Rhian Brewster on loan

Just now, gurujuan said:

Ha ha, yeah maybe

I can see your point for sure as we do lack those attributes, and even if they do cost on loan they will cost more permanently. I’m just wary as these signings always promise much but never seem to deliver.

9 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I can see that, but don’t the best ones cost millions in loan fees or is that just from the likes of Chelsea? Maybe we always end up with the ones that do crap because we don’t pay?

Was it Jimmy Smith we all got excited about because he was the highly rated captain of Chelsea's reserves? He was garbage. 

Not to mention the likes of Sanchez Watt, Hallam Hope and Lewis Baker who came from big clubs as teenagers but looked lost at first team level. Ross Barkley was the exception, even at that age he looked a cut above everybody else and you could tell he had genuine class, and Kenwyne Jones was 20 and arrived without any fanfare.  But our most successful loanees have usually been a bit older and more experienced, e.g. Hector, Carson, Marshall. 

10 hours ago, scram said:

There are no rules because a kid under 8 cannot officially sign for an academy

Hence the best kids at that age generally play for several clubs until they can officially sign - they can are restricted to playing for that club only - unless permission given to play for school or county rep team

Yes of course but normally that rule hits at u9 or u10 when you hit acadamy football, you will find that normally they are restricted to up to an hour. Hour and a half as they get older. Which is why I cant see this lad travelling from London. Back when he was young. Especially for our academy. 

Clubs of course can and will bend the rules. 

Think you probably have more knowledge on it scram, I only get probably half the story from some of the parents I know who's kids play acadamy footie. 

Comes across as a very cut throat dirty business. One I'm glad my lad isn't quite good enough for. 

Edited by Maddogbob

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Was it Jimmy Smith we all got excited about because he was the highly rated captain of Chelsea's reserves? He was garbage. 

Not to mention the likes of Sanchez Watt, Hallam Hope and Lewis Baker who came from big clubs as teenagers but looked lost at first team level. Ross Barkley was the exception, even at that age he looked a cut above everybody else and you could tell he had genuine class, and Kenwyne Jones was 20 and arrived without any fanfare.  But our most successful loanees have usually been a bit older and more experienced, e.g. Hector, Carson, Marshall. 

When you look at where these players currently ply their trade, it's no surprise they were no great success at Hillsborough...

Jimmy Smith - Yeovil Town

Sanchez Watt - Wealdstone

Lewis Baker - on loan at Fortuna Düsseldorf

Hallam Hope - Carlisle United

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Spoke to the person I used to work with who works at melwood again. We have asked about Brewster but so have loads of others, at least five championship clubs and two Prem.

Liverpool want guarantees on minutes or the fee is higher. Quote was, "if he's not playing he's better off training with the first team here every day than with lesser players". 

Edited by Adem Poric

1 hour ago, Adem Poric said:

Spoke to the person I used to work with who works at melwood again. We have asked about Brewster but so have loads of others, at least five championship clubs and two Prem.

Liverpool want guarantees on minutes or the fee is higher. Quote was, "if he's not playing he's better off training with the first team here every day than with lesser players". 

Thats a fair argument actually

I see myself as a sort of Brewster/Nketiah expert due to the fact I have them both up front for Wednesday in my Fifa career. I can confirm that despite a promising start for both lads Eddie has proven himself as the more consistent over a season. If we could also get Tom Davies on loan from Everton then according to FIFA we are going up as champions.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Marshall was 20 when he was on loan to be fair. 

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

I see myself as a sort of Brewster/Nketiah expert due to the fact I have them both up front for Wednesday in my Fifa career. I can confirm that despite a promising start for both lads Eddie has proven himself as the more consistent over a season. If we could also get Tom Davies on loan from Everton then according to FIFA we are going up as champions.

Meanwhile on planet earth

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

13 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Problem is, if players aren't moved on and Brewster comes in with guaranteed minutes. It creates fracture, instead of unity

In an obvious sense, it would help to know whether (or more realistically, how many) points are going to be deducted.

If we're going to be knocked out of contention this season, I don't really see the point in paying heavily for the privilege of developing a player for Liverpool only for them to go back at the end of the season.

Equally, we might well find ourselves under a transfer embargo as well as a point deduction, in which case it would be hoped we'd have been able to do some business before any such punishments - and under the assumption that there might just be some money this January (after all Monk has implied as much), I'd rather we look at the League One/Two, or foreign markets for a prospect.

Otherwise, if we had the benefit of knowing that somehow we were to escape the point deduction, I'd look at trying to net whatever quality is available to us from the Prem loan market for whatever money we have available, but furthermore, I'd be looking more at those well established players that for whatever reason (injury/form etc) find themselves out of their team.

So, either way, I'd prefer for us not to go in for Brewster.

1 hour ago, cowl said:

In an obvious sense, it would help to know whether (or more realistically, how many) points are going to be deducted.

If we're going to be knocked out of contention this season, I don't really see the point in paying heavily for the privilege of developing a player for Liverpool only for them to go back at the end of the season.

Equally, we might well find ourselves under a transfer embargo as well as a point deduction, in which case it would be hoped we'd have been able to do some business before any such punishments - and under the assumption that there might just be some money this January (after all Monk has implied as much), I'd rather we look at the League One/Two, or foreign markets for a prospect.

Otherwise, if we had the benefit of knowing that somehow we were to escape the point deduction, I'd look at trying to net whatever quality is available to us from the Prem loan market for whatever money we have available, but furthermore, I'd be looking more at those well established players that for whatever reason (injury/form etc) find themselves out of their team.

So, either way, I'd prefer for us not to go in for Brewster.

It’s quite simple, under all of those scenarios, all we can do is secure as many points as possible, either to help us achieve promotion, or in the case of some draconian punishment, to help stave off relegation Better players will help us achieve that