SWFC team of the decade

Ach, yes, I would probably agree with some of the other posts about our best teams being the Wembley team + Antonio, but to liven things up a bit, here's a different, probably less good but definitely more entertaining team, with none of the Wembley XI allowed:

-----------------------Kirkland----------------------

-Palmer------Iorfa----------Llera-----R. Johnson-

-J.Johnson---Semedo-----Lines--------Antonio-

--------------Mellor--------Fletcher----------------

Plenty of goals in this team, in defence and attack

GK: Westwood

RB: Palmer

LB: Reda Johnson 

CB: Lees

CB:Loovens

RM: Antonio

LM: Bannan

MF: K. Lee

RF: Hooper

CF: Fletcher

LF: Forestieri 

A mixture of fine service throughout the decade, excitement to watch and how good they were at their peak. Not included players who might have got in but more associated with the 00s nor loan players.

Don’t understand people including Hooper.

He was clearly one of the most talented strikers we’ve had. But in terms of what we got out of him, together with how much we likely paid for him...he doesn’t get in ‘team of the decade’.

I really don’t think you can have a team of the decade and not include either Madine or Mellor. Two strikers who scored 19/20 in a season. Both of them missed a chunk too with injuries I believe.

Mine would be 

Westwood

Buxton

Lees

Loovens

Reda

Bannan

Semedo

Lee

Antonio

Madine

Forestieri

The only person I found it REALLY hard leaving out was Ross Wallace. 

Westwood

Hunt     Iorfa         Loovens     Pudil

Lee     hutch     Bannan     

Antonio   fletch  ff

At their best a promotion side, but not many of those produced for several seasons for various reasons like age, injurys etc

Bannan biggest contributor, iorfa most potential and value imo

21 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Pressman

Nilsson

Pearson

Walker

Worthington

Waddle

Palmer

Sheridan

Di Canio

Hirst

Carbone

Now that was a decade

Hodge

Sterland

Lyons
Madden

Worthington

Marwood

Megson

Jonsson

Varadi

Chapman

Bannister

That one weren’t bad either.

You misses out 2000-2010

Too many great players to choose from

lol

15 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

Anyone leaving out Wallace needs a jolly good talking to imho. The Hunt/Wallace combo down our right was a vital component in our play under Carlos. He was also a niggly little sod who got under the skin of the oppos.

While I agree he was great for us he wasn’t as good as Antonio so he is up against Fessi or JJ for the other wide spot unless MA goes up top. 

westwood

Hunt

Pudil

Lees

Loovens

wallace

bannan

lee

fessi

antonio

fletcher

12 hours ago, FlyingOwl said:

He was clearly one of the most talented strikers we’ve had. But in terms of what we got out of him, together with how much we likely paid for him...he doesn’t get in ‘team of the decade’.

I really don’t think you can have a team of the decade and not include either Madine or Mellor. Two strikers who scored 19/20 in a season. Both of them missed a chunk too with injuries I believe.

Mine would be 

Westwood

Buxton

Lees

Loovens

Reda

Bannan

Semedo

Lee

Antonio

Madine

Forestieri

The same Gary Madine who burnt his bridges with the club and also was sent to prison while at the club as well?

Not sure you can slate Hooper for lack of product when he was injured but include Madine who, from his own stupidity got himself locked up and unable to play football.

Also from a footballing point of view lets not forget Hooper got 14 in half a season in 17/18. If he'd have stayed fit he'd have easily got 20+.

Tim WW

Palmer    Lees     Loovens    Reda

Hutch

Lee        Bannan    FF

Hooper

Fletch

Hoops at his best, unplayable on the 9th hole.

Tim WW - naaasty.

Palmer,  one of our own - Buxton if Palmer was from Scotland or Worksop or somewhere.

Reda, just a beast who helped nail Leeds to a 6 nail coffin (Lavery, Wickham, Nuhiu deserve shout outs)

Lees - limited distribution wise but an absolute rock, captain and a club man.

Loovens - for Brighton away alone,  he literally headed, kicked and kept us alive in that second semi. No Wembley without him.

Hutch. See Loovens. Anonymous in the PO final but got us there with sheer force of will in the semi. And his smiling face after scoring v Arse in league cup, genuine throwback midfielder and loves the club. (Shout out to Alex Lopez, with him int final spraying passes and gluing defence and attack we wouldn't have been overrun by Hull)

Lee - shitwasp, CC likened him to Joao Moutinho, just got a football antenna, shame he's gone missing in big games, another 4 inches of height and 10 kg and we'd be talking Emanuel Petit.

Bannan, can ping 50 yard balls to feet on a sixpence but put him within 20 yards of the goal and his left foot turns into Jonny Wilkinson's. Energy, passion for the club, always showing, pulls the strings.  Also puts his foot in and pacey for a small lad. When he's running full tilt to defend he covers lots of the pitch, little ginger legs going like pistons.  We know he drops too deep but if his flaws weren't there he wouldn't be playing for the Weds.  Oppo fans and managers fear him.

Forest. Classic fktard genius. Passion unfortunately sometimes spills the wrong way and we've not had the best out of him over his years with club but FFS he's given us arguably the best entertainment we've had since Di Canio. Shame we can't bottle his talent, slice off the petulant part of his brain and inject his passion into Joao body.

Hoops.  Managers who over the years have tried to play our Gary at number 9, as a loan striker, have failed to see his genius ability to drop deep and link play. Right up there with Sheringham IMO in his ability to see the game a few steps of anyone else. Just a real shame him and Fletch weren't propa fit at the same time. Our best football of the decade has been the triumvirate of FF left, Hoops deep, Joao or Nuhiu up top and (4th attacker) Wallace coming in from right. Unplayable at times. 

Fletch. Annoying. Misses far too many good chances and some real important ones. That said, on a current hot streak, skill, application and link play second to none and an absolute handful for any CH. Way ahead of any number 9 since the 90's other than Wickham who had we kept and not had his injury would have rivalled our very best 9's.

Special mention to JJ, explosive.  Llera, woh oh e oh. Joao, special skillz. 

Iorfa, Luongo,  Dawson, Luke Shaw have the talent to be legends and Borner does not deserve to be out of the side.

Also pet regret is that we pulled out of buying Vardy for 5m the season when Pearson left and before they won the Prem. Chansiri biggest mistake as we would have absolutely creamed that league and be a mid table prem side now with new training ground and no Elev8 in sight.

On 18/12/2019 at 11:22, FlyingOwl said:

Mine would be 

Westwood

Buxton

Lees

Loovens

Reda

Bannan

Semedo

Lee

Antonio

Madine

Forestieri

Don't know why anyone would include Madine in our best team of the decade. Yes he was very effective for us in Division 3 but you can't just pick him because he helped us to promotion otherwise you would pick the whole 2011-12 team as it was our only promotion of the decade.

Madine has since proven how effective he is at Championship level. Fletcher is on course to score more goals at this level than Madine did at his best in the division below. Madine also played 41 games that season so not sure about the chunk of injuries you refer to.

Interesting people chose Palmer and Hunt over Lewis Buxton,  for me LB was a better player than both 

Ross Wallace gets in the side all day long aswell,  only behind Peter Whittingham in assists at Champ level is he not ?