I thought Fox had a great game against Brum

I thought Fox was OK , and is certainly much improved of late .

The key problems with us last night as I saw them were the quality of balls in and around the penalty area , and the lack of a 'poacher with pace' to improve our goal scoring  record  ...or at least our 'shots on target'. 

Given also that Reach ( who , for me, is often much maligned )  had a terrible game in which he hardly made a pass to his own teammates - and the fact that many of the midfielders were playing 'below par' and often 'from memory' rarely trying the positive incisive pass that might have made a difference were other contributing factors to a dour performance .  The closing down in midfield was poor, often leaving Birmingham's distinctly average squad the freedom to run almost the length of the field unchallenged  before coming up against the defenders. 

Wednesday never stopped  running - but it's where you run , and what you do when you get there that seems lacking . Birmingham, for all their shortcomings did appear to press us more effectively and to  play more as a cohesive unit who knew what their jobs were. 

Right now , the entertainment being served up to long suffering supporters is unfortunately , less than scintillating . Let's hope things can be improved on in training  before too long. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

You do find such strange things to focus on!  Why not just acknowledge a decent performance?

Because I didn’t particularly think he played well. Done well recently though. That does deserve acknowledgment.

9 hours ago, kikka said:

I thought Fox was OK , and is certainly much improved of late .

The key problems with us last night as I saw them were the quality of balls in and around the penalty area , and the lack of a 'poacher with pace' to improve our goal scoring  record  ...or at least our 'shots on target'. 

Given also that Reach ( who , for me, is often much maligned )  had a terrible game in which he hardly made a pass to his own teammates - and the fact that many of the midfielders were playing 'below par' and often 'from memory' rarely trying the positive incisive pass that might have made a difference were other contributing factors to a dour performance .  The closing down in midfield was poor, often leaving Birmingham's distinctly average squad the freedom to run almost the length of the field unchallenged  before coming up against the defenders. 

Wednesday never stopped  running - but it's where you run , and what you do when you get there that seems lacking . Birmingham, for all their shortcomings did appear to press us more effectively and to  play more as a cohesive unit who knew what their jobs were. 

Right now , the entertainment being served up to long suffering supporters is unfortunately , less than scintillating . Let's hope things can be improved on in training  before too long. 

The number of blocks and interceptions that sammy makes is brilliant, when he’s not there its clear to see the space opposition midfields are given

9 hours ago, McRightSide said:

He was ok.

Better than average but far from great.

I wouldn't even say better than average 

The trouble now is, wet lettuces like the OP seem on some kind of crusade to pretend he's any good.

The player of the month thing was cringe worthy at best

• Like 1

I also thought he played very well and whilst he didn’t cover himself in glory with the goal it wasn’t he who put us right in trouble with an awful pass on the half way line in the first place.

iorfa was the best player for us with fox comfortably second.

He did look culpable when the goal went in...mind you Bannan failed to close down their midfielder who made that lovely chipped pass before the cross went in.

I wonder if anyone was brave enough to ball Bannan for not getting out to their player quickly enough. I know I would have.

11 hours ago, Thurgoland Owl said:

Agree best two players on pitch tonight but both at fault for brum goal!

Iorfa wasn't at fault he was covering the other Brum player. If he'd left him and he'd received the ball he'd have got dogs abuse.

Fox didn't stop the cross, sometimes fullbacks get done. Harris was running rings round fullbacks at the start of the season, you put that down to Harris being good. Fox get's done people say it's because Fox made a mistake.

At this level players aren't perfect, there should be layers of defence to cover for mistakes. Brums goal we got caught out of position because of a bad pass as we were going forward. After that there were numerous players who could have stepped in to kill the threat. Either all of them were to blame to some extent or Brum counterattacked very well. 

On Owlstalk we always look for which of our players were at fault for a goal rather than accepting that sometimes the opposition did something right.

13 hours ago, shandypants said:

Some decent crosses, last ditch tackles, good block tackles and that fantastic forward run. I know Iorfa has run away with the MoM vote on here but I think Fox was our best player. 

Can't come on here making statements like this, the Fox and Nuhui haters will be after you. 

1 hour ago, Lionel Fessi said:

It's about time people got over Fox, all we need is a fullback who can put in 6/10 performances every week and he's been doing exactly that this season. Besides, you will never get promoted if one of your best players is a fullback...

You might not get promoted if your best player is a full back but if your full backs are only putting in 6/10 performances every week you still won't get promoted.

Guest LittleG
30 minutes ago, gizowl said:

Can't come on here making statements like this, the Fox and Nuhui haters will be after you. 

Don't start with all this "haters" crap. People have differing opinions about players and express their views on a forum.