Xbox Series X (the next gen Xbox console)

Absolute steal for spreading the cost: 

Get an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S console, plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, from £20.99/mo. (£28.99/mp for the X) for 24 months with Klarna.^ With no upfront cost, Xbox All Access has everything you need to experience next-gen gaming. 

Available at GAME Retail Limited and Smyths Toys UK Limited who act as the credit intermediaries.

16 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Absolute steal for spreading the cost: 

Get an Xbox Series X or Xbox Series S console, plus 24 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, from £20.99/mo. (£28.99/mp for the X) for 24 months with Klarna.^ With no upfront cost, Xbox All Access has everything you need to experience next-gen gaming. 

Available at GAME Retail Limited and Smyths Toys UK Limited who act as the credit intermediaries.

But what APR is behind whatever a Klarna is

£29pm x 24 months means you're paying £696 for the X - so basically £247 for 2 years of Game Pass.

Not such a steal really when you can usually get Game Pass for something like £22 for 3 months (it's currently £21.79 at CDKeys), or £176 for 2 years (and with MS rewards points I usually basically get Game Pass for free anyway)

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

£29pm x 24 months means you're paying £696 for the X - so basically £247 for 2 years of Game Pass.

Not such a steal really when you can usually get Game Pass for something like £22 for 3 months (it's currently £21.79 at CDKeys), or £176 for 2 years (and with MS rewards points I usually basically get Game Pass for free anyway)

Can you add on a 12 month Live code to an existing Ultimate sub?

Transferred my XBL ti Ultimate which ends in about a year.  Was wondering if these cdkey type subs can be used to top up current ultimate or they just wont add any more.

2 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

Can you add on a 12 month Live code to an existing Ultimate sub?

Transferred my XBL ti Ultimate which ends in about a year.  Was wondering if these cdkey type subs can be used to top up current ultimate or they just wont add any more.

Yes, sure you can, I think the maximum you can have at once is about 3 years. I know that last time the 3 month subs were on offer on MS rewards I cashed in the chips and added the new sub to my existing one which still had several months to run.

27 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Yes, sure you can, I think the maximum you can have at once is about 3 years. I know that last time the 3 month subs were on offer on MS rewards I cashed in the chips and added the new sub to my existing one which still had several months to run.

Was under impression if you add more time on, the ultimate doesnt extend only the live.

Sorry, just realised you were probably talking about adding just Xbox LIve to a Game Pass Ultimate account rather than another Game Pass Utimate code?

Yes you can, but the Gold sub will be converted to the equivalent worth of Game Pass - a 12 month Gold only sub will convert to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate

https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

Edited by alanharper
added link

So...

Are there actually going to be any games to play? 

Not like a prettier version of Assassins Creed, I mean games worth buying this console to play. 

20 hours ago, acquiescefc said:

But what APR is behind whatever a Klarna is

0%

Klarna make their money from the retailer, not the consumer.

But, there are big penalty fees if you miss payments.

2 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

0%

Klarna make their money from the retailer, not the consumer.

But, there are big penalty fees if you miss payments.

So even if it's 0% APR you'd still be paying £696 for the Series X and a couple of years of Game Pass - not really the "absolute steal" you described it as.

19 minutes ago, alanharper said:

So even if it's 0% APR you'd still be paying £696 for the Series X and a couple of years of Game Pass - not really the "absolute steal" you described it as.

For the convenience of spreading the cost and not having to keep hunting round for cheaper Game Pass Ultimate passes and redeeming them. Over the two years you'd probably save ~£50 or so (especially considering rumours of Game Pass prices going up next year).

Your milage might vary, but I consider it a decent means of acquiring the console and all the benefits of Game Pass Ultimate in a convenient package.

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

2 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

For the convenience of spreading the cost and not having to keep hunting round for cheaper Game Pass Ultimate passes and redeeming them. Over the two years you'd probably save ~£50 or so (especially considering rumours of Game Pass prices going up next year).

Your milage might vary, but I consider it a decent means of acquiring the console and all the benefits of Game Pass Ultimate in a convenient package.

A lot of people I’ve spoke to are going for this as they can’t afford the £500+ it would cost to get a Series S/X and pay for it on day one. 

£25-30 a month for 2 years is more affordable for many, even if you do pay more overall. 

I personally hate getting anything on finance. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. Apart from the mortgage. 

lol

I’ve decided to preorder a Series X from somewhere that takes the money on despatch and see how I feel closer to the time. I need to see what Sony have on offer for me. 

My fear is that both consoles won’t have enough games at launch to warrant spending £300-500 on a new console. 

2 minutes ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

A lot of people I’ve spoke to are going for this as they can’t afford the £500+ it would cost to get a Series S/X and pay for it on day one. 

£25-30 a month for 2 years is more affordable for many, even if you do pay more overall. 

I personally hate getting anything on finance. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. Apart from the mortgage. 

lol

I’ve decided to preorder a Series X from somewhere that takes the money on despatch and see how I feel closer to the time. I need to see what Sony have on offer for me. 

My fear is that both consoles won’t have enough games at launch to warrant spending £300-500 on a new console. 

I'm not smitten by either at the moment, none of the games previewed on either system are making me think they're must-buys. I've got both XB1 S and PS4 Pro at the moment but I'm sure I won't be getting 2 consoles again. I pretty much only play on Xbox at the moment, have barely touched the PS4 this year so I'd probably lean more towards Xbox X rather than PS5 especially with the Game Pass option, but I doubt I'll buy either initially, will probably wait for better games, after a few months there's bound to be either price cuts or decent software bundles available.

Honestly, I just find the whole thing confusing these days.

So my understanding is the smaller white version is like a cheaper, but less powerful next gen console. The black one is more expensive and more powerful? 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Honestly, I just find the whole thing confusing these days.

So my understanding is the smaller white version is like a cheaper, but less powerful next gen console. The black one is more expensive and more powerful? 

Yes. 

21 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Sounds like they are adding EA access to ultimate soon as well.

Im already ultimate-d up to December next year anyway.

10 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

Yes. 

Cheers...

I tend to lean towards the Sony side of things, though not a fanboy by and stretch.

Just think Sony usually have the stronger back catalogue of games. Might be controversial, but I think the only console Microsoft really ever nailed was the 360, which was an excellent bit of gear (bar the overheating) and was the better console in that war for the first part of it.

The size of the new black Xbox is quite something. I think my fridge is smaller. 

Still - I'm quite intrigued by this play on Microsoft's part. Almost looks to me like they're carving out two markets here: a console for the casual gamer and one for the hardcores. If the former takes off then they could be onto a real winner here. It's something that Nintendo have done very well in the last ten plus years, recognising where they can fit into the market and carving out their own niche.

Very interested to see how Sony respond. I somewhat doubt will be getting a Playstation/Saturn type announcement:

"£299.99"...the Saturn had come out months before for £399.99.

The rest is history.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, SiJ said:

The size of the new black Xbox is quite something. I think my fridge is smaller. 

I think it's smaller than the PS5.

Don't really like the look of either console.