Dawson

14 hours ago, fpowl said:

Wrong 

not taking anything away from Dawson 

but to suggest Westwood’s time at our club is nearly over is just writing the lad out 

he can still be number one push cammy for that role or even be an great member of the squad 

westwood is in his latter end of his playing career 2-6 years left at best but he isn’t done yet 

great pro, great lad, still a very very good keeper 

He is a very good goalkeeper no doubt about that but dawson is growing in confidence, starting to believe he belongs between the sticks as no1, and I personally think monk has dropped him and its dawson's position to now lose 

(Oh look, it's StudentOwl being controversial... how original)

I think we'd have more points on the board if Dawson had been first choice all season vs Westwood. Purely IMO and definitely unprovable either way... but when I reflect on the penalties given away and the red cards that Westwood has done... I dunno. Keiren makes the highlight reel saves I suppose that might even it out.

Disagree that we'd have more points on the board but that's a negligible decision, you may be right.

I still think Westwood is the better keeper, but he's coming down from his apex, and Dawson is climbing it - for that reason only I'd say stay with Dawson.

Actually I have another reason, we don't want him to leave on a free.  the only way he's signing a new contract in reality is with game time, and a lot of it.

Edited by Salmonbones
full stop, comma!
  • Thanks 1

I’m happy with Dawson but if he makes one mistake we must drop him and bring in Westwood 

If Westwood then makes a mistake then I will turn on him and he must then be dropped and Dawson back in

Whoever is in net at kick off is my favourite keeper until they make a mistake 

• Haha 1

To be fair we have all seen how well Cameron Dawson has done this season.  But so will the EPL and the rest of the Championship even Glasgow Rangers are reported to have been watching him and with contract running out decisions will have to be made about offering him a new contract or lose him...

15 minutes ago, outlaw pete said:

To be fair we have all seen how well Cameron Dawson has done this season.  But so will the EPL and the rest of the Championship even Glasgow Rangers are reported to have been watching him and with contract running out decisions will have to be made about offering him a new contract or lose him...

Yep, Dawson needs to be playing here otherwise he will be off , this isn’t just a lad who may or may not be good enough 

Wildsmith I dunno, needs some competitive games under his belt again and see how he’s looking,  he had potential on par with Dawson but he probably needs a loan now 

Nicked this from @trumbullowl in his excellent Teamsheets thread.

Dawson’s 8 starts this season:-

W5. D3. L0. Only 5 goals conceded.

For a young keeper this must be doing his confidence no end of good.

Also worth thinking about some of those meagre 5 goals he has conceded. The Derby pen, the Cardiff Flint Windmill (thanks Ref) and the Charlton wicked defection then post.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Brissy-owl said:

He is a very good goalkeeper no doubt about that but dawson is growing in confidence, starting to believe he belongs between the sticks as no1, and I personally think monk has dropped him and its dawson's position to now lose 

I don’t doubt this, I was responding more tho the point you made that westwood time is nearly don with us 

it’s far from over westwood is class in every way 

any championship club would still love to employ somebody of Westwoods , experience, attitude, and application I can’t see us being any different 

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

I don’t doubt this, I was responding more tho the point you made that westwood time is nearly don with us 

any championship club would still love to employ somebody of Westwoods , experience, attitude, and application I can’t see us being any different 

You think it’s value for money for a club in financial difficulties to have their back up keeper as one of their highest earners?

3 hours ago, fpowl said:

Well yes... because they don’t see the Westwood of this season making mistake after mistake. 

I really wish everything would stop being so extreme

Westwood had a poor start by his standards, so hes 'finished, over the hill' etc. 

Dawson had some good games, some where hes had to do relatively little and 'hes 100% number one now, no way Westwood can get back in'

Now wait for a mistake from Dawson and it'll be 'Get Westwood back in, he's class Dawson isnt fit to lace his boots'. 

The reality isn't any of the above really. 

Westwood is quality, had a poor start, Dawson is promising and having a good patch. 

Just let them fight it out and enjoy the fact we have 2 very capable keepers at this football club (thats not including JW) and either way whoever is in net, we can have every confidence in them. 

On 14/12/2019 at 19:48, Sgt Wednesday said:

This is exactly how it should happen, an experienced Westwood taking the lead for the last few years and the younger keepers developing in the background.

The perfect ending would be to see Cammy overtake Westwood, lets not make it a negative.

Also lets not underestimate Westy's contribution to the development of Dawson.

Yeah, he really helped last year when he was stirring up stuff on social media based on a video game ranking.

2 hours ago, sonofbert2 said:

Yeah, he really helped last year when he was stirring up stuff on social media based on a video game ranking.

Treating our senior players like dirt proved to be the wrong decision and cost Jos his job, obviously you think he was right to freeze out Westy and Hutch etc. 

I think you will find you are on your own with that opinion. Results also prove you wrong and I understand why Westwood was frustrated.

But keep hating on one of the best Keepers we have had at the club for decades, great support.

Edited by Sgt Wednesday