Jacob Murphy

It is funny the difference in perception between Harris and Murphy.

Harris came here on a free, not many people had heard of him and when they saw he was a good player he was immediately in the fans good books.

Murphy came here with a big price tag from his move to Newcastle and high expectations, especially as Bruce 'owed' us a star loan. Yes, some of his early games were poor - but certain fans seem to have decided he's a waste of space and no matter how well he plays they won't change their mind.

Truth is, both players are somewhere in the middle. Moments of quality, and moments where they are a bit wasteful. But last Saturday wasn't the first time that Murphy has skinned his full back, driven in to the box and been tripped, although he hasn't always got the penalties he deserved. And that run was crucial from Murphy, because without it we'd be looking at another frustrating draw that we should have won. I think he's a valuable member of the squad.

53 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Harris came here on a free, not many people had heard of him and when they saw he was a good player he was immediately in the fans good books.

Murphy came here with a big price tag from his move to Newcastle and high expectations, especially as Bruce 'owed' us a star loan. Yes, some of his early games were poor - but certain fans seem to have decided he's a waste of space and no matter how well he plays they won't change their mind.

Truth is, both players are somewhere in the middle. Moments of quality, and moments where they are a bit wasteful. But last Saturday wasn't the first time that Murphy has skinned his full back, driven in to the box and been tripped, although he hasn't always got the penalties he deserved. And that run was crucial from Murphy, because without it we'd be looking at another frustrating draw that we should have won. I think he's a valuable member of the squad.

That last point is very true actually. I think  Murphy sometimes looks weak and makes bad choices but nearly every match he gets into some great positions in the box. He has already won us one penalty and should have had two more (Fulham and Hull). 

Murphy took time to settle in, so much so I was thinking we might as well send him back. He's settled down and while he's not been a world beater so far he has shown enough to be considered a good member of the squad.

I think some fans are on Harris's case. He was brilliant early season, now he's not as lively as before but he still beats defenders and puts crosses in or cuts inside and has a go himself. I wouldn't drop him that's for sure.

On 03/12/2019 at 17:51, Emerson Thome said:

The bold type (my highlighting) is , i'm afraid, typical of the attitude of many Owls fans to ANY new signings we make. If a player comes to S6 and doesn't click immediately, he is labelled crap or like, and woe behold him if he doesn't sparkle from Day 1., and every subsequent game. An excellent example of this is Fox, who took some time to settle, and hence carries the scar of 'useless' for ever. Its the Wednesday way,

With wingers, you generally get inconsistent performances. Harris was great until mid October and he’s gone off a bit. Reach has not the levels of last year but he has had a lot of assists this year. Murphy has been below par since he came but I thought he put in an excellent performance in the second half against charlton.

Id personally start with Harris and Murphy today supporting Fletcher.

Not really having that - Harris has deserved his shirt, maybe he's played too much to be continually effective.

Murphy is decent but shows less overall application.

Generally speaking I think Harris offers more to the team and that's why he's played more, but possibly maybe not quite enough rotation with our wingers to keep them fresh and eager.

2 minutes ago, Salmonbones said:

Not really having that - Harris has deserved his shirt, maybe he's played too much to be continually effective.

Murphy is decent but shows less overall application.

Generally speaking I think Harris offers more to the team and that's why he's played more, but possibly maybe not quite enough rotation with our wingers to keep them fresh and eager.

How do you mean " he's played too much"?

Christ what is wrong with some Wednesday fans

Harris has been quality this year and we’ve been crying out for someone with pace that goes round defenders for years

We get one - and because he’s not 10/10 every game, he’s played too much’ and he’s ‘calmed down’

Jesus what goes through peoples heads

• Thanks 1