Jump to content
Utah Owl

Saturday 7th December 1974

Recommended Posts

Surprised Dunsby didn't pick up on this. It was the 45th anniversary on Saturday. I was there, who else was?

 

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 goals in one game and then 5 in the next 21 matches is a sobering stat .....

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Surprised Dunsby didn't pick up on this. It was the 45th anniversary on Saturday. I was there, who else was?

 

 

I was, long story short, my Dad was a heart-surgeon, and in l970 a BUNCH of English Doctors (fleeing socialized medicine I now know) moved into our neighborhood, in Des Moines, Iowa.  Dr. Packingham was our most immediate neighbor, and was a "rabid" Wednesday Fan, Dad was a huge sports fan, Dr. Packingham turned us on to "soccer", and SWFC.  

 

When the Doctors could get a few days off, our entire families would fly into Heathrow, one time it was Gatwick.  The girls would stay in London and shop, we guys would drive on up to Hillsborough.  I didn't pay much attention to the games, being a teenager, I paid more attention to the English girls.

 

I don't remember much about any of the football when we went to Hillsborough, 1970-74, but do remember this one because all of a sudden Cavalry were sent in to quell a "riot."  The game is not what I remember, was always looking at the girls, but will never forget the Cavalry...

 

Thank you for posting this, I now know what I saw, and what it was all about.  We were sitting in the South section, a few rows up, about midfield.  Thank you again for your post, my how times have changed.  

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Springett was awol for 3 of their goals :wacko:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Kop...bloody carnage, stood under the old scoreboard whole match...Fighting all over the ground....except for the North ....funnily enough lol

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

On the Kop...bloody carnage, stood under the old scoreboard whole match...Fighting all over the ground....except for the North ....funnily enough lol

 

Yep. Same here. We were stood half way up the Kop directly behind the goal.

 

Fighting all around us but we were talking to some Man U fans next to us without so much as a cross word. Pretty surreal, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ended up in the South after a punch up on the Lepp.

Don't know if it's one those urban myths but was told a lunatic Man U fan was waving an hatchet about on the Lepp.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

 

Yep. Same here. We were stood half way up the Kop directly behind the goal.

 

Fighting all around us but we were talking to some Man U fans next to us without so much as a cross word. Pretty surreal, really.

 

I was. I also remember that tactic of the Manure Fans 'invading the pitch' to attempt to get a cancellation. It worked once but not at Hillsborough

Anyone notice also that the game was in the Second Division. manure have not always been the all-important club they were. Incidentally, a quick flip through a book my Daughter had prepared for me a number of years ago made interesting reading regarding our record against them

'Mustn't grumble's comments show both sides of the soccer scene. Give me the old days .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

South Stand Kop end, surrounded by Man U supporters.  Got a good view of the scrap bottom of the Kop though.  Amazing game, seemed real football in them days lol more and more an old get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Surprised Dunsby didn't pick up on this. It was the 45th anniversary on Saturday. I was there, who else was?

 

 

I was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in south stand with my dad....there was even a bit of bother in there.....a Man Utd fan in front of us kept standing on his seat meaning my dads mate Roy couldnt see.

 

This situation was swiftly resolved by Roy giving the man Utd fan a straightener coupled with a "Fu***in sit dahn you soft tw@t".

 

45 YEARS.....christ where did it all go? , i love watching watching old clips like this it makes me all warm and fuzzy, and before any millennial starts whining about living in the past, let me tell you there is NOTHING wrong with a bit of nostalgia and i GUARANTEE you will feel the same one day.

 

Proper Wednesday kit, standing on the kop, iconic opponents, the old number board scores on the north, Eric Potts, Tommo, i can almost smell the park drive and bovril from here..........aaaaah yesterday!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in the South Stand, Leppings Lane end with my dad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Was in south stand with my dad....there was even a bit of bother in there.....a Man Utd fan in front of us kept standing on his seat meaning my dads mate Roy couldnt see.

 

This situation was swiftly resolved by Roy giving the man Utd fan a straightener coupled with a "Fu***in sit dahn you soft tw@t".

 

45 YEARS.....christ where did it all go? , i love watching watching old clips like this it makes me all warm and fuzzy, and before any millennial starts whining about living in the past, let me tell you there is NOTHING wrong with a bit of nostalgia and i GUARANTEE you will feel the same one day.

 

Proper Wednesday kit, standing on the kop, iconic opponents, the old number board scores on the north, Eric Potts, Tommo, i can almost smell the park drive and bovril from here..........aaaaah yesterday!!

 

Imagine the Millennial version of nostalgia 20 years from now though. Digging out a box of Playoff Final t-shirts for a trip down nightmare lane. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also on the kop for the game after the standoff with a few of theirs in the Ozzie Owl club, bloody carnage, scrapping all over the place. If only we could have got a fifth to repeat the 68 game. Absolute lowlife so called Manure supporters!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Hirsts birthday 7th December 1967

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was there. Thirteen years old and sat in the West with my Dad. On that day David Sunley became a Wednesday legend!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mi dad wouldn't let me go! He did though. :angry: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1961 was the year to play Man Utd..Me uncle always went on about it..

Played 4

Won ...3

Drawn..1

For...16

Against..5

Edited by asteener1867

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...