I thought Fox had a great game against Brum

3 hours ago, paul92vr6 said:

Reach is a better full back that's how bad Fox is.

Yes he has improved from crap to bang average.

He was at fault for the goal against brum and one against WBA as he very slowly tries to get back into position.

You can neg all you like if you think Fox is ok then you need to give your heads a wobble. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, LittleG said:

Don't start with all this "haters" crap. People have differing opinions about players and express their views on a forum.

Or is it that some with differing opinions don't like been proven wrong or man enough to apologise to the players concerned. 

Guest LittleG
1 hour ago, gizowl said:

Or is it that some with differing opinions don't like been proven wrong or man enough to apologise to the players concerned. 

If a poster on here doesn't think Fox, as an example, is good enough, how can that person be proven wrong when it's just his or her opinion. Or has everybody got to agree with your opinion?

Fox has vastly improved in the last month or so BUT he is still not good enough if we are to move forward, same can be said of Palmer, both are average defenders but the modern full back/wing back needs to have a lot more to their game, we have been screaming out for players in these positions for the last few windows and nothing has materialized,

Add to that a goalscorer to play along side Fletcher and a midfield general to compliment BB and we could start to see an improvement.

God knows what is going to happen with the EFL charges but we need to off load some old wood and refresh the squad with players who can come in and not only do a job but improve so that they are assets instead of signing players to sit on the bench and collect their over inflated wages every week.

10 minutes ago, LittleG said:

If a poster on here doesn't think Fox, as an example, is good enough, how can that person be proven wrong when it's just his or her opinion. Or has everybody got to agree with your opinion?

Don't have to agree with my opinion at all,but when a player has upped his game then it would be good for supporters who deem that player not good enough to openly acknowledge it as quickly as they are prepared to criticise. For whatever reason, Fox is playing well atmo whether it's down to the coaching staff or whatever,so it proves he has it in his locker, Long may it continue, don't forget we haven't got the resources now to replace any player we like. 

Let's put it this way...how many clubs in this league would swap their full backs for ours?

Half a dozen at most?

Think that sums it up really as to how good Fox and Palmer are.

Decent back up but not good enough for a playoff aspiring team. They both lack athleticism and composure on the ball. 

They are just a bit...meh.

6 hours ago, trev said:

Let's put it this way...how many clubs in this league would swap their full backs for ours?

Half a dozen at most?

Think that sums it up really as to how good Fox and Palmer are.

Decent back up but not good enough for a playoff aspiring team. They both lack athleticism and composure on the ball. 

They are just a bit...meh.

I don’t think any of them would 

11 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

IMHO it is a sign of how far we have fallen in the last 2-3 years that Palmer and Fox, who , most on here were saying three years ago were not good enough as BACK UP full backs are now first choice.

They may have improved slightly, but they aint improved THAT much.

Palmer was backup to Hunt for a reason. That he's now first choice shows that our squad is weaker than it was.

Fox has developed into a solid enough Championship fullback, but not the kind of player who'd be first choice in a team with genuine promotion hopes.

Both should be decent squad players. That they're regular starters is symptomatic of our awful transfer strategy in recent seasons.

9 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Palmer was backup to Hunt for a reason. That he's now first choice shows that our squad is weaker than it was.

Fox has developed into a solid enough Championship fullback, but not the kind of player who'd be first choice in a team with genuine promotion hopes.

Both should be decent squad players. That they're regular starters is symptomatic of our awful transfer strategy in recent seasons.

That's a reasonable summary, but like I've stated, we can no longer splash the cash and bring in better when we feel like it. If we are allowed one or two additions in January I feel a striker and midfielder should be priority. 

28 minutes ago, gizowl said:

That's a reasonable summary, but like I've stated, we can no longer splash the cash and bring in better when we feel like it. If we are allowed one or two additions in January I feel a striker and midfielder should be priority. 

That's true, but very frustrating that all the cash we've splurged on this squad since Wembley had resulted in us being appreciably worse off in both full back positions and probably in no position to be able to do anything about it.

1 hour ago, gizowl said:

34 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's true, but very frustrating that all the cash we've splurged on this squad since Wembley had resulted in us being appreciably worse off in both full back positions and probably in no position to be able to do anything about it.

Yes, the progress of Palmer and Fox, and the good reports from Penney’s stint in Germany, mean that we can leave the full back positions for the time being. If we are limited to loans, yes, a energetic midfielder and couple of forwards would be my choice It’s so true, we wasted three seasons worth of transfer windows, post Wembley, and spent a small fortune on players, who either are no longer involved, or shouldn’t be

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, the progress of Palmer and Fox, and the good reports from Penney’s stint in Germany, mean that we can leave the full back positions for the time being. If we are limited to loans, yes, a energetic midfielder and couple of forwards would be my choice It’s so true, we wasted three seasons worth of transfer windows, post Wembley, and spent a small fortune on players, who either are no longer involved, or shouldn’t be

Not sure I agree with you, or have just misunderstood.

I don't think Palmer or Fox should be first choice. IMO they won't contribute to a serious promotion contender - they're too slow, lack energy and switch off too often.

So, we should look at replacing them, and put them back where they should be - squad players.

If you're suggesting that we can leave this for a while, I'm assuming you mean January's window. If so, I think we would be signaling that we're not serious about promotion.

Penny is out of contract in June. If we don't offer him a contract to sign in January, his agent will be touting him as a free agent pretty much from February onwards.