Where are the goals going to come from?

Alongside the very serious issues of conceding late goals and Westwoods's complete collapse in performance the shortage of goals is another problem that we currently face.

The formation which seems to vary between 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 depending on the state of the game means that on Saturday at WBA Fletcher was totally isolated for the most part.

At times the two wide players Harris and Murphy were often 30 yards away from him when the ball was knocked forward.

Fletcher is a good target man and a real trier but even at his peak he was someone who might score perhaps 12 goals in a season.

Harris might get 3 or maybe 4 and Murphy I suspect even less.  Reach who came on for Harris is similar since his world class strikes seem to have dried up

In terms of the players that we currently have at our disposal I just feel that we have to find a formation that allows us to integrate FF who can be a goal poacher and also able to score from longer range.

Surely it is worth giving it a go because otherwise we do not have enough goals in the team to be pushing towards the play off places.

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think we'll be sticking with this until January when Monk can get a few in and hopefully ship a few out. 

We have already seen that getting rid of players like Rhodes and Winnall is easier said than done. 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We have already seen that getting rid of players like Rhodes and Winnall is easier said than done. 

True. I don't think it will be just players not in the first eleven he'll listen to offers for though. Realistically I think he'll listen to offers for anyone in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

True. I don't think it will be just players not in the first eleven he'll listen to offers for though. Realistically I think he'll listen to offers for anyone in the squad. 

Indeed - given our current situation and under-performing squad, I don't think anyone should feel safe. And that should really play to our advantage because you'd think the player group would perform then to avoid having to find a new employer, however so far there's momentary lapses of concentration proving very costly all around the board.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

I hope so. Four seasons on from the play off final side, we're still starting games with Lee, Hutch and Bannan in the same midfield. Wtf has Chansiri been spending his money on. 

L**ds persist with Bamford and although he needs 15 chances before he puts one away, persevering with him seems to be paying off. Is it a case of us being patient or do we need to look at the fact that we probably arent creating enough goal scoring opportunities for our players.

Take corners, for example... We have Fletcher, who is good in the air, and sometimes we have Nuhiu, Lees, the rest of the centre halves etc.. all in the box, but no one who can put it on any of their heads.

6 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I hope so. Four seasons on from the play off final side, we're still starting games with Lee, Hutch and Bannan in the same midfield. Wtf has Chansiri been spending his money on. 

Monumental wages on players like Abdi, Jones, Boyd etc. 

Barmy stuff. 

Just pray there's enough in the kitty now for Monk to do some wheeling and dealing. 

20 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Alongside the very serious issues of conceding late goals and Westwoods's complete collapse in performance the shortage of goals is another problem that we currently face.

The formation which seems to vary between 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 depending on the state of the game means that on Saturday at WBA Fletcher was totally isolated for the most part.

At times the two wide players Harris and Murphy were often 30 yards away from him when the ball was knocked forward.

Fletcher is a good target man and a real trier but even at his peak he was someone who might score perhaps 12 goals in a season.

Harris might get 3 or maybe 4 and Murphy I suspect even less.  Reach who came on for Harris is similar since his world class strikes seem to have dried up

In terms of the players that we currently have at our disposal I just feel that we have to find a formation that allows us to integrate FF who can be a goal poacher and also able to score from longer range.

Surely it is worth giving it a go because otherwise we do not have enough goals in the team to be pushing towards the play off places.

We have 5 strikers at the club yet play 1 up front every game with attacking wingers who don't score goals.

Without repeating myself we need to play a 4-4-2 or at the very least have more goal threat on the pitch.

Fessi is the most gifted attacker we have yet he never starts instead we go for the rubbish Murphy, the out of form Reach or the pointless Nuihu.

Until the manager realise that the current team set up will result in us needed to keep clean sheets to win games nothing will change. Agianst better teams in the league we will concede goals.

For me this is firmly on Monk's shoulders as he just seem so stubborn when it comes to team selections. We have the same scenarios as under Jo's half of the squad cannot get any game time. Until this changes nothing will improve on the pitch. 

When we needed goals on Saturday out only goal scoring option was Fessi as no Winnall or Rhodes in match day squad so what does monk do bring on Reach for Harris, then Luongo and Nuihu. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Monumental wages on players like Abdi, Jones, Boyd etc. 

Barmy stuff. 

Just pray there's enough in the kitty now for Monk to do some wheeling and dealing. 

Let's hope so Snoots. How we get rid of Rhodes, I have no idea. Who would pay his wages let alone a fee and we know DC refuses to compromise on this stuff. Bonkers. 

I know I should be sectioned for even suggesting this but at home especially I think we should start Rhodes. Just to see if feeding on knock downs from Fletcher could help him as he wouldn’t have to do anything except be there and finish

if even go totally mad and play 3-4-1-2 and to hell with it 

im off for a rest in a darkened room 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Let's hope so Snoots. How we get rid of Rhodes, I have no idea. Who would pay his wages let alone a fee and we know DC refuses to compromise on this stuff. Bonkers. 

I have a fear that Rhodes will end up on a free when his contract runs out.

19 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Didn't we turn down a transfer for Rhodes because he was in the managers plans, I am sure I read there was a fee and of course his wages off the wage bill, but we have been here before with Jos last season.

We are not scoring enough goals to win game and have two championship quality strikers who never play instead we keep using the prolific Nuihu and his 1 in 27 games ratio.

Give the other striker game time.

3 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I am sure I heard that we turn down a fee and his wages gone for Rhodes, I think it was probably Norwich, but to have him here an not play at all is madness of the Chansiri kind.

Guest wilyfox

The goals won't come in that system with those personnel. Our wide players naturally hug the touch line, so it is more 4-5-1 than 4-3-3. They don't have striker's instinct. People will counter that by calling for FF, but he won't track back. Hopefully a solution in January if we can offload and are not umbongoed. Until then, it's try to scrape by with the odd Fletcher goal and sporadic contribution from elsewhere.  

7 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I think Norwich offered 1 million in the summer. It’s a huge loss on what we paid, but Rhodes can’t get in the squad let alone the side. I would have let him go. At least we wouldn’t have to pay his wages to do nothing. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

7 minutes ago, Miffed said:

L**ds persist with Bamford and although he needs 15 chances before he puts one away, persevering with him seems to be paying off. Is it a case of us being patient or do we need to look at the fact that we probably arent creating enough goal scoring opportunities for our players.

In terms of 'expected goals', we should be doing better than we are. The stats suggest that we're being slightly wasteful in front of goal, which tallies with what we're seeing with our own eyes at matches.

With it being fine margins in so many of our games this season, that extra goal that we should have scored here or there would make quite a difference to the league table...

327266016_ScreenShot2019-11-25at12_43_43.png.783c32e4637bd46d034dc81237f02c0f.png

Leeds are a good comparison point, actually. If they had a more lethal striker than Bamford up front, they could be running away with the division.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I am sure I heard that we turn down a fee and his wages gone for Rhodes, I think it was probably Norwich, but to have him here an not play at all is madness of the Chansiri kind.

This type of utter fookwittery is sadly DCs standard operation. Crackers