27 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

He’s much more comfortable with us not playing it out from the back...

a few times today he played out short and looked  comfortable doing so  , a couple of times he hit long and the ball went over harris 's head for a throw in …….he was a good keeper last season under jos and he's just the same under monk . 

Tbf to the lad, I think Westwood would have struggled playing behind a Jos defence. 

It was truly shambolic. 

Switching from back 3s to back 4s, dropping players, bringing people randomly back in and then trying to get the likes of Tom Lees to pass the ball around the back. 

Was a joke and he was almost set up to fail. 

25 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Tbf to the lad, I think Westwood would have struggled playing behind a Jos defence. 

It was truly shambolic. 

Switching from back 3s to back 4s, dropping players, bringing people randomly back in and then trying to get the likes of Tom Lees to pass the ball around the back. 

Was a joke and he was almost set up to fail. 

Apart from his unforced errors, JL did have an awful injury list in his first five months and he had to try out young players, not all of whom were ready.

I believe he played Wildsmith in most of the league matches in the beginning , up to April 2018 (Dawson in the Cup), so it was Wildsmith who suffered the more of the two young keepers, then Dawson was picked in August 2018 by JL who said the two young keepers were both good. He preferred Dawson by then.

Quality Keeper who now looks ready to be the number 1. No messing about he takes a tough and gets it forward. His shot stopping is up there with the best. His commanding and presence is getting better. All the makings of a class keeper at 24. With Westwood here for another 18 months working with him he will only get better and hopefully be our number 1 in the premiership.

3 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Quality Keeper who now looks ready to be the number 1. No messing about he takes a tough and gets it forward. His shot stopping is up there with the best. His commanding and presence is getting better. All the makings of a class keeper at 24. With Westwood here for another 18 months working with him he will only get better and hopefully be our number 1 in the premiership.

think that's a bit of wishful thinking that westwood will be helping him ….

I've been critical of Dawson in the past but he has filled me with a lot more confidence recently, it could be more to do with having a more settled defence too.

As good as Westwood is, I do think now naturally it's time for us to put our faith in Dawson, tie him down to a new deal and keep him as #1.

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

think that's a bit of wishful thinking that westwood will be helping him ….

I don't know, Westwood himself has said he has become a fan of the club as are his family. He will (and rightly so) consider himself to be number 1 but knows he will have to fight for the shirt. Goalkeepers tend to act as a team. Westwood knows that Dawson will be number 1 in for years so as a team the Goalkeepers should all be helping eachother.

Unless Westwood a a utter n0b which is doesn't come across as I cant see why he wouldn't help him.

33 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I don't know, Westwood himself has said he has become a fan of the club as are his family. He will (and rightly so) consider himself to be number 1 but knows he will have to fight for the shirt. Goalkeepers tend to act as a team. Westwood knows that Dawson will be number 1 in for years so as a team the Goalkeepers should all be helping eachother.

Unless Westwood a a utter n0b which is doesn't come across as I cant see why he wouldn't help him.

Surely Nicky Weaver will be helping him. I dont know what you mean by helping him. If you mean will Westwood be coaching Dawson on the side or something then course he wont be. If you mean in a group session may he point something out then maybe. but Weaver will be the one that they go to for advice.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Surely Nicky Weaver will be helping him. I dont know what you mean by helping him. If you mean will Westwood be coaching Dawson on the side or something then course he wont be. If you mean in a group session may he point something out then maybe. but Weaver will be the one that they go to for advice.

No I don't mean coaching on the side I mean the group sessions. Surely all the keepers train together (including Weaver, so Weaver would be pointing out how Westwood commands his area and that's the area Dawson needs to improve). 

4 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

No I don't mean coaching on the side I mean the group sessions. Surely all the keepers train together (including Weaver, so Weaver would be pointing out how Westwood commands his area and that's the area Dawson needs to improve). 

True but like you just said Weaver will be doing it.lol

Unfair to judge him on his time under Jos, the whole team was a shambles.'

A few mistakes under Bruce and didn't fill me with a lot of confidence this time.

However this season I don't think he's put a foot wrong and have total confidence in him.

Westwood has been amazing but he's 35 on £30k a week and getting more and more injuries, plus he's probably made more mistakes this year than in his whole time here.

Would be very unfair if Dawson loses his place when Westwood is fit, plus Dawson can leave for nothing at end of season and might fancy being a no1 elsewhere if we don't give it him.

I would still judge Westwood as our overall #1 but right now Dawson has done enough to keep the shirt.

Still think he needs to play the majority of the games for the remainder of the season and I have concerns if he’s quite ready to do that for us. 

If he does and performs well - great. But he definitely should be signing a new contract then going out on loan if not. Zero value in sitting on the bench.

I also wouldn’t trade the #1 shirt for a contract. It needs to be earnt not negotiated.

24 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

I would still judge Westwood as our overall #1 but right now Dawson has done enough to keep the shirt.

Still think he needs to play the majority of the games for the remainder of the season and I have concerns if he’s quite ready to do that for us. 

If he does and performs well - great. But he definitely should be signing a new contract then going out on loan if not. Zero value in sitting on the bench.

I also wouldn’t trade the #1 shirt for a contract. It needs to be earnt not negotiated.

Exactly this^^^^^^^^^^^