Xbox Series X (the next gen Xbox console)

• This is what was previously known as Project Scarlett
  • Fastest, most powerful Xbox ever made and will lead the next generation for the Xbox brand as their flagship console
  • Will set the bar for consoles 
  • Devs around the world already are building games for it (duh)
  • All fifteen Xbox Game Studios are developing exclusive games as we speak
  • Hellblade 2 is the very first of these first-party Xbox Series X games and the trailer was captured straight from the console
  • Holiday 2020 as usual

Full write-up from Phil Spencer: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

22 hours ago, Chris_B_SWFC said:

Games. Needs games. 

They haven’t come anywhere near Sony for top quality exclusive games for years. 

They've spent the last five years continuously hoovering up game studios. I'll expect them to massively up their game next generation.

That said, Sony's first party library is incredible.

On 13/12/2019 at 16:19, DeeJayOne said:
  • This is what was previously known as Project Scarlett
  • Fastest, most powerful Xbox ever made and will lead the next generation for the Xbox brand as their flagship console
  • Will set the bar for consoles 
  • Devs around the world already are building games for it (duh)
  • All fifteen Xbox Game Studios are developing exclusive games as we speak
  • Hellblade 2 is the very first of these first-party Xbox Series X games and the trailer was captured straight from the console
  • Holiday 2020 as usual

Full write-up from Phil Spencer: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/12/12/microsoft-unveils-xbox-series-x/

Says who?

Oh, "news.xbox.com". Right.

Itll be full of pisspoor games, will be all very impressive on paper but absolutely no reason to buy it beyond wee pipe measuring contests.

Even that video; does that actually excite anyone?

Well, yeah. It’s Xbox marketing.

Not bothered about console wars, I’m too old and wise for that. I’ll likely be getting PS5, but I am totally interested in what Microsoft do. To have Microsoft and Sony competing strongly will only improve the games industry as a whole.

8 hours ago, DeeJayOne said:

Well, yeah. It’s Xbox marketing.

Not bothered about console wars, I’m too old and wise for that. I’ll likely be getting PS5, but I am totally interested in what Microsoft do. To have Microsoft and Sony competing strongly will only improve the games industry as a whole.

It's not about console wars; it's more than I want every company involved to move things on.

If I was obsessed with power then I'd just build by PC up and that would win hands down. Gaming is about...hold up...games! Xbox has just never been able to compete with Sony and Nintendo on that front and I dont see that changing.

Fair points. Can't agree more that gaming is about games.

I think that writing off Xbox for next generation is somewhat backwards-looking now though. Xbox have acknowledged that they did terribly in terms of first party exclusives this generation, but they've strongly placed themselves to rectify that next gen.

As well as increasing their internal game studios, they've hoovered up a huge amount of game developers through acquisitions, including popular ones like Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory and loads more... to the point that now they have more studios working on exclusive next-gen games than Sony do.

It'll be interesting to see the launch window line ups of both Sony and Microsoft next year for the next gen consoles.

On 15/12/2019 at 16:11, DeeJayOne said:

Fair points. Can't agree more that gaming is about games.

I think that writing off Xbox for next generation is somewhat backwards-looking now though. Xbox have acknowledged that they did terribly in terms of first party exclusives this generation, but they've strongly placed themselves to rectify that next gen.

As well as increasing their internal game studios, they've hoovered up a huge amount of game developers through acquisitions, including popular ones like Obsidian, Double Fine, Ninja Theory and loads more... to the point that now they have more studios working on exclusive next-gen games than Sony do.

It'll be interesting to see the launch window line ups of both Sony and Microsoft next year for the next gen consoles.

I’d never write it off. I was always 360 over PS3 because they had the better exclusives. And now I’m PS4 over Xbox One because they have the better exclusives. I mean I actually owned all of them after long enough, but bought very few games for my secondary. I think I’ve only played about four Xbox One games since I got it. Shouldn’t have bothered really. 

For me, where Microsoft are way behind is in the potential sequels. Sony are going to be pumping out high quality sequels to the likes of Horizon, Yakuza, Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Last of Us, Nioh, Bloodborne, Persona, Sekiro... while likely still creating brilliant new IPs and obviously having access to all the multi platform games. 

On 17/12/2019 at 20:15, Chris_B_SWFC said:

I’d never write it off. I was always 360 over PS3 because they had the better exclusives. And now I’m PS4 over Xbox One because they have the better exclusives. I mean I actually owned all of them after long enough, but bought very few games for my secondary. I think I’ve only played about four Xbox One games since I got it. Shouldn’t have bothered really. 

For me, where Microsoft are way behind is in the potential sequels. Sony are going to be pumping out high quality sequels to the likes of Horizon, Yakuza, Uncharted, God of War, Spider-Man, Last of Us, Nioh, Bloodborne, Persona, Sekiro... while likely still creating brilliant new IPs and obviously having access to all the multi platform games. 

chuck Days Gone and Infamous sequels too.  

Bought my brother an Xbox One X (Star Wars Fallen Knight bundle) for Christmas. He's mentioned a few times lately that he is fancying an Xbox so thought I'd treat him to one.

Really hope that Microsoft continue to support the Xbone for at least a couple of years after the SX is released, particularly on the Game Pass front.

From a personal standpoint, I am 99% sure that I will be getting both the next gen consoles at launch next year, which will be a first for me. I like the direction that Microsoft are heading with some fairly decent studio aquisitions recently along with their Game Pass model.

2 hours ago, Wath-owl said:

Bought my brother an Xbox One X (Star Wars Fallen Knight bundle) for Christmas. He's mentioned a few times lately that he is fancying an Xbox so thought I'd treat him to one.

Really hope that Microsoft continue to support the Xbone for at least a couple of years after the SX is released, particularly on the Game Pass front.

From a personal standpoint, I am 99% sure that I will be getting both the next gen consoles at launch next year, which will be a first for me. I like the direction that Microsoft are heading with some fairly decent studio aquisitions recently along with their Game Pass model.

You’re a good brother. 

Am I right in thinking that if I buy a 12 month Xbox Live Gold subscription followed by the 3-month Game Pass Ultimate £1 deal from Microsoft then it will convert the XBL sub into Game Pass Ultimate for 12 months?