Great to have Captain Lees back

Great to see Tom Lees back yesterday with a really solid performance.

I lost count of the number of headers he won in the match

It might be worth considering Iorfa at right back next week to counter Ollie Watkins who often plays or drifts to the left.

No doubt Brentford will be faced with bids of  £15 m + for Watkins in the January indow.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

Iorfa, Lees, Borner. 

Back to a back three. Allows two wide men and three in the middle whilst keeping two up top. It's the way forward. Maybe not next week, but soon.

Said the same before the latest international break 

I think on a whole it would currently suit us the best 

I think we need Harris in the side as he’s one of the few players who can get past the last defender and get a cross in. So maybe something like this?.. 

Dawson 

Iorfa   Lees   Borner 

Harris                            Fox 

Luongo Hutch. Bannan

Fletcher  Nuhiu. 

There is no doubt that Obubajo was our weakest link yesterday.

Frightens me every time the ball goes near him.

Tough decision for Monk, Iorfa gives another dimension at centre back with his pace but feel Lees Borner would be solid.

He will stay with a four I think and if he doesn’t want to move Iorfa could well leave Borner out against Brentford 

54 minutes ago, torres said:

Why change the position of the best player we’ve had this season??

Probably because it would strengthen the team.  RB is our weakest area at the moment.  If Borner's fit, I'd move Iorfa there.

Iorfa right back ?  Why on earth would anyone move the best performing player we’ve had this season out of position ?

It’s a straight fight between 3 of them for 2 shirts , it’s that simple , we don’t have wing backs to be playing 3 at the back 

29 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Iorfa right back ?  Why on earth would anyone move the best performing player we’ve had this season out of position ?

It’s a straight fight between 3 of them for 2 shirts , it’s that simple , we don’t have wing backs to be playing 3 at the back 

Agree.

And if it comes to a straight choice, both Iorfa & Borner are more than the equal of Lees in the defending stakes & when it comes to distribution & moving it out of defence are on another stratosphere to Lees.

Whereas other players seem to get pilloried regardless of how they play (thinking especially of Fox here), Lees seems totally immune from criticism.  For example, I think Lees looked a bit static & didn't react particularly quickly for their goal. Nothing too drastic, & no major complaints, he played ok & did what you would largely expect an adequate defender to do, but don't particularly see justification for singling him out for extra praise. 

As for moving Iorfa to accommodate Mr average, ridiculous.

PS on a totally unconnected point, 2 bits of sublime play from 2 players who have recently suffered a bit of criticism on here recently. Bannan's cross for the goal & Reach's brilliant run into space & inch perfect cross for the third. Clearly shows why these two players are on another level thought wise & execution wise to the rest of the squad. 

Edited by bigthinrob

It’s a tricky one because iorfa has been quality everywhere he’s played and been excellent at Cb 

but we do have an real weakness at full back 

personally I think it’s too much of a formation change to go 3 at the back you need a full pre-season to nail that for everyone and we would still need better full backs and we would end up losing our wingers to play them 

so for the good of the team and it’s no dis justice to iorfa I would move him back to right back 

I’d rather have him on the pitch and one of the full backs on the bench rather that’s iorfa, lees or borner on the bench and a starting place go to odubajo or Palmer 

then the left back position is a good battle between Palmer and fox 

7 hours ago, Royal_D said:

Because it’s not about the individual. It’s about the unit.

Which is the better unit for Brentford?

Iorfa-Lees-Borner-Fox

or

Odubajo-Iorfa-Borner-Fox

or 

Odubajo-Iorfa-Lees-Fox

For me it’s easy. The first unit.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Iorfa-Lees-Borner-Fox

or

Odubajo-Iorfa-Borner-Fox

or 

Odubajo-Iorfa-Lees-Fox

It's not like Iorfa hasn't played at RB. He played there for a season at Hull didn't he?

I'm sure he'd play there if asked.

Think of his marauding runs forward.

10 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

It might be worth considering Iorfa at right back next week to counter Ollie Watkins who often plays or drifts to the left.

No doubt Brentford will be faced with bids of  £15 m + for Watkins in the January indow.

That would be a really good idea...If Brentford hadn't been playing Ollie Watkins as a centre forward all season. 

There's no doubt Brentford's front three, if given the ball in the right places, will cause havoc. But, we've generally done pretty well against Brentford (especially at home), and much of that has come from pressing high and preventing them from building play through the thirds. 

If we can cause Brentford to play direct, then there's no reason why we can't limit their enigmatic and very talented front trio. 

(The last thing we need to be doing at the minute is moving our best performer out of the position he's excelling in. It's Iorfa + A.N.Other at centre half. Simple as that.)

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Iorfa-Lees-Borner-Fox

or

Odubajo-Iorfa-Borner-Fox

or 

Odubajo-Iorfa-Lees-Fox

Totally disagree. 

You don't go moving around a player excelling in a position, to accommodate others. Iorfa hasn't put a foot wrong since he moved to centre half...leave him there, he's an absolute beast. Odubajo has done a decent job at right back, and his pace will be just as useful as Iorfa's. In your 'preferred' setup, if Iorfa gets caught out...there's no recovery pace in that backline whatsoever...up against one of the most mobile front lines in the league. 

If Brentford get the ball to their front three, they'll cause havoc...against anybody they play against. The key to stopping Brentford, is cutting off from the source. Luongo and/or Lee could come back into the reckoning, supporting a high press front three. I'd except Reach to come in to help that, and a switch to a midfield three ourselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

It's not like Iorfa hasn't played at RB. He played there for a season at Hull didn't he?

I'm sure he'd play there if asked.

Think of his marauding runs forward.

He’s always been a RB until this season. Only played a handful of times as CB prior to this great run.

13 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

iorfa has been excellent at centre back - no reason to move him to accommodate others