Atmosphere

13 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

Best thing is loads of our fans say other clubs are tinpot yet clubs like Huddersfield and Reading are arguably louder than us at home nowadays. 

Using those pathetic cardboard clapper things and 50% of your support not giving a damn until the second half of your PL promotion season is pretty tinpot tbh.  

54 minutes ago, bradowl said:

We sing same song at a lot of away games. 

Blackburn are having a great season and we never heard them once till equaliser near end. 

Football's changed over years, there's little atmosphere at most of Premier League games nowadays, mainly due to attracting tourists instead of real supporters who got priced out years ago. 

Love it how all “real supporters” are supposedly skint. 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

I think you're right. Arsenal and Man C home games are really quiet when they're on sky - people just seem to see it as an event; there to be entertained. Only Liverpool seems to have consistently good atmospheres, and it would be odd if they didn't considering their team, performances and results. Leicester have given their new found fans some clappers to see the 90mins through and I can't stand them - I'm not the targeted demographic admittedly.

Brass bands, goal music and singing sections have been the norm for a while now and there's a bit of English cynicism and sarcasm, and at best indifference at these artificial attempts to create an atmosphere - it all seems to contrived. We've got crowd effects and PA noise to inflate the atmosphere even more which again is just too far. Atmosphere has to be organic to be sustainable IMO.

Hillsborough struggles historically because it's 3-sided to home fans, as is generally 60% full. The best atmospheres have been high profile games with 80-100% ground capacity. With homes spread around the ground, the traditional singing end - the kop, seems to struggle to get anything going. There's more atmosphere when everyone's on the concourses at half time.

man. citeh and arsenal both have 'new' grounds, whilst liverpoo still have anfield (yet some of our fans blame the age of hillsborough for it's lack of atmosphere).

wednesday support (generally) away from home is corralled into a smaller area (thus tightly congesting it) than the spread we have at s6.

there has to be a 'collective' IF this shambles is to improve, but where?

there maybe room in the north, but it's unlikely any extra supporters would be allowed to gain entry.

so it's the kop, it's likely people would have to be moved from season ticket seats to allow a congregation to form, and that at present again looks like something the club is not rushing to do.

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

man. citeh and arsenal both have 'new' grounds, whilst liverpoo still have anfield (yet some of our fans blame the age of hillsborough for it's lack of atmosphere).

wednesday support (generally) away from home is corralled into a smaller area (thus tightly congesting it) than the spread we have at s6.

there has to be a 'collective' IF this shambles is to improve, but where?

there maybe room in the north, but it's unlikely any extra supporters would be allowed to gain entry.

so it's the kop, it's likely people would have to be moved from season ticket seats to allow a congregation to form, and that at present again looks like something the club is not rushing to do.

If we ever got the SAG/LL issue sorted out, and we're able to either re-design the stand or behind for segregation, I would like to see POTD fans going on the bottom LL. Even if you got 1000 on there each game, you'd get a decent atmosphere and it balances the ground better.

Huddersfield vs Leeds yesterday had a line on stewards separating the two set of fans in the away end - it all seems far fetched to suggest SWFC and the authorities can't come up with a reasonable plan. Hopefully the pending court case on this will be the starting point to reach a conclusion.

1 minute ago, Animis said:

If we ever got the SAG/LL issue sorted out, and we're able to either re-design the stand or behind for segregation, I would like to see POTD fans going on the bottom LL. Even if you got 1000 on there each game, you'd get a decent atmosphere and it balances the ground better.

Huddersfield vs Leeds yesterday had a line on stewards separating the two set of fans in the away end - it all seems far fetched to suggest SWFC and the authorities can't come up with a reasonable plan. Hopefully the pending court case on this will be the starting point to reach a conclusion.

i'm afraid expecting the 'authorities' to start being 'reasonable' is pie in the sky, they're as likely to attempt to shut hillsborough down than allow home and away on the LL end.

Isn’t this clear enough??

A 40k stadium with 20k fans in it isn’t going to be particularly lively. 

Sort out the ground restrictions and stop pricing fans out. I didn’t go again yesterday. I’ve only been to one home game this season because of the prices.

We are on the up and are flirting with the play offs. There would’ve naturally been 28k+ yesterday if the tickets were reasonable.

Edited by BingleyOwl
  • Thanks 1

said it before on here, and know they are in a different universe to us, but Spurs have designed their stadium to attract people to come early and stay late after matches. There are proper restaurants and sports bars etc so rather than having to go elsewhere fans spend all their match day money to benefit the club https://populous.com/redefining-the-matchday-experience-for-tottenham-hotspur-fans

image.thumb.png.4f0f5e5a1eb3f030606e5a6a91c47c64.png

Edited by modboy

3 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

i'm afraid expecting the 'authorities' to start being 'reasonable' is pie in the sky, they're as likely to attempt to shut hillsborough down than allow home and away on the LL end.

I'm not sure - I have more faith in the independent judiciary than the seemingly agenda-driven SAG/SYP/SCC. 

Let's see how good SWFC's team have been in coming up with the arguments to see us treated the same as our neighbours across the city and the rest of the country. I'm bored in being treated as a 'special case' because of the 1989 legacy issues. We moved for over a decade immediately after 89, but now seem closer to it than ever, and we are continuously and increasingly being persecuted and unable to run our crowd management arrangements as we wish, and in-line with how all other clubs in the country do.

When Liverpool fans are being classed as passionate and enthusiastic when throwing bricks and bottles at the Man C team coach, and we can't walk down the same road as the opposition fans; something is clearly wrong.

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, a lot of home supports are pretty poor. 

It is easy to forget how big of a stadium Hillsborough is. 

I think there is a sense of apathy around the club right now. 

The team are actually doing pretty damn well atm. They are a decent bunch who are putting their all in right now, but after a few seasons of under performing there is perhaps a sense of mistrust between them and sections of the support? 

It doesn't help that we have the grim spectre of the EFL lingering over us. Today was an excellent win, but you are sat there wondering whether it will be all rendered obsolete. 

100%.

The first thing I did when got back into the car was check how many points were were above 22nd, sad really and I think the limbo of whether we will be in top 6 fight or relegation fight, or mid table nothingness, sucks the life out of the crowd.

Guest Bulgaria

Until we can get folks in the lepp lower and into the triangle, it will always look and sound crap.

Watching our games on t.v is embarrassing as it looks like the stadium is empty.

16 minutes ago, BingleyOwl said:

Isn’t this clear enough??

A 40k stadium with 20k fans in it isn’t going to be particularly lively. 

Sort out the ground restrictions and stop pricing fans out. I didn’t go again yesterday. I’ve only been to one home game this season because of the prices.

We are on the up and are flirting with the play offs. There would’ve naturally been 28k+ yesterday if the tickets were reasonable.

No way would there have been 28k. Stop talking out your arse.

Was £25 yesterday and only 21k Owls.

Just now, Animis said:

I'm not sure - I have more faith in the independent judiciary than the seemingly agenda-driven SAG/SYP/SCC. 

Let's see how good SWFC's team have been in coming up with the arguments to see us treated the same as our neighbours across the city and the rest of the country. I'm bored in being treated as a 'special case' because of the 1989 legacy issues. We moved for over a decade immediately after 89, but now seem closer to it than ever, and we are continuously and increasingly being persecuted and unable to run our crowd management arrangements as we wish, and in-line with how all other clubs in the country do.

When Liverpool fans are being classed as passionate and enthusiastic when throwing bricks and bottles at the Man C team coach, and we can't walk down the same road as the opposition fans; something is clearly wrong.

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT I've seen enough in this country over the years to see it's run by 'establishment non boat rockers'.

at the end of the day the coppers and safety will always rule, especially so if at hillsborough, more so the 'LEPPINGS LANE END',

who do you think has gonads big enough to sanction anything against SAG/STP/SCC when IF and when anything went wrong they could be doing a stretch.

for me. it's pie in the sky. 

anyway, it's just another split in the support in a ground that already suffers from split support, we could have 3 different timed versions of the same song going out instead of just the 2, and the lower LL has no roof cover to propel noise out over the field.

8 minutes ago, modboy said:

said it before on here, and know they are in a different universe to us, but Spurs have designed their stadium to attract people to come early and stay late after matches. There are proper restaurants and sports bars etc so rather than having to go elsewhere fans spend all their match day money to benefit the club https://populous.com/redefining-the-matchday-experience-for-tottenham-hotspur-fans

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4775842bba8fad7b

The new restaurant at Old Tafford was on Football focus at the beginning of the season...It looked amazing and very sociable.

4 minutes ago, Bulgaria said:

Until we can get folks in the lepp lower and into the triangle, it will always look and sound crap.

Watching our games on t.v is embarrassing as it looks like the stadium is empty.

IF we're not promoted, and ground improvements made, the above will not happen in the next 25 years.

we can't get them into the north, never mind the LL.

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

We sing same song at a lot of away games. 

Blackburn are having a great season and we never heard them once till equaliser near end. 

Football's changed over years, there's little atmosphere at most of Premier League games nowadays, mainly due to attracting tourists instead of real supporters who got priced out years ago. 

The big change in atmosphere is all seater stadiums and the end of cheap pay on the day tickets.

Second division football is incredibly a luxury item which you really need to book in advance. When I first started going on my own it was about the same cost as 3 pints.

Disclaimer: Knowing the price of beer when I was 14 is purely a product of my imagination lol

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

No way would there have been 28k. Stop talking out your arse.

Was £25 yesterday and only 21k Owls.

but the £40 gates stop people attending on a 'regular' basis, once a supporter stops being a regular he finds something else to do on matchday.

it's going to take something special to get him back on a regular basis, and likely not £40 a game, with the odd £25er thrown in.

4 minutes ago, Geedee said:

The big change in atmosphere is all seater stadiums and the end of cheap pay on the day tickets.

Second division football is incredibly a luxury item which you really need to book in advance. When I first started going on my own it was about the same cost as 3 pints.

Disclaimer: Knowing the price of beer when I was 14 is purely a product of my imagination lol

we knew that, as if not you'd have been breaking the law.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dorian gray said:

I agree wholeheartedly, BUT I've seen enough in this country over the years to see it's run by 'establishment non boat rockers'.

at the end of the day the coppers and safety will always rule, especially so if at hillsborough, more so the 'LEPPINGS LANE END',

who do you think has gonads big enough to sanction anything against SAG/STP/SCC when IF and when anything went wrong they could be doing a stretch.

for me. it's pie in the sky. 

anyway, it's just another split in the support in a ground that already suffers from split support, we could have 3 different timed versions of the same song going out instead of just the 2, and the lower LL has no roof cover to propel noise out over the field.

Let's see - each of the authorities mentioned have to adhere to any legal position following the pending court case. SAG has to answer to the HSE and there are specific requirements to comply with. Providing SWFC do there job, we should get a reasonable outcome. The authorities position of simply banning SWFC fans from LL is clearly a nonsense and disproportionate. We need to 'take back control' of our ground and arrangements, providing we manage them effectively. 

I do agree with you on the 4-side issue. However, I'm old enough to have seen SWFC fans on all four sides even with 10000/15000 in the ground and it was ok. Clearly then the signing fans were concentrated in the middle of the kop and LL end. The North periodically rocked up with the lengthy rendition of 'Wednesday', but was more than not silent like the south - save for throwing cushions at the lino we he had a mare.