13 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

its not selling our best players over last 2-3 years what has caused the financial mess , we didn't need to sell reach,forestieri ,lees etc . what we didn't need was Rhodes 8-9 million fee and 8 million wages on top . along with a complete mess getting the likes of abdi,jones urby, the list is endless . every club makes mistakes buying players we mad 10 times what nearly every other club did.  I said at the time Rhodes was a mistake as 16-17 million was a huge investment for a club like ours with that player already 18 months past his best before we got him ,its 4-5 years since he has done anything now. 

We do need to sell. No doubt about it. Our books say so. Our income is paltry

Guest Bulgaria
10 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Sorry mate, I don't think he is worth that now, there was strong rumours 3yrs ago a premiership club had offered 7mill  in hindsight that was the time to sell,I don't think any premier club would deem him good enough now. And I don't think any championship club would pay anything like that for him plus his hefty salary. 

For a bit of fun, shall i start a new thread.

is Tom Lees worth more or less than 2.5 mill?

Lets see what folks think?

26 minutes ago, handworth52 said:

its not selling our best players over last 2-3 years what has caused the financial mess , we didn't need to sell reach,forestieri ,lees etc . what we didn't need was Rhodes 8-9 million fee and 8 million wages on top . along with a complete mess getting the likes of abdi,jones urby, the list is endless . every club makes mistakes buying players we mad 10 times what nearly every other club did.  I said at the time Rhodes was a mistake as 16-17 million was a huge investment for a club like ours with that player already 18 months past his best before we got him ,its 4-5 years since he has done anything now. 

An example closer to home is Leeds. Sold wood and Taylor the other year in the close season which has basically set the foundation for financing their team ever since. We’ve had the chances to do the same but a combination of poor recruitment and unwillingness to sell has left us stuck with an average squad on high wages with a FFP punishment still to come.

• Like 1

Just now, A12owl said:

If we sell our best players we will be doing it to get over the FFP  problem we are already in. I believe the others you mentioned did it to AVOID getting into that situation. Eing in FFP denies you the opportunity to buy players. Others did it and wernt umbongoed so could still buy players. 

We can sign freebies in the summer. Thats about it.

16 hours ago, Brando17 said:

our best player by a mile

Potentially he is our best player. I don't think any reasonable person would argue that he isn't. He has more talent and vision than anyone else at the club and at one time anyone else in the league.

The trouble is he needs to produce the goods week in week out, not in flashes or the odd game. He has failed to do that for one reason or another for several years. We want him to get us on the edge of our seats but he's become a peripheral figure with just the odd cameo.

If FF was doing the business week in week out he wouldn't be at this club he'd be in the PL. It's a shame his career has largely been in the championship because if he really knuckled down he'd have been much higher.

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

Like who have the sold?

Have replaced with another £40/50/60m player. Slightly different.

Suarez, Coutinho

both regarded as their best players at the time. Without selling these players they wouldn’t have afforded to buy the team they have now. A good team is far more important than one top player, especially one that never plays.

Edited by 83owl

1 hour ago, A12owl said:

If we sell our best players we will be doing it to get over the FFP  problem we are already in. I believe the others you mentioned did it to AVOID getting into that situation. Eing in FFP denies you the opportunity to buy players. Others did it and wernt umbongoed so could still buy players. 

Whilst we are still paying out 30k a week to players that dont ever play because they are injured/can’t be bothered to train/suspended/not in the right frame of mind then we will always be umbongoed.

2 hours ago, A12owl said:

They usually send them out on loan for a season or two to a club that will give them a fair run of games 

No, if they’re not going to make it they release them to find new clubs lower down the leagues. David Brookes, for example, was a product of Man City’s academy until 2015 when he was picked up by the pigs. What’s the point in keeping them around if they’re not ever going to be good enough? Fairer to release them & let them get on with their careers.

if we could build relationships with these clubs then maybe we could benefit from the situation.

Edited by Yellowbelly

That chance at Charlton - people need to watch how intelligent that run was to get the opportunity in the first place. No other player in the squad would have got near it. The fact he missed - yes that’s gutting but, he made the change. we need him in our squad. He needs to start games. 

Watching Wednesday with FF playing is awesome. Watching us without him is a bit meh.