Saturday 7th December 1974

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

Surprised Dunsby didn't pick up on this. It was the 45th anniversary on Saturday. I was there, who else was?

I was, long story short, my Dad was a heart-surgeon, and in l970 a BUNCH of English Doctors (fleeing socialized medicine I now know) moved into our neighborhood, in Des Moines, Iowa.  Dr. Packingham was our most immediate neighbor, and was a "rabid" Wednesday Fan, Dad was a huge sports fan, Dr. Packingham turned us on to "soccer", and SWFC.  

When the Doctors could get a few days off, our entire families would fly into Heathrow, one time it was Gatwick.  The girls would stay in London and shop, we guys would drive on up to Hillsborough.  I didn't pay much attention to the games, being a teenager, I paid more attention to the English girls.

I don't remember much about any of the football when we went to Hillsborough, 1970-74, but do remember this one because all of a sudden Cavalry were sent in to quell a "riot."  The game is not what I remember, was always looking at the girls, but will never forget the Cavalry...

Thank you for posting this, I now know what I saw, and what it was all about.  We were sitting in the South section, a few rows up, about midfield.  Thank you again for your post, my how times have changed.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

On the Kop...bloody carnage, stood under the old scoreboard whole match...Fighting all over the ground....except for the North ....funnily enough lol

Yep. Same here. We were stood half way up the Kop directly behind the goal.

Fighting all around us but we were talking to some Man U fans next to us without so much as a cross word. Pretty surreal, really.

1 hour ago, Musn't Grumble said:

Yep. Same here. We were stood half way up the Kop directly behind the goal.

Fighting all around us but we were talking to some Man U fans next to us without so much as a cross word. Pretty surreal, really.

I was. I also remember that tactic of the Manure Fans 'invading the pitch' to attempt to get a cancellation. It worked once but not at Hillsborough

Anyone notice also that the game was in the Second Division. manure have not always been the all-important club they were. Incidentally, a quick flip through a book my Daughter had prepared for me a number of years ago made interesting reading regarding our record against them

'Mustn't grumble's comments show both sides of the soccer scene. Give me the old days .

• Like 1

South Stand Kop end, surrounded by Man U supporters.  Got a good view of the scrap bottom of the Kop though.  Amazing game, seemed real football in them days lol more and more an old get.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Was in south stand with my dad....there was even a bit of bother in there.....a Man Utd fan in front of us kept standing on his seat meaning my dads mate Roy couldnt see.

This situation was swiftly resolved by Roy giving the man Utd fan a straightener coupled with a "Fu***in sit dahn you soft tw@t".

45 YEARS.....christ where did it all go? , i love watching watching old clips like this it makes me all warm and fuzzy, and before any millennial starts whining about living in the past, let me tell you there is NOTHING wrong with a bit of nostalgia and i GUARANTEE you will feel the same one day.

Proper Wednesday kit, standing on the kop, iconic opponents, the old number board scores on the north, Eric Potts, Tommo, i can almost smell the park drive and bovril from here..........aaaaah yesterday!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

Was in south stand with my dad....there was even a bit of bother in there.....a Man Utd fan in front of us kept standing on his seat meaning my dads mate Roy couldnt see.

This situation was swiftly resolved by Roy giving the man Utd fan a straightener coupled with a "Fu***in sit dahn you soft tw@t".

45 YEARS.....christ where did it all go? , i love watching watching old clips like this it makes me all warm and fuzzy, and before any millennial starts whining about living in the past, let me tell you there is NOTHING wrong with a bit of nostalgia and i GUARANTEE you will feel the same one day.

Proper Wednesday kit, standing on the kop, iconic opponents, the old number board scores on the north, Eric Potts, Tommo, i can almost smell the park drive and bovril from here..........aaaaah yesterday!!

Imagine the Millennial version of nostalgia 20 years from now though. Digging out a box of Playoff Final t-shirts for a trip down nightmare lane. lol