McRightSide

Concerns about Garry Monk

By all accounts we are doing enough to win games. We've been unfortunate, just cannot seem to stick it in the onion bag. 

I think it'll come soon and we will go on a run. 

• Sad 1

It isn’t rocket science 

The whole fanbase can see our current setup means we will score minimal goals 

Nuhui and FF need to be in that starting line up - it’s criminal we start like that at home 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Absolutely spot on. We squared a perfect ball to him In the 6 yard box and he didn’t even shoot coz it was on his left peg....

Monk has my support, changing manager after manager is not the answer. He needs a proper forward oriented assistant, presumably Beattie and some positive transfer business in the window. We really are not that far off.

Completely agree. We have not been outplayed at all this season and even games against the top sides such as West brom and Leeds we could have quite easily won had we had a clinical striker. 

• Agree 4

I was surprised to see K Lee in the starting 11, though FF would have taken his place.

Monk is doing ok with the tools he has, hopefully he will be able to bring in some players to mix up the squad.

•  A pacey striker
  •  A player who can actually cross a ball
  •  and a new energetic midfielder to boss midfield

With only Harris to provide the pace he is being targeted. 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

Agreed

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

Fair enough

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

He did well off the bench against Swansea, and with 3 games in 7 days I can understand why he started. I don't think he's lacking confidence, I just don't think he's all that good... but again, he's part of a squad of about 18 players, it makes sense to use him with a fixture pile-up.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

Well he only came back into contention a month ago and even then he was short of match fitness. I understand why Monk didn't want him to waltz back in and instead earn the shirt. But he's more than done that now and should have started tonight.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

I think we looked threatening from the corners (and did at WBA too). With Harris and Murphy we're playing with more pace than last year. And our forwards are Fletcher, Forestieri, Rhodes, Winnall and Nuhiu - where's the pace in that lot?

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

Agreed, but Odubajo also has defensive weaknesses, and might well have been just as exposed against Leeds, West Brom, Swansea... all the tough matches Palmer has played

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

I thought the changes were positive and early. Good job we did have Lees on the bench.

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

I don't mind the straight talking. His press conferences are a lot better than Jos or Carlos.

13 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Sort it out Garry, and try and act with a bit more decorum

I'm also concerned that the 4-5-1 is a bit negative. The Fulham game was the absolute worst for me, as that was the one time we didn't even try to win. Ever since then we've created chances, but don't seem to put them away. But Monk is managing with someone else's squad - and a squad that Bruce wasn't particularly happy with (he wanted 2 or 3 more additions)... so think he deserves time.

He can only work with what he’s got

sadly, what he’s got isn’t very good.

as regards clotet.....he was instrumental in monk leaving Brum and as such monk has made it clear he doesn’t like him. I fail to see why people have a problem with that. Makes a pleasant change to have a manager that has a pair.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

You can kind of see what he's trying to do, especially the last few games. However you need to play to the strengths of what you have. Early in the season we were more direct and had the wide men WIDE. It worked and played to Fletchers only real strength which is his heading.

With each international brake monk's changing the way we're playing and it's killing the goals side side of our game.

Go back to what worked and change the style when he has the players to do it

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I'm also concerned that the 4-5-1 is a bit negative. The Fulham game was the absolute worst for me, as that was the one time we didn't even try to win. Ever since then we've created chances, but don't seem to put them away. But Monk is managing with someone else's squad - and a squad that Bruce wasn't particularly happy with (he wanted 2 or 3 more additions)... so think he deserves time.

Bruce said it would take 2-3 windows to sort out the 1st team squad

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

This isn’t a Monk out thread - I don’t see that a change will do us any good - but I’m starting to lose faith in Monk.

Once more, we played well enough tonight but issues of previous games still crop up

Putting to one side the negative approach to games, there are a few reasons that are starting to alarm me.

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we get crosses into the box regularly but simply don’t get enough people in the box...yet continue giving Fletcher no support

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Harris has offered nothing on the left and either needed dropping or moving to the right in place of Reach (and what happens when he moves there?)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Reach is struggling for form and needs a few weeks to recover his confidence, yet he’s playing Hokey Cokey with him

• it’s been obvious for weeks that FF needs to play a lot more, and should have started the last couple. Once again we look much more threatening with him on the pitch 

• it’s been obvious for weeks that we need more pace in the gameplay - but we insist on slow corners, slow free kicks and slow throw ins (until FF gets the ball and takes it into his own hands)

• it’s been obvious for weeks that Palmer has been well below the standard required and Odubajo should be playing. He plays tonight and we all remember what it’s like to have a proper right back 

• his changes are way too negative. Tonight - against a very average side - we start with 1 upfront yet we have Hutchinson, Lees and Pelupessy on the bench. He bucked the trend and brought on FF early, and what happened..?

• Finally, I believe a SWFC manager needs to show a bit more class than he did in his interview and match day behaviour towards Clotet

Like I say, I’m still a supporter of Monk but I just don’t know why he can’t see some of these issues when they’re extremely apparent.

Right now, the only points we’ve really picked up this season continue to be from patchy early season performances against relegation threatened sides. 

Sort it out Garry, and try and act with a bit more decorum

Not bothered about clotet or the decorum bit but the rest is spot on. 

19 minutes ago, Theboylangers said:

Whilst I tend to agree with your assessment, I am reluctant to give Monk too much of a hard time here.

The reason being, I have just started a new Manager role and my team aren't up to scratch. I can't replace them so I have to work with what I've got.

I can try and make small improvements and tweaks here and there but the reality is that that they simply aren't good enough and probably never will be. 

I do have sympathy for Monk on that basis because I understand what he has got to contend with. 

Are you Gerhard Struber? 

• Haha 1

Way too early to lay the blame on the manager. 

The focus must be on the players and the owner. They have once again reverted to type. Frankly, this bunch would get any manager fired.

We aren’t technically good enough to beat the better teams in the league, we aren’t mentally strong enough to beat the so called “lesser” teams.

And somehow, in the middle of all this we’ve converted Reach, arguably our most valuable and saleable player last season into a nobody.

Give Monk a fair crack.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Are you Gerhard Struber? 

Not quite mate. Although my task is more difficult than his! 

2 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Are you Gerhard Struber? 

I thought it was Mourinho! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Just now, Morepork said:

Way too early to lay the blame on the manager. 

The focus must be on the players and the owner. They have once again reverted to type. Frankly, this bunch would get any manager fired.

We aren’t technically good enough to beat the better teams in the league, we aren’t mentally strong enough to beat the so called “lesser” teams.

And somehow, in the middle of all this we’ve converted Reach, arguably our most valuable and saleable player last season into a nobody.

Give Monk a fair crack.

It’s not blame, it’s just questioning some decisions he’s making.

Yes, it’s not his squad but that doesn’t absolve him of criticism. He needs to get the best out of it...and I don’t think he is right now 

• Agree 7

Don’t think the OP said much wrong to be negged. 

Monk hasn’t got much in the final 3rd to work with... Harris has been figured out somewhat... we actually should start with 2 up front at home... it’s not Monk who is missing the chances either... overall it’ll be OK but probably mid table unless this team of nice guys  (not knocking) find a way to win at all costs. 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I'll give him a transfer window and the chance to put his stamp on this midtable squad first.

I can see a bit of a problem there.

we are potless.

• Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, jrh said:

The frustration is that we haven't been outplayed by anyone particularly this year yet we've dropped so many points. This league is average and dare I say if we had someone that demanded only the best and a winning spirit like those over the road then we'd be up there. 

True but neither have we outplayed anyone. 

27 minutes ago, s6 owl said:

Let's be honest it's harsh to judge any manager who is working with this group of players, no matter who the manager is we won't move forward with a new identity while ever we have the bulk of this team still remaining at the club.

Nailed it in one. 

I think he’s doing a good job with the players at his disposal. At the end of the day he can’t put it in the back of the net for them. We had chance after chance again.

We played well tonight. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I know Harris scored the goal, but I would have pulled either him or Reach for Forestieri at half time....

As for Monk...I mean lets be fair...his system today created chances that any professional footballer should be taking...I mean at least ONE of!

The second half during that period just after we equalised was bordering on f.ookin' ridiculous!!!

Fletcher should have had that one that fell to him early on...Was it Lee who had the one on one?..shoulda scored, 

Hit the bar...one headed offa the line second half...sharp turn and good save from Adthe...Its frustrating...but what can Monk do about it once they are out there....

maybe start Forestieri?..but not a lot else

• Agree 1

(Other than the OP’s last sentence - which I’m not bothered about)

And Moses being a bit dodgy at passing.