1 hour ago, General_Grievous said:

He really seems to have grown up since this time last year when he was in ahead of westy. Looks more of a man rather than a boy. Much more commanding. Feel confident with him in goal

I agree. He was thrown in at the deep end last time by a manager who wasn't being straight about his reasoning behind his decisions and he was changing his defence and defensive formation nearly every game which hardly helped.

This season Dawson initially came in due to injury and suspension and proved he was capable. Now he is in on merit and is taking his chance. He hasn't done much wrong this season, long may it continue. His kicking, like Westwood's has room for improvement though, too often falls way short or wide of where he is aiming. 

The best compliment about Dawson I can give him right now.

I was gonna say "the best compliment about the kid I can give"

He ain't no kid now, he's the real deal.    He shows that, to the opposition too.

Edited by Salmonbones

The problem Dawson had last year was jos, yes he gave him a chance, but then made it extremely difficult by swapping, chopping and changing everything and everyone in front of him week in week out. 

I said last year our defencive improvement wasnt just down to Westwood last year when he came back in, it was down to Bruce keeping where possible a settled side and back four. 

It's always going to be easier for the lad to transition to our no1 and improve playing with a settled side in front of him. 

• Like 1

Think we will need to offer him that number one spot in order to get him to sign a new contract. 

Say we win the next two with him in goal having done nothing wrong then Westwood comes straight back in he will be gone.

Edited by pazowl55

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Think we will need to offer him that number one spot in order to get him to sign a new contract. 

Say we win the next two with him in goal having done nothing wrong then Westwood comes straight back in he will be gone.

Think it's his shirt to lose now. Monk has said this week he sees Dawson as part of Wednesday's long term future. 

I don't think Dawson has improved massively to be honest, however I don't think he needed to either. His kicking is still average and he doesn't command his area enough (both of Westwood's weak points too), he is communicating more and that must be a confidence thing. 

The difference between last season and this is the reason why he is there and the perception from the fans. Jos made a lot of well intentioned decisions that weren't appreciated at the time and he was probably under orders from above too (playing youth, looking to the future) but Jos didn't handle the situations themselves and the backlash well at all. 

In hindsight given the monetary issues with the club I can see why he'd  (Jos, last season) plump for Dawson as he'd be our long term goalie with Westwood leaving at the end of the season, but this put huge pressure Dawson him especially when we were trying to play out from the back like Barcelona.

I was thrilled when Westwood came back in last season, he got an unbelievable reception. But I can't help feeling that him still being here is a bit of an albatross, especially as he's here for another 18 months at least and his form is patchy at best. 

What is refreshing is that we now have a pragmatic manager with real experience at this level who is big enough to drop Westwood and the fans don't question it. 

If we have Dawson OR Westwood in goal I think now fans are fairly confident which can only be a good thing.

Edited by Owls2k