Chansiri charged - could be banned from football

Guest addedtime

Guest Kameron
1 hour ago, Bigger Guns said:

And FRS 102 says the sale should be included at fair value

Taking from what I read on  another forum that has various qualified accountants posting, I think we've still got problems, if it was any normal business I'd agree with you, if the sale had gone through and posted in the same financial year they'd be little the EFL could do as was the case with Derby.  I know each case is different but I'm struggling to find a club that has taken on the league and WON, there have been many cases over the years and despite numerous court cases the FA/EFL still end up imposing sanctions one way or the other.  As someone has just posted unfortunately Parry knows this side of things inside out and had he not been appointed it's a fair bet Chansiri would have pulled this off. 

Edited by Kameron

23 minutes ago, Kameron said:

... had he not been appointed it's a fair bet Chansiri would have pulled this off. 

The fact that he was CEO of Liverpool between 1997 and 2009 and is a lifelong fan can't but make you doubt that he has warm feelings towards us either

I think the crucial bit is that we are bringing charges that their charges are unlawful. 

If we simply tried to defend the charges by saying everything had been agreed the EFL could quite possibly win.

If our charges are upheld we don't have a case to answer and the EFL cannot apply sanctions.

Guest Kameron
2 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

The fact that he was CEO of Liverpool between 1997 and 2009 and is a lifelong fan can't but make you doubt that he has warm feelings towards us either

I didn’t want to go down the road but it’s human nature to seek revenge, however if it’s the case this has been done because he’s looking for payback then that will be found out, it’s going to be an interesting few years unless the EFL or Chansiri backs down.

10 minutes ago, Kameron said:

I didn’t want to go down the road but it’s human nature to seek revenge, however if it’s the case this has been done because he’s looking for payback then that will be found out, it’s going to be an interesting few years unless the EFL or Chansiri backs down.

This is ridiculous. The charge is payback for The Hillsborough Disaster? Tripe.

• Like 1

The EFL as an organisation are not fit for purpose 

Bury out of business, Bolton were hours from joining them, Coventry don't have a permanent ground and now Macclesfield's players refusing to play over unpaid wages

The EFL need to introduce proper rules that separate owners who cannot pay the bills and ones who are prepared, and have the financial clout, to underwrite a club annual losses

For me It’s been driven in its entirety by Steve Gibson,  I think in all honesty the EFL have to find ya guilty and probably impose a sanction along the lines of what Gibson is pushing for 

Few questions from me would be should the EFL not take a totally independent view of this ? Hardly fair having rival club chairmen in on the act is it ? 

if they impose automatic relegation (or a points deduction that does all but guarantee it) there will for me be a very real prospect of the club refusing to fulfill remaining fixtures, and even if we did how are the integrity of them games gonna be protected for other clubs needing results ?   Once again it’s the EFL punishing the fans 

If Gibson and the EFL push for a ban on Chansiri running the club, what are the plans to protect the club if Dejphon Chansiri doesn’t maintain investment which is required 24/7 to pay even the smallest of bills,  or do they not care ? Will there answer to this just be further points deductions ? Again punishing the fans and if the worst happened and they had to boot another club out of the league would it again be everyone else’s fault but there own 

3 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Few questions from me would be should the EFL not take a totally independent view of this ? Hardly fair having rival club chairmen in on the act is it ? 

Ultimately the EFL is made up of the clubs - with day to day authority delegated to its officials. That's why they will appoint an independent panel to look at this case. 

What happens if Chansiri fails to fund us is a good point. But the EFL have to be careful - they can't let clubs get away with riding rough shod over the regulations simply because an owner is holding a gun to a club's head. Not that Chansiri has shown any sign of doing this but the principle holds.  

8 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

For me It’s been driven in its entirety by Steve Gibson,  I think in all honesty the EFL have to find ya guilty and probably impose a sanction along the lines of what Gibson is pushing for 

if they impose automatic relegation (or a points deduction that does all but guarantee it) there will for me be a very real prospect of the club refusing to fulfill remaining fixtures, and even if we did how are the integrity of them games gonna be protected for other clubs needing results ?   Once again it’s the EFL punishing the fans 

If Gibson and the EFL push for a ban on Chansiri running the club, what are the plans to protect the club if Dejphon Chansiri doesn’t maintain investment which is required 24/7 to pay even the smallest of bills,  or do they not care ? Will there answer to this just be further points deductions ? Again punishing the fans and if the worst happened and they had to boot another club out of the league would it again be everyone else’s fault but there own 

I agree with this. Ironically, we paid £8m for Jordan Rhodes as well and you’d think he wouldve been delighted to get his money back on a player who was clearly on the decline. 

Our statement gives me hope on this matter. If the EFL have agreed to what we have done then legally we may just be ok. However, I can see this dragging on for months if not years through various hearings and in the courts.

5 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

Ultimately the EFL is made up of the clubs - with day to day authority delegated to its officials. That's why they will appoint an independent panel to look at this case. 

What happens if Chansiri fails to fund us is a good point. But the EFL have to be careful - they can't let clubs get away with riding rough shod over the regulations simply because an owner is holding a gun to a club's head. Not that Chansiri has shown any sign of doing this but the principle holds.  

Am aware how the EFL is set up, but that doesn’t make it right does it ?

3 minutes ago, owls-swfc said:

I don't think any points deduction or sentence will come into effect until after  final game game is completed for this very reason.

Good point but how will that work ?  They can’t run the slightest risk of us affecting the promotion race, in the PL there are no rules , Villa did similar to us and won’t be held to account 

Just now, rickygoo said:

How else do you run a league? Ultimately the clubs collectively decide on the rules and their representatives sit on committees. 

Independently ?   Let’s be fair .... the current mob isn’t exactly doing a great job with the set up now are they 

Just now, Royal_D said:

Independently ?   Let’s be fair .... the current mob isn’t exactly doing a great job with the set up now are they 

Nope - and I suspect we're suffering because they cocked up with Bury and Bolton etc. new broom.

If they feel Chansiri and the others have been guilty of misconduct then they don't want us to get away with it. Believing they wouldn't be enforced is not an excuse for us to break the rules - if that's what's happened. 

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

Nope - and I suspect we're suffering because they cocked up with Bury and Bolton etc. new broom.

If they feel Chansiri and the others have been guilty of misconduct then they don't want us to get away with it. Believing they wouldn't be enforced is not an excuse for us to break the rules - if that's what's happened. 

It seems to depend on how the EFL want to show strength and make a statement/example. This isn't legal, it's no more than civil, in terms of a member has not kept to the spirit of the membership rules, which are a bit vague anyhow.

The EFL can do want they want, but SWFC, as a member can certainly test the reasonableness of their actions. Clearly SWFC have threatened claim for compensation - it's a proactive threat to sue - a sort of get the first punch in...

Just now, Animis said:

It seems to depend on how the EFL want to show strength and make a statement/example. This isn't legal, it's no more than civil, in terms of a member has not kept to the spirit of the membership rules, which are a bit vague anyhow.

The EFL can do want they want, but SWFC, as a member can certainly test the reasonableness of their actions. Clearly SWFC have threatened claim for compensation - it's a proactive threat to sue - a sort of get the first punch in...

Wednesday and the directors are certainly entitled to defend themselves as far as the courts if need be. None of us know the facts and how that will pan out. The EFL haven't immediately rolled over in response to Chansiri's warning shots. Let's hope they think again.