Dawson and the defence

12 hours ago, Suzuki_San said:

Nice picking out the only negative after going 3rd!

He was rushed into a few kicks quite well by their forwards. Any keeper would have spaffed a couple of those out of bounds. 

It sounded like there were groans even when he kicked it out of play on purpose so we could get Borner on for Fox who had already gone off.

5 hours ago, Dan™ said:

It sounded like there were groans even when he kicked it out of play on purpose so we could get Borner on for Fox who had already gone off.

Doesn’t matter that we haven’t lost (in the league) with him in goal, doesn’t matter that he’s only conceded around 0.5 goals per game (even with 1 being a penalty and one a controversial free kick) some sections of our fan base will never ever take to him because of who he has replaced. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Everybody on here knows I’m not a Dawson fan and I believe that Westwood is by far a superior goalkeeper. However, Dawson has come on massively this season and it’s his shirt to lose at the moment. Defence have been outstanding. Nothing more to say.

Can't fault Dawson, neither can I fault Tom Lees, maybe not all will agree but he gives us stability, is a calming influence on whoever plays alongside him, can't remember if it was last season or the one before when he had a lengthy lay off with injury and we struggled in defence, it was a relief to see him back. 

Not sure why the OP thinks this happy state of affairs won't get featured on this site, because patently it gets talked about a lot. But no harm in talking about it again.

One thing I noticed yesterday was the relative scarcity of tackles, which is always a good sign. This time last year desperate tackling was default mode for us: lots of Rorke's Drift interventions in the final third. And therefore lots of dangerous setpieces. I don't think yesterday we conceded a free kick closer than the midway point between goal and halfway line.

Luongo and Reach were both top notch defensively yesterday. Reach in particular used to get criticised by the less cerebral of the brethren for "neshing" tackles, but he has above-average positional sense and good running, and that's what he brings to the table.

On a separate point, Boerner had an excellent game, again, and so did Lees of whom I haven't always been the greatest fan. I do understand the case for Iorfa at CB, but can't help wondering if Boerner/Lees as a combo with Iorfa able to come forward more doesn't work better. These are nice dilemmas to have.

Guest Grez Bez
18 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

One thing I noticed today, Dawson was very loud - not just when we were defending but also when we were on the offensive.

That's only because the atmosphere was so bad that you could hear all the players :ph34r:

20 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

That claim right at the end was fantastic just relived all the pressure, great to see from a young goalkeeper 

And it is good to see we have a 'keeper who will come off his line to collect those sort of crosses.

Dawson has always been a good shot stopper but has been little weak in commanging the six yard box and the penalty area on crosses.

Good to see he's fixing those weaknesses.