Xbox Series X (the next gen Xbox console)

Backwards compatibility; improving last gen games performance + Game pass - really looking promising for Microsoft.

Unsure about the tactic of letting everyone on YouTube fully review the system before launch tho, does it make it less special when you receive it? 

On 09/10/2020 at 22:21, bigash_swfc said:

Backwards compatibility; improving last gen games performance + Game pass - really looking promising for Microsoft.

Unsure about the tactic of letting everyone on YouTube fully review the system before launch tho, does it make it less special when you receive it? 

Maybe if you dont watch em it will help with that conundrum.

• Haha 1

I had the S pre-ordered. But then the available memory concerned me after my nightmare managing 512GB on the One S last gen.

I saw the expandable memory...

Saw the price...

Then thought I might aswell just get the Series X. So cancelled the S
Was a bit late by the time I had that thought though.... :duntmatter:

17 hours ago, Gerinako said:

I had the S pre-ordered. But then the available memory concerned me after my nightmare managing 512GB on the One S last gen.

I saw the expandable memory...

Saw the price...

Then thought I might aswell just get the Series X. So cancelled the S
Was a bit late by the time I had that thought though.... :duntmatter:

just buy an external HDD and plug into USB, save 200 quid

53 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

just buy an external HDD and plug into USB, save 200 quid

Can't play Series X games off of an external though. You'd still need to swap games on/off it

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Can't play Series X games off of an external though. You'd still need to swap games on/off it

Well they have to be optimised for X so i will save internal for those. Not going to spend 250 on a 1TB addon.

Until the madness subsides and prices come down.

Yeah, fair.

The history of proprietary peripherals would suggest prices will remain high.

Shame they didn’t just go for a generic M2 slot and allow expansion that way, but maybe that just won’t work with their new I/O infrastructure.

The PS5 expansion solution seems a great compromise.. not a proprietary solution, can fit most manufacturers cards in, across all sizes by the looks of things (though we don’t have an official whitelist yet) and the system will integrate it into its mega speedy I/O solution.

Still, using an external as cold storage and swapping games on/off the console doesn’t seem to be too bad a solution, especially for the cost savings.

My main games i play i dont think will be X'ed anyway so i think i will last a while with this solution.

Just gonna have to be selective on what is saved which is a shame.

Looking forward to it tho.  2 weeks depending on snail mail

• Like 1

What DJ1 said.
Not gonna faff around with an external drive either.

I'll just buy an X when the market steadies out

Speaking of PS5 memory expansion
Samsung 980 Pros look to be compatible (but not confirmed yet)

Edited by Gerinako
  • Like 1
On 30/10/2020 at 01:01, DeeJayOne said:

Yeah, fair.

The history of proprietary peripherals would suggest prices will remain high.

Shame they didn’t just go for a generic M2 slot and allow expansion that way, but maybe that just won’t work with their new I/O infrastructure.

The PS5 expansion solution seems a great compromise.. not a proprietary solution, can fit most manufacturers cards in, across all sizes by the looks of things (though we don’t have an official whitelist yet) and the system will integrate it into its mega speedy I/O solution.

Still, using an external as cold storage and swapping games on/off the console doesn’t seem to be too bad a solution, especially for the cost savings.

We had that back in the day

We called em 'cartridges'

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Decided to cancel my Series S pre-order. 

I just have zero hype for Xbox going into the new generation. 

I’m sure I’ll get one in time once the exclusives start coming, but for now sticking with PS4 and Switch until I can get my mits on a PS5. 

Big decision.

Personally, I find Series S to be an irrelevant console out of the gate. An half-assed upgrade. At best it is a secondary console for people with PS5 to be able to play gamepass or MS exclusives. 

It is all about PS5 for me, for now... I'll monitor what goes on with Xbox and maybe see if it is worth getting when they do the inevitable mid-get refresh.

4 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

Decided to cancel my Series S pre-order. 

I just have zero hype for Xbox going into the new generation. 

I’m sure I’ll get one in time once the exclusives start coming, but for now sticking with PS4 and Switch until I can get my mits on a PS5. 

If (big if) I end up with an extra PS5, would you be interested?

I’d obviously only let you pay what I pay for it, I’m not out to make a profit on it. Just will be reluctant to faff about returning it. 

2 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Big decision.

Personally, I find Series S to be an irrelevant console out of the gate. An half-assed upgrade. At best it is a secondary console for people with PS5 to be able to play gamepass or MS exclusives. 

It is all about PS5 for me, for now... I'll monitor what goes on with Xbox and maybe see if it is worth getting when they do the inevitable mid-get refresh.

Same really. Zero interest in the S. Barring a massive turnaround on their exclusives, I’ll get an X in 2-3 years during a PS5 game dry spell and catch up on the back log.  

In fact, if Switch Pro turns out to be a real thing I’ll almost certainly be upgrading my Switch before buying another Microsoft console. Love that thing. 

8 hours ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

If (big if) I end up with an extra PS5, would you be interested?

I’d obviously only let you pay what I pay for it, I’m not out to make a profit on it. Just will be reluctant to faff about returning it. 

PM’d you.