Jump to content
gurujuan

The January window

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

 

 

Hmm looks good, probably seems more like a winger, but one that isn’t afraid to get in the box

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under normal circumstances this should be a very interesting window for us. I'd love to think we can somehow add a bit of quality to firm up our promotion push but there are obvious unknowns.

 

In the first instance, are we even permitted to make transfers. If we are fighting the EFL theres an argument that we should still have free reign, otherwise we are effectively guilty until proven innocent. On the flip side, the EFL embargo'd us pending our financials, it seems more than possible they may have authority to do so after receiving them.

 

Beyond that and assuming we are able to deal, it will be very interesting to see if DC still has enough enthusiasm to throw himself back in to spending.

 

I think we have to hope that the team who oversaw our last transfer window activity and Monk have already identified 2-3 well priced players that can improve us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Hmm looks good, probably seems more like a winger, but one that isn’t afraid to get in the box

 

He reminds me of Garath McCleary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2019 at 10:04, Jakes Grandad said:

It's not about selling players to balance the books now,


Unfortunately it is still about balancing the books. 
The EFL charges are about the submission in our accounts of the sale of the ground. The muted points deduction relates to those charges. 
But when the last accounts were published we are losing 20m per year under EFL calculations based on operating profit. Chansiri has the resources to cover that debt each season but is not permitted to by EFL. 
The sale of the ground covered the losses from the previous 3 years but if we continue to lose £20m per year as opposed to the £10m permitted then we will be in P&S trouble again and face further fines and deductions. 
So until the EFL changes the rules we have to sell players and reduce the wage bill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gnanduillet at Blackpool in great form.

 

6'3 target man and only 27 which would be an improvement on Taylor albeit with less Champ experience. Doesn't need to score loads of goals though if he's a more mobile Nuhiu role option when Fletcher is out.

 

Derby and Charlton (probably as Taylor's replacement) been linked as like Taylor he is also out of contract next summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to make sure we get our incoming business done as early as possible, as there may well be a ticking clock re an embargo That won’t effect players we want to move on, but bringing players in, would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/12/2019 at 00:11, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:


Unfortunately it is still about balancing the books. 
The EFL charges are about the submission in our accounts of the sale of the ground. The muted points deduction relates to those charges. 
But when the last accounts were published we are losing 20m per year under EFL calculations based on operating profit. Chansiri has the resources to cover that debt each season but is not permitted to by EFL. 
The sale of the ground covered the losses from the previous 3 years but if we continue to lose £20m per year as opposed to the £10m permitted then we will be in P&S trouble again and face further fines and deductions. 
So until the EFL changes the rules we have to sell players and reduce the wage bill. 

We should be OK this season, we cut wages and got rid of some dead wood last summer. We sold Joao and the cabbage patch doll to the barcodes. If we were losing £20M that should take us under £13M.

 

Come the summer we should cut a lot of the higher paid players and lose amortisation on transfer fees if there are any. Rhodes is still a financial drain but he might go ...or not.

 

The next set of accounts for P & S is for last season I think but if the last 3 years is more or less even we should be ok.

 

I must admit I lose track of which years accounts are which. It is tediously boring but important at the same time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/12/2019 at 11:05, Rogers said:

Winnall out in loan - thinking Millwall or Stoke will take him

 

That’ll be it IMO

 

Someone like Che Adams on loan would be great. He has a good work ethic and could possibly do well. 

Adams is really quick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

Adams is really quick 

Adams would be good, but he’s now worked his way into the Saints starting eleven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Adams would be good, but he’s now worked his way into the Saints starting eleven


I think it’s more a case of needs must and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Saints sign another striker in January to replace Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:


I think it’s more a case of needs must and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Saints sign another striker in January to replace Adams

 

Shane Long is the one they need to replace, not Adams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wilyfox said:

 

Shane Long is the one they need to replace, not Adams. 


Adams is only back in the team now as Long is injured. Adams will go out on loan in January 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big concern is the players whose contracts run out at the end of the season. We could be very light on both numbers and quality in the Summer and with no verdict being made yet by the EFL do we try our best to get 2 or 3 in now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...