Jump to content
A12owl

Garry Monk deserves HUGE credit

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, daztheowl said:

And if we have an upturn, opinions will probably swing again. 

 

He’s started a process, to which I, personally, am prepared to cut him a little slack with. 

 

He’s gone off the beaten track with his squad selections, probably to fill the voids where we have our shortcomings. 

 

I'm all for a bit of experimentation, but we've paid the price. However, even a prat like me can see there's a solid tactical genesis in the making. 

 

Upturn starts Saturday. 

 

UTO 

 

Oh, and stick Eratt-Thompson at RB GM. 

 

What are you basing that on?

 

We were abysmal in the 3 games between Christmas and New Year. The manager then slated the squad after Wigan, we were supposed to see an upturn after that, then we signed some new players, they were supposed to bring some much needed energy and focus to our attack......we have failed against sides in the bottom 6 games after game, I can't hold out much hope for an upturn.

 

I was open minded about Monk's appointment, certainly willing to give him a chance and you can't argue against the OP in this thread at that time. Monk has failed to adapt to the loss of a couple of key players since then though and has chucked in some baffling tactics and selections along the way. 5 points from 10 games against some of the worst teams in the division is worrying and the performances don't fill anyone who has witnessed them with a great deal of optimism.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

What are you basing that on?

 

We were abysmal in the 3 games between Christmas and New Year. The manager then slated the squad after Wigan, we were supposed to see an upturn after that, then we signed some new players, they were supposed to bring some much needed energy and focus to our attack......we have failed against sides in the bottom 6 games after game, I can't hold out much hope for an upturn.

 

I was open minded about Monk's appointment, certainly willing to give him a chance and you can't argue against the OP in this thread at that time. Monk has failed to adapt to the loss of a couple of key players since then though and has chucked in some baffling tactics and selections along the way. 5 points from 10 games against some of the worst teams in the division is worrying and the performances don't fill anyone who has witnessed them with a great deal of optimism.  

 

Saturdays game was recoverable, till Urhoghide got sent off, coupled with ref and linesmens ineptitude.

 

Should still have beaten them with 10 men all said, but there was something in the play, particularly in the first 15 minutes that were inspiring. Pace going forward, slicker passing, just got marked out of the wing play eventually, instead of utilising the open space. 

 

Monk will have picked up on it, and address it accordingly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were up to third when this thread was started. 

 

Had won four our of our last five and were looking like we had a serious chance of the play offs. 

 

What has happened since has been nothing short of crazy. 

 

The drop off in terms of results, performances has been staggering. 

 

From a possible promotion contender to a tream who'd struggle in League Two. 

 

Bonkers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be interested to see examples of other teams that have gone from a great run of form over ten games, to an abysmal run of form in the following ten games. Just not sure how to research it?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I would be interested to see examples of other teams that have gone from a great run of form over ten games, to an abysmal run of form in the following ten games. Just not sure how to research it?

 

Just look for the list of clubs Monk has managed.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, daztheowl said:

 

Saturdays game was recoverable, till Urhoghide got sent off, coupled with ref and linesmens ineptitude.

 

Should still have beaten them with 10 men all said, but there was something in the play, particularly in the first 15 minutes that were inspiring. Pace going forward, slicker passing, just got marked out of the wing play eventually, instead of utilising the open space. 

 

Monk will have picked up on it, and address it accordingly. 

 

I agree we looked lively first 20 minutes - but when all is said and done, 1st half we had 1 shot on target at home against a team that were in as poor form as we are. Once the goal went in from their first meaningful attack we looked unlikely to score ourselves. The sending off didn't help 2nd half and we did stick at it far better than we did against Blackburn but Murphy looked the only real threat, as Harris did first half. Monk praised both of these players after the last game - but still chose to leave Murphy on the bench.

 

We have taken 5 points from 10 games, failed to score at home yet this year and I can't actually remember our last goal from open play at Hillsborough.

 

I look forward to Monk addressing things accordingly, not sure what he has been doing on that front for the past 2 months though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, cookeh said:

 

Just look for the list of clubs Monk has managed.

 

Classic lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

What are you basing that on?

 

We were abysmal in the 3 games between Christmas and New Year. The manager then slated the squad after Wigan, we were supposed to see an upturn after that, then we signed some new players, they were supposed to bring some much needed energy and focus to our attack......we have failed against sides in the bottom 6 games after game, I can't hold out much hope for an upturn.

 

I was open minded about Monk's appointment, certainly willing to give him a chance and you can't argue against the OP in this thread at that time. Monk has failed to adapt to the loss of a couple of key players since then though and has chucked in some baffling tactics and selections along the way. 5 points from 10 games against some of the worst teams in the division is worrying and the performances don't fill anyone who has witnessed them with a great deal of optimism.  

This about sums up my feelings towards Garry.

Was open minded, if not inspired, by his appointment and the alarm bells have been ringing for some now.

The tone of his post match interviews are very telling too.

I'd like nothing more than to see him and the team turn a corner but struggling to see how this might come about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rhubarb n Custard said:

This about sums up my feelings towards Garry.

Was open minded, if not inspired, by his appointment and the alarm bells have been ringing for some now.

The tone of his post match interviews are very telling too.

I'd like nothing more than to see him and the team turn a corner but struggling to see how this might come about.

 

I said a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't advocate getting rid of him now as no self respecting manager in their right mind would take this job on for the remainder of this season given our predicament.

The problem now is that we are under-performing against the worst teams and I can't see where 3 points is going to come from. I'd say the only realistic choice we have is Monk or Bullen until the end of the season and a few weeks ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting Bullen would be a better choice.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My two Penn'orth. Seems odd to be posting on a thread about Monk deserving credit after our abysmal run of results and performances. I mention performances because up until a couple of months ago we were playing some decent football at times, but not, IMO, always getting the results we deserved. Now though, the performances also have been poor. However, I believe in giving a manager a long enough period to build his own team and not just struggle on with a squad built by former managers, as well as inheriting any number of issues. The club is in a hole at the moment, for sure and results are looking hard to come by, but for me, Monk needs to be given time to make the sort of changes he's talked about. That means he needs to be able to rebuild over the summer and see what next season brings. If it doesn't work out, then get rid.

 

We need to have the possible points deduction situation sorted and then everybody can focus on what they need to do, no excuses. Until then, we need to get behind Monk and the lads. Personally, I take the long view, and am realistic that while hanging on to Monk after the recent run of results might not inspire a lot of fans, getting rid of him because we are angry at how things are going is not the way forward. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I would be interested to see examples of other teams that have gone from a great run of form over ten games, to an abysmal run of form in the following ten games. Just not sure how to research it?

 

 


Been thinking same. When I come out of OT world, the rest of the country aren’t really surprised or bothered about our current decline. It doesn’t register. It gets 10 seconds on the EFL show. 
The only other people with a passing interest are gloating supporters of other local teams. 
Wait until Barnsley overtake us, then we can panic! 
:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

 

I said a couple of weeks ago that I wouldn't advocate getting rid of him now as no self respecting manager in their right mind would take this job on for the remainder of this season given our predicament.

The problem now is that we are under-performing against the worst teams and I can't see where 3 points is going to come from. I'd say the only realistic choice we have is Monk or Bullen until the end of the season and a few weeks ago I would have laughed at anyone suggesting Bullen would be a better choice.......

think he would....and i'm not a big fan of Bullen..but at least we would play our best team....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Monk deserves something but it certainly isn’t credit. Taking a team on 3rd to become a laughing stock with players banned from the team in two months takes some doing. 
Get this idiot out of my club!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

methinks Monk should have buttoned his lip instead of indicating that some players will be gone at the end of the season after the Wigan game , yes we capitulated and yes the players were garbage , but their are other ways to get the point across ,telling players they have no future at the club  half way through the season  is stupid to say the minimum ,and the reaction is what we are seeing now ,arguments amongst the fans and handbags at dawn in some cases , players who don't seem to want to play and we can't buy a win against lower placed clubs  who are in some cases heart and soul above our lot ,Sorry but this can't continue as is and it needs sorting sooner rather than later ,that said I still advocate playing our strongest side inclusive of the two rebels (so called by others) before it is too late to do anything ,league 1 should not even be an option, we as a team should be striving every game for the opposite  and the question is are we  and is monk on the same page or are silly ego's getting in the way , 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Monk deserves something but it certainly isn’t credit. Taking a team on 3rd to become a laughing stock with players banned from the team in two months takes some doing. 
Get this idiot out of my club!

And hopefully Chansiri will follow.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Monk deserves something but it certainly isn’t credit. Taking a team on 3rd to become a laughing stock with players banned from the team in two months takes some doing. 
Get this idiot out of my club!

what makes me so laugh is mention Megson who had us in 3rd , and there is an owlstalk eruption because he only won 1 in eleven , yet here we have monk who has won 1 in ten and he's is the savior lol 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

And hopefully Chansiri will follow.

 

Depends who replaces him. Any idiot is better than Monk. Not sure whether we can get a decent chairman or not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Depends who replaces him. Any idiot is better than Monk. Not sure whether we can get a decent chairman or not

One who knows what he is doing is a  cracking start.

One who knows what he is doing and has a plan would be even better.

One who knows what he is doing, has a plan and is stinking rich and we've hit the jackpot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must admit it was funny reading through the comments but these types of threads will always pop up like this when we are doing well its normal.

Fair play to @ashley8 though bang on the money and saw it like I did back then :ph34r:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, trevdi9 said:

methinks Monk should have buttoned his lip instead of indicating that some players will be gone at the end of the season after the Wigan game , yes we capitulated and yes the players were garbage , but their are other ways to get the point across ,telling players they have no future at the club  half way through the season  is stupid to say the minimum ,and the reaction is what we are seeing now ,arguments amongst the fans and handbags at dawn in some cases , players who don't seem to want to play and we can't buy a win against lower placed clubs  who are in some cases heart and soul above our lot ,Sorry but this can't continue as is and it needs sorting sooner rather than later ,that said I still advocate playing our strongest side inclusive of the two rebels (so called by others) before it is too late to do anything ,league 1 should not even be an option, we as a team should be striving every game for the opposite  and the question is are we  and is monk on the same page or are silly ego's getting in the way , 

 

I agree he shouldn’t have said anything, but maybe he was thinking that the players who believed they were the ones not getting a new contract at the end of the season would shake themselves and put the effort in to get that new contract?If it was me personally itd spur me on. I guess not all personalities are the same though and a few have effectively downed tools.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...