Atmosphere

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

Agreed. I was impressed with Hull, and Derby are usually decent too. We should try something but at the moment the club seems fairly rudderless. 

You are jolking about hull right? Their home allocation is nearly always half empty and when we played them (from what i could see) there were 2 unoccupied seats to every person except for the away end.  They have to have a firework/light display to create an atmosphere! 

Just now, Anlaby Owl said:

You are jolking about hull right? Their home allocation is nearly always half empty and when we played them (from what i could see) there were 2 unoccupied seats to every person except for the away end.  They have to have a firework/light display to create an atmosphere! 

The section to the left of the away end was very good IMO. Better than anything we’ve got. 

3 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

The section to the left of the away end was very good IMO. Better than anything we’ve got. 

That is one tiny area of their ground, with perhaps 300 to 400 fans grouping to have a bit of a singsong.  Its not a touch on the kop, even when it is relatively subdued.  Our own fans made far more noise than theirs.  When you live in the town you realise how small they really are for a 2nd tier club.  Not much bigger than scunny really, predominantly because they dont have the hardcore following that wednesday have. 

The run up to the cup finals in early 90s the match atmosphere rocked every game, the kop scarily moved at times the noise never stopped. 

Atmosphere now is dire, all those seats empty all over ground, folks priced out, SAG crap etc. Today's match felt like a friendly at times. 

Guest Grez Bez

The atmosphere is abysmal now

They need to close the grandstand and get the fans more compact.

Cheap tickets on the kop to make it the singers stand; happy hour from 13:00-14:00 to get people into the ground.

Tbf, a lot of home supports are pretty poor. 

It is easy to forget how big of a stadium Hillsborough is. 

I think there is a sense of apathy around the club right now. 

The team are actually doing pretty damn well atm. They are a decent bunch who are putting their all in right now, but after a few seasons of under performing there is perhaps a sense of mistrust between them and sections of the support? 

It doesn't help that we have the grim spectre of the EFL lingering over us. Today was an excellent win, but you are sat there wondering whether it will be all rendered obsolete. 

7 hours ago, LSOwls said:

The atmosphere is abysmal now

They need to close the grandstand and get the fans more compact.

Cheap tickets on the kop to make it the singers stand; happy hour from 13:00-14:00 to get people into the ground.

I dont think many people would want to stand behind the north or the kop in the winter drinking mediocre beer for over an hour theres just nicer places nearby to have a pint 

The atmosphere wasn’t bad for the first 5 - 10 minutes of the game then drifted off. The second half got better as the half went on. There were a few patches where the fans found their voices, particularly after the 2nd goal. Got a bit nervy towards the end. 

coincidence?

Edited by Miffed

Guest Grez Bez
1 hour ago, Geedee said:

I dont think many people would want to stand behind the north or the kop in the winter drinking mediocre beer for over an hour theres just nicer places nearby to have a pint 

Yeah I agree. If the facilities were better it might not be a problem.

I always had a vision that a cheaper way to improve the Kop would be to add a mezzanine/ decking type area onto the mound.

Preferably with different bars with a different theme/ vibe

Example (pardon the artwork :biggrin:)

Obviously these would have a roof!

post-22045-0-67599800-1433787855.pngpost-22045-0-56588500-1440095159_thumb.jpgpost-22045-0-88520200-1440095161_thumb.pngpost-22045-0-26160100-1440095413_thumb.jpg

easiest thing would be to get rid of the car parking etc next to the shop and make that a fanzone

They could even relocate the shop and ticket office into the new retail development and cover the whole carpark/shop area, put a big screen in there etc. Bit like Butlins

We were at the match around 14:30 yesterday and had nothing to do but sit freezing in our seats and use bogs with no hot water etc

image.png.5937d9307c15e6b425000d6a27d02a2c.png

Edited by modboy

17 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Yeah I agree. If the facilities were better it might not be a problem.

I always had a vision that a cheaper way to improve the Kop would be to add a mezzanine/ decking type area onto the mound.

Preferably with different bars with a different theme/ vibe

Example (pardon the artwork :biggrin:)

Obviously these would have a roof!

post-22045-0-67599800-1433787855.pngpost-22045-0-56588500-1440095159_thumb.jpgpost-22045-0-88520200-1440095161_thumb.pngpost-22045-0-26160100-1440095413_thumb.jpg

While your design would be an upgrade it doesn't alter the fact that we are located in northern england in a windy city. Outside catering imo is  just is not going to work.

Modboys covered fanzone might work but it's going to have one hell of heating bill and other overheads for a.couple of hours trade 20 odd times a year.

Perhaps after a couple of decades of global warming , ( awaits student owl and john F's reaction lol)

Edited by Geedee

Guest Grez Bez
2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

While your design would be an upgrade it doesn't alter the fact that we are located in northern england in a windy city. Outside catering imo is  just is not going to work.

Modboys covered fanzone might work but it's going to have one hell of heating bill and other overheads for a.couple of hours trade 20 odd times a year.

I couldnt work out how to draw it but they would be covered of course. The image is for illustrative purposes...

They would  just be new rooms on the back of the Kop without the need for digging out the mound

Edited by Grez Bez

14 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Heard a little bit of noise for 15 mins after we scored first....

When will we get behind them all game? A continued run in playoffs? Or has the off the field news just kicked us all down and we can’t get any enthusiasm going? 

Nearly every team has sang is this a library since they’ve come this season ...

We sing same song at a lot of away games. 

Blackburn are having a great season and we never heard them once till equaliser near end. 

Football's changed over years, there's little atmosphere at most of Premier League games nowadays, mainly due to attracting tourists instead of real supporters who got priced out years ago. 

1 minute ago, bradowl said:

We sing same song at a lot of away games. 

Blackburn are having a great season and we never heard them once till equaliser near end. 

Football's changed over years, there's little atmosphere at most of Premier League games nowadays, mainly due to attracting tourists instead of real supporters who got priced out years ago. 

I think you're right. Arsenal and Man C home games are really quiet when they're on sky - people just seem to see it as an event; there to be entertained. Only Liverpool seems to have consistently good atmospheres, and it would be odd if they didn't considering their team, performances and results. Leicester have given their new found fans some clappers to see the 90mins through and I can't stand them - I'm not the targeted demographic admittedly.

Brass bands, goal music and singing sections have been the norm for a while now and there's a bit of English cynicism and sarcasm, and at best indifference at these artificial attempts to create an atmosphere - it all seems to contrived. We've got crowd effects and PA noise to inflate the atmosphere even more which again is just too far. Atmosphere has to be organic to be sustainable IMO.

Hillsborough struggles historically because it's 3-sided to home fans, as is generally 60% full. The best atmospheres have been high profile games with 80-100% ground capacity. With homes spread around the ground, the traditional singing end - the kop, seems to struggle to get anything going. There's more atmosphere when everyone's on the concourses at half time.