SAG/SYP Farce

Not expecting any changes. Sag will say its a public safety issue. Once they've said that we won't be able to counter it with anything. Public safety trumps everything and no amount of pointing out the pigs ground specifics or the past god knows how many years without incident will make a difference. Add in the recent Leeds game that went off without a hitch and it's penistone Road from now on. 

On a related note, did anyone ever find out who the sag people are and is it true some of em are linked to united? I saw it mentioned on here a few times but don't recall seeing any proof. Might be pertinent. 

Edited by latemodelchild
Added the last bit.

A solicitor once told me (quite a while ago now) that magistrates are always influenced by 'expert opinion'

And a case will often be decided by the side who can provide the most convincing 'experts'

I would argue that fans who have attended Hillsborough consistently over many years - esp. ST holders in the North Stand, and those who would

regularly use Leppings Lane for access and egress - are more qualified to give an expert opinion that some (fill in the gap) who attended last season's

Villa game in order to provide the report SYP were asking for

Why SAG should then respond to that report is such a draconian manner is perhaps another question

• Haha 1

One of the tings that was mentioned was the police being unable to keep away fans in the ground after the final whistle due to an excuse about area within the concourse of the away end. This didnt stop the police keeping Newcastle fans in the away end at Bramall Lane after their victory against United recently. They have also stopped fans circulating between the South Stand and Leppings Lane for whatever reason but are quite happy for fans to walk past each other on Catch Bar Lane along a smaller passage.

Down to statistics? Police would have to show that it's a problem in how many % of games in a season which would be less than 1% I'm guessing. They will have to show it's a recurring problem. Could be that we are required to take measures for certain games eg United which we have done in the past.

The HSE will be keeping a close eye on this. As a Government statutory body, SAG report into them, and the HSE will want to know that all proper process and assessment of regulations has been followed at Hillsborough and that the principle of the regs are consistently applied as with all other sports grounds across the country. This requirement will also be something the court will wish to see, so at least we should see a fair assessment and outcome.

I'm sure SWFC's legal and expert witness team will have collated all the evidence from grounds across the country to show that Sheffield SAG are not applying the regs consistently. Hopefully they also present evidence that the likes of Mothersole, who is CEO of one of the parties who make up SAG, openly threatened SWFC with 'action' following the Luton evening game as a result of social media 'reports' of overcrowding on the North stand concourses. SCC later said SWFC had applied all regs but Mothersole didn't retract his comments or comment further - another case of 'throw enough mud it will stick', which hopefully will show the level of persecution these bodies have been engaged in.

• Thanks 1

No idea on the legal side but I know a police Sargent  who does games at hillsboro and when I complain to her about how syp police games she always answers that there is very little trouble so there policy works.....if they can put that before some bumbling magistrates they could well factor that into there judgement ..

1 hour ago, Ethel The Tree said:

This week, isn't it?

Remember reading somewhere it was scheduled for the 18th & 19th December

I hope our legal team are prepared to go to war  :mad:

My wife is on jury service this week...maybe she can help!!

Hopefully the case is being heard in Carlisle!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

One of the tings that was mentioned was the police being unable to keep away fans in the ground after the final whistle due to an excuse about area within the concourse of the away end. This didnt stop the police keeping Newcastle fans in the away end at Bramall Lane after their victory against United recently. They have also stopped fans circulating between the South Stand and Leppings Lane for whatever reason but are quite happy for fans to walk past each other on Catch Bar Lane along a smaller passage.

How would they cope if all the fans buggered off at half time like good old Forest fans did on Saturday? :duntmatter:

• Haha 3

Surely we will get something out of this, even if we don't Win, and get this overturned we should get some way of moving forward so we are able to get back up to capacity.

As I understand it there has been a complete breakdown in communication and we've basically been told your doing this indefinitely 

4 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

On a related note, did anyone ever find out who the sag people are and is it true some of em are linked to united? I saw it mentioned on here a few times but don't recall seeing any proof. Might be pertinent.

The former chair of SAG is the Head of Operations at Bramall Lane.

Surely health and safety dictates that you cannot just have one exit

What happens if someone has a heart attack near the end of the game and ambulances enter the area at the corner of the North stand and Kop, no one would be able to get out

Another one, what about a bomb scare, everyone running in the same direction, people would get trampled on

I've been sitting in the North for many years without incident

I'm more at risk now with my health issues because I can't enter or exit via Leppings Lane

I have to take the long route and walk the full length of Vere Road, to walk almost the full length of the Cantilever stand to get to my seat

At the beginning of the season we kept getting stopped walking down Leppings Lane towards Vere Road, some jobsworth told us we had to walk down Catchbar Lane, we told them to fuuck off and we carried on down Leppings Lane

• Haha 2

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

4 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

Not expecting any changes. Sag will say its a public safety issue. Once they've said that we won't be able to counter it with anything. Public safety trumps everything and no amount of pointing out the pigs ground specifics or the past god knows how many years without incident will make a difference. Add in the recent Leeds game that went off without a hitch and it's penistone Road from now on. 

That's is all very well but no one seems to know what the issue is and what needs to be done so we can get Hillsborough back up to a near 40,000 seater stadium. 

When the team is doing well we would be getting more in the stands if of course the pricing was reduce to a sensible cost.

4 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I think there was a figure in the report that the holding area at LL was around 3k capacity and if the stand was full it couldn't hold that many. Surely it will only be maybe 1 or 2 games this applies to thes season so surely they can adjust the policing just for those games and the rest can resume to normal operations

The Wednesday Week podcast covered this topic at the end of one episode a few months back

I listened to Laura's views - speaking as a North Stand ST holder of many years standing - and thought the magistrates ought to consider

these views, reasonable and expressed in a sensible fashion and compare them to the 'expert' opinions of one man with tape measure, stopwatch

and pocket calculator who may well (for all I know) be visiting that part of the stadium for the first time