Where are the goals going to come from?

17 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

Getting Forestieri onto the pitch is key.

Words fail me as to how Murphy gets so much game time.

It was a blessing to see him play 90 mins on Saturday - he's awful. 

Agree that support needs to get closer to Fletcher - he often looks too isolated. Lee, for exmaple, has to get much closer, especially when you consider how good Fletcher is aerially..

Murphy gets so much game time because we have no other options mate. 

I too find it frustrating that there are games when FF appears to watch the action rather than chase back but my point is that we need to score more goals.

It would be truly fantastic for SWFC if a new attack coach (Beattie?) could get JR or Winnal scoring but that appointment does not look likely.

I like others equivocate over the formation and worry that 4-4-2 leave us too exposed but surely if is worth giving FF a go for a few games to see if he can recapture the goal scoring for that he had before.

On current form we are currently scoring 1 goal a game which may not even get us into the top half of the table.

4 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

I too find it frustrating that there are games when FF appears to watch the action rather than chase back but my point is that we need to score more goals.

It would be truly fantastic for SWFC if a new attack coach (Beattie?) could get JR or Winnal scoring but that appointment does not look likely.

I like others equivocate over the formation and worry that 4-4-2 leave us too exposed but surely if is worth giving FF a go for a few games to see if he can recapture the goal scoring for that he had before.

On current form we are currently scoring 1 goal a game which may not even get us into the top half of the table.

Rhodes and Winnall have been an expensive mistakes, but if we never play them as we never do then really can we blame them for anything. Both have scored goals throughout their careers both cannot even get a place on the bench with the prolific Nuihu preferred. Clearly something is wrong as they never get pick and even rarer do they start a game.

If successive managers do not play them, then clearly they should have been sold by the club, so simply why has this not happened, no one want them or no one want to pay our asking price.

Maybe there is good reason FF is not getting the game time so many want. Monk sees him in training all week and still doesn't pick him, so obviously he's not producing the goods in training let alone matchday.

Edited by CF_Owl
  • Like 1

As a couple of others have said on here, i would give 3-5-2 a shot. Play Harris wide right, Fessi wide left and insulate Bannan in the middle with 2 absolute grafters either side of him. Fletcher/Nuihu up top with one of Rhodes/Winnall/Loan Signing and we could be seriously putting pressure on opposition defences. For too long we play with a negatively deep midfield when both Bannan and Hutch are together, which in turn isolates the striker even more and also allows teams to meet almost no resistance until they are on the edge of our box. Bannan pulling the strings from deep with 2 real box to box players either side of him could means the wide players can go and run at players whilst also maintaining a midfield 3 and  playing a front 2. More players and attacking threats should* translate into more goals. 

* as will all things SWFC, should may mean not at all in any way, shape or form. :duntmatter:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think Norwich offered 1 million in the summer. It’s a huge loss on what we paid, but Rhodes can’t get in the squad let alone the side. I would have let him go. At least we wouldn’t have to pay his wages to do nothing. 

I would have let him go too... Maybe Chansiri was being stubborn wanting a higher tranfer fee or Norwich were asking us to cover most of his wages for a time and Chansiri thought he might as well stay. Whatever the reason it just seems pointless him being at our club

3 hours ago, Miffed said:

L**ds persist with Bamford and although he needs 15 chances before he puts one away, persevering with him seems to be paying off. Is it a case of us being patient or do we need to look at the fact that we probably arent creating enough goal scoring opportunities for our players.

Take corners, for example... We have Fletcher, who is good in the air, and sometimes we have Nuhiu, Lees, the rest of the centre halves etc.. all in the box, but no one who can put it on any of their heads.

Fair enough point, but for me, its still evident since 28th May fecking 2016 that we lack direct pace in a striker/forwards position. Especially one that doesn't balloon the ball all the time in to row z ..

This needed addressing asap and still does and its criminal that its not been done since. I hope that Monk does a bit of wheeling and dealing either via the loan market or full transfers and brings someone in that has a bundle of pace in their arsenal because at the moment we are so one dimensional up top its genuinely upsetting...

Also I would prefer us to play 2 up top more often, a foil or support for whoever else is up there but you would then have to make sacrifices in other areas on the pitch and I don't believe we have the compliment of players for this.

35 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

He’s never had the goal-scoring touch in a 442. We are hopelessly low scorers when he plays that role.

I think there’s some mass hypnosis thing in S6 where Forestieri is concerned. For over four seasons our record in 442 with FF as one of the 2 is utterly dismal. That’s goals and points - the only “stats” that matter.

Now if you are talking of him playing wide in a 442 with say Fletcher and Nuhiu up top that’s a different thing entirely. Or wide in 433, great. That works. 

• Like 2

Let's be honest...the only guy who is getting any goals is Fletcher and he's hardly Mr prolific. 

Luongo offers a goal threat from midfield and that's about it right now. 

On Wednesday, I think Nando has to be starting tbh. 

35 minutes ago, Jakes Grandad said:

I would have let him go too... Maybe Chansiri was being stubborn wanting a higher tranfer fee or Norwich were asking us to cover most of his wages for a time and Chansiri thought he might as well stay. Whatever the reason it just seems pointless him being at our club

I can't help but agree..I think the only person who still expects him to start firing is Delphjon.

Everytime he trots on, I think back to that time he came here with Huddersfield..Then I think...what on earth happened since!

Every Wednesday fan wanted him to fire...sadly, it ain't happening.

4 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Alongside the very serious issues of conceding late goals and Westwoods's complete collapse in performance the shortage of goals is another problem that we currently face.

The formation which seems to vary between 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 depending on the state of the game means that on Saturday at WBA Fletcher was totally isolated for the most part.

At times the two wide players Harris and Murphy were often 30 yards away from him when the ball was knocked forward.

Fletcher is a good target man and a real trier but even at his peak he was someone who might score perhaps 12 goals in a season.

Harris might get 3 or maybe 4 and Murphy I suspect even less.  Reach who came on for Harris is similar since his world class strikes seem to have dried up

In terms of the players that we currently have at our disposal I just feel that we have to find a formation that allows us to integrate FF who can be a goal poacher and also able to score from longer range.

Surely it is worth giving it a go because otherwise we do not have enough goals in the team to be pushing towards the play off places.

been saying it all season,spot on bud

10 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Some of those players might be happier at a club which isn't being persecuted by every man and his dog. The players must feel the same as us supporters with all the wrangling going on all the time.

Also we don't really KNOW what our situation is. We can only summise, guess or make it up. 

Hopefully for everbodies sake the cowboys of the EFL will make their decision sooner rather than later so we can all get on with the season knowing exactly where we are in regard to legislation.

Knowing the EFL they will come in with a points deduction once we start doing well, if we stay miserable they won't bother, but rather delay it so they can ruin our next season instead and start us at -21pts and 5 match ban on Fessi ;)

(He said jokingly but watch this space)

4 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. I don't think it will be just players not in the first eleven he'll listen to offers for though. Realistically I think he'll listen to offers for anyone in the squad. 

I’m sure he’ll listen but I think it’s the doing that seems to be the problem.

It must be clear now that the backbone of our recent starting 11 cost little or nothing in transfer fees. 
Westwood Palmer Lees Boerner Hutchinson Bannan Lee Harris Murphy and Fletcher were free’s and loans.
Allowing wages to get out of control and paying big money for non playing has beens is the problem.

Yes clear as much as possible from the wage bill and refresh the squad with some younger blood.

There are surely more like Harris, Iorfa and Boerner to be had with careful work from those Bruce appointed recruitment guys.

• Like 1

How many times have we hit the woodwork in the last few matches? I can remember twice v WBA, twice v Swansea and once each against Leeds and Blackburn (I acknowledge that Swansea and WBA hit the post against us too). That shows we're not far away from getting it right, but at the same time it shows we're just not clinical enough, those misses ultimately cost us more points than the recent spate of late goals against us did. 

3 minutes ago, WelshOwl74 said:

Asked this question soon as season started and got the answer 'we've got goals all over the park'

So how many goals have the midfielders contributed ?

For the lovers of stats we've scored less goals than Luton 

Seems you were right again then mate...but to justify yer righteous anger..You really do need to show us where anyone said 

"We've got goals all over the park"

Cos I for one couldn't see it

1 minute ago, asteener1867 said:

Seems you were right again then mate...but to justify yer righteous anger..You really do need to show us where anyone said 

"We've got goals all over the park"

Cos I for one couldn't see it

It was start of the season ,one of the joao threads ,people happy to see the back of him (which I was ) .but no thought were the goals are gonna come from .

Our strikers won't get 25 between um and the 3 midfielders who started against westbrom have 1 goal between them.

• Like 1