still doesn't change the fact that no decent player would want to play in Scotland. 

Ajax have more money than Bournemouth anyway, so not sure of you're point there.

No decent players want to play in Scotland...

Yep, ok then. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, trev said:

Agree with this...plus he will get bags of chances and probably goals.

If he scores a load it may even mean me can sell him next summer for actual money. 

I'm assuming he still has 18 months left with us?

think he's done in the summer isn't he? 3 1/2 year deal signed in Jan 17 I think.

8 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Think you will find  if he decides hes going nowhere its Wednesday that dont have a choice 

Can’t see them getting anywhere near what he earns here, so we’d still be paying a hefty chunk of his wages at best. We can pay his wages and he can fight for a first team place or we can pay his wages for him to score goals in Scotland....

unless one out/one in keeps the efl away for the time being