Jump to content
Owls Loyal

Where are the goals going to come from?

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Didn't we turn down a transfer for Rhodes because he was in the managers plans, I am sure I read there was a fee and of course his wages off the wage bill, but we have been here before with Jos last season.

 

We are not scoring enough goals to win game and have two championship quality strikers who never play instead we keep using the prolific Nuihu and his 1 in 27 games ratio.

 

Give the other striker game time.

 

There's no guarantee that Rhodes or Winnall would score goals. 

In fact Rhodes looked so out of it in his last game I actuslly felt sorry for the boy. 

 

We can stick another striker in. Go 4-4-2. But there's no guarantee we'd start winning. We may even start conceding more... which clearly is something Monk is worried about. 

 

I think he'll be hammering the lads into trying to stop conceding cheap late goals 

88, 10, 94, 32, 91, 88, 87

 

Rather than tearing it up and hoping we can suddenly start out scoring teams Keegan Style? 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:


I think Norwich offered 1 million in the summer. It’s a huge loss on what we paid, but Rhodes can’t get in the squad let alone the side. I would have let him go. At least we wouldn’t have to pay his wages to do nothing. 

Agreed. Does DC not comprehend that his wages alone cost circa 2 million a year. He's running the club into the ground with this sheeeite. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

There's no guarantee that Rhodes or Winnall would score goals. 

In fact Rhodes looked so out of it in his last game I actuslly felt sorry for the boy. 

 

We can stick another striker in. Go 4-4-2. But there's no guarantee we'd start winning. We may even start conceding more... which clearly is something Monk is worried about. 

 

I think he'll be hammering the lads into trying to stop conceding cheap late goals 

88, 10, 94, 32, 91, 88, 87

 

Rather than tearing it up and hoping we can suddenly start out scoring teams Keegan Style? 

There is no guarantee but if they never play a single minute of any game it is a guarantee they will never score.

 

It is not working at the moment so the manager needs to stop being so pig headed and try something different.

 

Even with the late goals, we have one of the best defences in the league but when we are creating chances and not scoring it put more pressure on the defence in the last 3 games we have created 46 changes on goal and managed to score just 4 goals (getting 1 point), compare that to the teams around us, Brentford 28 and 4 goals (6 points), Bristol City 32 changes, 3 goals (5 points), Swansea 29, 4 goals (4 points). Clearly we are creating a lot more changes than other teams

 

If we don't give other players a chance to sort our scoring issues out the teams is going to continue to slid down the league and if we do get any sort of points deduction relegation could be a real chance of happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy with all the signings made this summer , I think we picked up a lot of quality for a small outlay. Our problem is the ageing players sat on massive money who we have no chance of shifting out. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think Norwich offered 1 million in the summer. It’s a huge loss on what we paid, but Rhodes can’t get in the squad let alone the side. I would have let him go. At least we wouldn’t have to pay his wages to do nothing. 

 

It was reported that Norwich offered to take Rhodes on a free transfer.

 

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-jordan-rhodes-1-6192537

 

As illogical as it seems to keep a player we're not playing, with the cost of his initial fee being spread across his contract with us, we needed to ensure that we didn't accept an offer which would negatively impact this season's accounts should we accept it. Suddenly having the 2-3m we still owe (in accounting terms) appear in our accounts without it being covered by an incoming fee wouldn't have done us any favours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

There's no guarantee that Rhodes or Winnall would score goals. 

In fact Rhodes looked so out of it in his last game I actuslly felt sorry for the boy. 

 

We can stick another striker in. Go 4-4-2. But there's no guarantee we'd start winning. We may even start conceding more... which clearly is something Monk is worried about. 

 

I think he'll be hammering the lads into trying to stop conceding cheap late goals 

88, 10, 94, 32, 91, 88, 87

 

Rather than tearing it up and hoping we can suddenly start out scoring teams Keegan Style? 

 

There's no guarantee, but what has happened to Winnal, joint top scorer in the Championship when we bought him, and Rhodes, scoring in the PL, and an impeccable scoring record in the EFL throughout his career.

 

Within three/four months of signing they crash and burn. It can't be a coincidence and doesn't add up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

There's no guarantee that Rhodes or Winnall would score goals. 

In fact Rhodes looked so out of it in his last game I actuslly felt sorry for the boy. 

 

We can stick another striker in. Go 4-4-2. But there's no guarantee we'd start winning. We may even start conceding more... which clearly is something Monk is worried about. 

 

I think he'll be hammering the lads into trying to stop conceding cheap late goals 

88, 10, 94, 32, 91, 88, 87

 

Rather than tearing it up and hoping we can suddenly start out scoring teams Keegan Style? 

Agree I do think this is way Monk will look at it, some of the keeping and defending recently has been shocking.

 

Personally from an attacking perspective I think the current set up is flawed with Fletcher on his own in the middle with the 2 wingers. We only have Luongo who has the attacking intent from midfield to support that system.

 

I don't think we are getting the best out of Harris at the moment, maybe his pace and power would be more effective in a free role where he can drop his defensive duties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it be too terrible to actually drop Fletcher :mellow:

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Animis said:

 

There's no guarantee, but what has happened to Winnal, joint top scorer in the Championship when we bought him, and Rhodes, scoring in the PL, and an impeccable scoring record in the EFL throughout his career.

 

Within three/four months of signing they crash and burn. It can't be a coincidence and doesn't add up.

 

Winnall was barely given a sniff  before he was offloaded and of course then the knee injury.  The Barnsley side he was in were an attacking side largely thanks to the Hourihane (sp?) Kid in midfield. 

Our style all the way back to under Carlos has been a much slower methodical style. I think that is also part of the issue. 

Equally Rhodes was never going to fit into our style of play when we signed him with our wide players tucked in. 

 

Perhaps they could score goals if we went more open and positive. 

But our last 3 managers haven't trusted the team not to concede more than they score in thst scenario. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mus said:

Would it be too terrible to actually drop Fletcher :mellow:

Yeslol

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, room0035 said:

There is no guarantee but if they never play a single minute of any game it is a guarantee they will never score.

 

It is not working at the moment so the manager needs to stop being so pig headed and try something different.

 

Even with the late goals, we have one of the best defences in the league but when we are creating chances and not scoring it put more pressure on the defence in the last 3 games we have created 46 changes on goal and managed to score just 4 goals (getting 1 point), compare that to the teams around us, Brentford 28 and 4 goals (6 points), Bristol City 32 changes, 3 goals (5 points), Swansea 29, 4 goals (4 points). Clearly we are creating a lot more changes than other teams

 

If we don't give other players a chance to sort our scoring issues out the teams is going to continue to slid down the league and if we do get any sort of points deduction relegation could be a real chance of happening.

 

I agree we have created some good chances.

But those chances have been created in this system and by those players selected. They might not have been created in a different system with different players.  It'd all guess work.

I think if Monk was going to be more open we'd have seen it by now. Especially when we've just had all break to work on other options.

 

I think he's clearly looking, as you pointed out, at us having an overall good defensive record and thinking "cut out those absolute bollockdrops and we'd be 2nd or 3rd" 

 

I can't see him changing that line of thinking for what would be a gamble.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Short

 

  • FF needs a go at 10 role before end of contract
  • Nuhiu, Rhodes and Winnall not good enough to be relied on for goals
  • Luongo scored 2 winning goals, before being injured
  • new striker in Jan, No money so probably a loan, In the summer look for out of contract market like Borner, Bannan, Fletcher etc. with EFL looking we can't splash any cash.

 

the only thing Monk isn't doing which i think he could do is give FF a go, i am not Fessi's biggest fan, but we need to give him a go before end of contract for me as we are crying out for someone to link midfield and strikers.

 

Sorry that wasn't short. :bullen:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mus said:

Would it be too terrible to actually drop Fletcher :mellow:

 

Not if you like sabotage.

 

He's having his best season for us. Fletcher is doing his job. He's not the problem. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

 

I agree we have created some good chances.

But those chances have been created in this system and by those players selected. They might not have been created in a different system with different players.  It'd all guess work.

I think if Monk was going to be more open we'd have seen it by now. Especially when we've just had all break to work on other options.

 

I think he's clearly looking, as you pointed out, at us having an overall good defensive record and thinking "cut out those absolute bollockdrops and we'd be 2nd or 3rd" 

 

I can't see him changing that line of thinking for what would be a gamble.

If we keep the 4-3-3 or the 4-5-1 what is wrong with dropping either Lee, Hutch or Bannan and playing Fessi in an attacking midfielder role or even free role behind the striker. Lee, Bannan and Hutch are hit and miss at best and too lightweight in a midfield 3, for me drop Lee and Hutch bring in Fessi and Luongo and we score more goals but also have more of a dynamic in the middle. If Bannan scored the weigh of goals he should he would be in a premiership team but I have watch too many Wednesday teams were all the plays go through one player and it is very easy for teams to counteract. (the days of Carbone, Waddle and DiCanio)

 

We have unfortunately become too predictable and playing the better teams in the league are getting found out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting Forestieri onto the pitch is key.

 

Words fail me as to how Murphy gets so much game time.

 

It was a blessing to see him play 90 mins on Saturday - he's awful. 

 

Agree that support needs to get closer to Fletcher - he often looks too isolated. Lee, for exmaple, has to get much closer, especially when you consider how good Fletcher is aerially..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harris RW, Forestieri LW. Fletcher and Rhodes up front, with Nuhiu AM in a 3 - 5 - 2.

 

Sorted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, room0035 said:

If we keep the 4-3-3 or the 4-5-1 what is wrong with dropping either Lee, Hutch or Bannan and playing Fessi in an attacking midfielder role or even free role behind the striker. Lee, Bannan and Hutch are hit and miss at best and too lightweight in a midfield 3, for me drop Lee and Hutch bring in Fessi and Luongo and we score more goals but also have more of a dynamic in the middle. If Bannan scored the weigh of goals he should he would be in a premiership team but I have watch too many Wednesday teams were all the plays go through one player and it is very easy for teams to counteract. (the days of Carbone, Waddle and DiCanio)

 

We have unfortunately become too predictable and playing the better teams in the league are getting found out.

 

The one surprise to me I admit is thst we haven't seen Forestieri yet start in this system in which I'm pretty sure he would revel in either the wide areas (but especially the left coming in and playing off Fletcher) 

 

A midfield trio of Forestieri, Bannan and Luongo however would I'm sure put some severe pressure on purr back line!

 

We are quite predictable. I wouldn't say we have been 'found out' against the better sides mind you. It's still taken us dropping bolllocks for them to get past us. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mus said:

Would it be too terrible to actually drop Fletcher :mellow:

Yep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Owls Loyal said:

Alongside the very serious issues of conceding late goals and Westwoods's complete collapse in performance the shortage of goals is another problem that we currently face.

 

The formation which seems to vary between 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 depending on the state of the game means that on Saturday at WBA Fletcher was totally isolated for the most part.

 

At times the two wide players Harris and Murphy were often 30 yards away from him when the ball was knocked forward.

 

Fletcher is a good target man and a real trier but even at his peak he was someone who might score perhaps 12 goals in a season.

 

Harris might get 3 or maybe 4 and Murphy I suspect even less.  Reach who came on for Harris is similar since his world class strikes seem to have dried up

 

In terms of the players that we currently have at our disposal I just feel that we have to find a formation that allows us to integrate FF who can be a goal poacher and also able to score from longer range.

 

Surely it is worth giving it a go because otherwise we do not have enough goals in the team to be pushing towards the play off places.

 

The problem of who's going to score the goals has been a problem since the start of the season; most of us realised that JR, Winnall and Nuihu are not good enough.  Last year we had Reach chipping in with a few, this year he's hardly had a shot on goal. The only player who can create his own chances is FF, unfortunately he doesn't seem to be considered by Monk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...