Why are we unhappy?

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Chansiri: 

Heart in right place; head not.

Think that just about sums up his time here. 

It wouldn’t really matter if Chansiri hadn’t a clue about running a football club if he’d appointed people around him who did. There lies the real problem, there must be plenty of quality senior people out there steeped in knowledge of the English game and the day to day running a football club who’d jump at the chance of coming to SWFC but somehow he’s managed to avoid them. I think getting the right team around Mr Chansiri is just as important as getting the right team around Monk. Both teams need a clear out.

Edited by Growl67
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mr g 1999 said:

Never known us in the top division. Never known us do better than the 2015/16 POF season under carlos. Never witnessed the glory days of Hirst/Sheridan/Waddle. Never been to any major cup finals. Think the majority of our fan base should count themselves lucky that they have witnessed these things first hand. Us younger owls have only had dross to deal with for the past 20 years, yet we still turn up week after week to support our team. The only glory we have to shout about is the glory that our dads witnessed. 

As far as this season goes, we're a good team, just unlucky. We're playing good football but management from the 80th+ min is killing us. Comparing ourselves to them scrubbers over the road won't do us any good. We had our laughs in the championship the previous 6 years while they were wallowing in the 3rd tier, we're sure to swap positions soon enough. Think as a fan base we need to stop living in the past and realise where we are at this point in time and not get too carried away when we win and not to dismal when we lose. But then again, we're Wednesday and it's never that simple! 

UTO

FTB

WTID

Same for me. Been going since 2000 hearing my dad talk about beating Man Utd regularly and taking trips to Kaiserslautern away. 

It'll be all the sweeter when we do eventually get there. 

I'll give you a moan. Novembers been crap. Its pizzed it down all month, its depressing, dark and cold. Everyone hates each other because of Brexit and the election. Just when you need your team to cheer you up we've let soft goals in in three matches that have cost us 6 points. For those that care, we also lost the Rugby World Cup and the cricket test team are a joke.

Still got two games to go too..... :mellow:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peacenocchio said:

I'll give you a moan. Novembers been crap. Its pizzed it down all month, its depressing, dark and cold. Everyone hates each other because of Brexit and the election. Just when you need your team to cheer you up we've let soft goals in in three matches that have cost us 6 points. For those that care, we also lost the Rugby World Cup and the cricket test team are a joke.

Still got two games to go too..... :mellow:

And every advert is a F***ing christmas one!!!!

• Haha 2

We're unhappy. Of course we're unhappy. We all want the club to be the best it can be. For many reasons it's not. There's the pricing of course,  which would be overlooked if we'd had or were having any success. 

There's the draconian measures imposed on us by SAG and their henchmen at SCC and SYP. Who, let's be honest won't rest until we're driven from our home.

There's a team which has largely been allowed to stagnate. Over a period of years which has left us with a mid table team which we are all somehow willing to be better than they are in reality. 

And of course , the Blunts. Personally I take the outlook thst they have biggerall to do with us. But I understand that for those that are younger, or those that have to work with the terrible beasts there's an unbearable level of 'bantz' building up. 

I think that what's happening at the stain is having a bigger bearing on things than many would care to admit. Especially as it looks, if we're being honest, like it's no flash in the pan. 

We want order restored and at the moment there seems to be no sign of that at all on the horizon. Monk is yet to have a transfer window. 

On top of that the EFL have now decided to start getting involved despite letting tens of clubs get away with murder over the years. 

It's a long haul job for us.  There's bound to be unhappiness in the camp.

All we can really do is enjoy the little things that make being a wednesday fan.  Enjoy the goals. Enjoy the wins when they come. Enjoy chatting with mates.  

"Life's a journey not a destination" as someone once said.

And that's football really isn't it. 

As an Owl at least. 

Success is something we see but once a lifetime. It's all the bits inbetween that make up our lives in the game. And it's not always a happy lot.  Or something. 

To answer the subject in short. Because we're making silly mistakes and throwing away important points and now the race for autos is more or less over for us and if we're not careful, so will the race for play offs.

Adding a bit more to that... it's high time we get a grip and work towards those play offs, but currently there's a few too many kinks needing ironing out, plus we're not on the receiving end of much luck or margins to help us out. One generally follows the other with hard work and performances leading to wins and then getting a good flow so that even with a mediocre match like WBA put up against us they still managed to snag the win... right now, we're on the losing end of those battles. I'm not going to say it's a confidence issue or mental issue like we had a few seasons ago, but more to do with keeping a cool head and being more clinical and getting the basics right.

4 hours ago, Mycroft said:

They get £100 million every so often dropped into their bank account,  keep it on a level playing field. 

I'm not suggesting we do the same but there are clubs in our division that have given free away travel occasionally and free scarves etc. It's just to give a little bit of something back to the fans every now and then. We used to have half price matches but that doesn't reward season ticket holders. 

29 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

At least there are people who care enough to moan.

I just don't care at the moment. Can't get angry about the situation we are in. I'm indifferent.

Leeds fan at work asked who we are playing midweek -had no clue. Will just turn up at my usual time and see what happens.

I'll leave you a hint, you might get to see this fella again!

image.png.8326f2d219b9e09b4ed40b159e2c1b84.png

14 hours ago, Andrew Robinson said:

A lot of unhappy supporters on here and many branding them as moaners.

Well I have just watched that other Sheffield club on MOTD playing at our previous ground against MUFC.  They played well with a team which has cost much less than ours, still costs less than ours and is not as good as ours. But boy, are they getting the best out of them and being allowed nearly 33k in the stadium which the same SAG allows us nowhere near in spite of nearly 40k seats. 

We still have every reason to be doing better but on many fronts, not just on the pitch, we are not. Thanks for all the investment but we are nowhere near where we should be. No wonder so many are so angry. 

After 63 years active support, I am not ashamed to say I am really fed up. I have 2 1/2 years left on my season ticket but at the age of 71 I really am beginning to feel it will probably now take longer than I have years left. 

So do you still brand me a moaner and not a real supporter?

Agree wholeheartedly with your post.  My dad stopped going when he was in his late 70's, he said he'd had enough. 

Apart from one League cup he'd never seen us win anything.  I still have a season ticket but I'm starting to feel like he did. 

There is nothing anymore to make you feel positive.  The game has changed so much I feel like I don't like it as a whole any more. 

My old dad used to say Wednesday never had the ambition to go all the way, maybe he was right after all.

2 minutes ago, Mus said:

Agree wholeheartedly with your post.  My dad stopped going when he was in his late 70's, he said he'd had enough. 

Apart from one League cup he'd never seen us win anything.  I still have a season ticket but I'm starting to feel like he did. 

There is nothing anymore to make you feel positive.  The game has changed so much I feel like I don't like it as a whole any more. 

My old dad used to say Wednesday never had the ambition to go all the way, maybe he was right after all.

Amen

After years away from the top division I think fans are now realising we are a considerable distance away from returning to former glories or even a year in the sun in the Premier League.

We have had the hope and promise of Carlos's first two seasons followed by another 2 wasted years after not building the squad correctly with the financial acumen required.  Appreciate we were not complaining at the signings of the likes of Abdi and Rhodes and hindsight is wonderful but EVERYONE knew we needed to add power and pace to build on the Play Off sides and we got neither.  

It is undeniable that United's advancement has escalated the feeling among fans and can see the current predicament with potential points deductions being the final straw.  Another set of supporters may decide enough and start giving season tickets a miss.  Once this kicks in they will then be reluctant to pay the current match day prices and do something different.  Watching Wednesday is a habit and once broken due to a culmination of reasons crowds will dwindle.

Personally as a season ticket holder since 1991 I am getting bored by the whole Wednesday experience.  The odd exciting win arrives but other than that it is just 'Meh'.  I experienced this previously but then started taking my lad who absoloutly loves Wednesday and I got my appetite back.  I will continue to go and buy a season ticket as its what I do but it is getting so the pub before and meeting up with mates is the reason to go.

Guest LittleG
10 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

After years away from the top division I think fans are now realising we are a considerable distance away from returning to former glories or even a year in the sun in the Premier League.

We have had the hope and promise of Carlos's first two seasons followed by another 2 wasted years after not building the squad correctly with the financial acumen required.  Appreciate we were not complaining at the signings of the likes of Abdi and Rhodes and hindsight is wonderful but EVERYONE knew we needed to add power and pace to build on the Play Off sides and we got neither.  

It is undeniable that United's advancement has escalated the feeling among fans and can see the current predicament with potential points deductions being the final straw.  Another set of supporters may decide enough and start giving season tickets a miss.  Once this kicks in they will then be reluctant to pay the current match day prices and do something different.  Watching Wednesday is a habit and once broken due to a culmination of reasons crowds will dwindle.

Personally as a season ticket holder since 1991 I am getting bored by the whole Wednesday experience.  The odd exciting win arrives but other than that it is just 'Meh'.  I experienced this previously but then started taking my lad who absoloutly loves Wednesday and I got my appetite back.  I will continue to go and buy a season ticket as its what I do but it is getting so the pub before and meeting up with mates is the reason to go.

Very good post, most of which I can relate to. I wasn't even annoyed when West Brom scored late on Saturday. The apathy amongst supporters reflects the atmosphere in the ground, it's all very flat. I expect the worse when Wednesday play and that wayi'm not so disappointed when we lose but enjoy the wins.Nearly 20 years out of the top flight says it all about oir club and cant see us getting back there anytime soon. Going to matches these days is more about spending quality time with my grandson.

You were unlucky on Saturday as I don't think you deserved to lose the game - you were much the better team in the second half and if there was a goal, it looked like it would come your way.

The game changed when Barry and Brunt came and added a bit more impetus to our midfield.

The game is based on fine margins - and you cannot legislate for Iorfa and Palmer to be ball watching and to get beaten by such a basic, route one long ball. It was basic defending and they made a pigs ear of it. Lees and Borner would have gobbled that up. 

Bannan was excellent and provides that control in midfield. Lee ideally needs to get close to Fletcher. I know Forestieri has his issues but he is undoubtedly a match winner, he has quality, and its imperative that Monk gets the best out of him. 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Not sure about the ability but you are bang on about desire and intensity.  Reach for example has some fantastic ability when scoring those great goals but doesn’t have enough intensity in his game.

McGoldrick sums it up for me, a player that was talked about on here as a potential signing from Ipswich and I remember the majority of us weren’t that keen. Now he’s giving PL defenders a bad day

I think what Wilder and Warnock in the past have realised is that a team full of aggressive players who work hard can sometimes achieve more than a team of “nice footballers”.  

It will be interesting to see what types of player Monk goes for in January if he’s able to, as I have a feeling it will be ones with aggression and an attitude, rather than fancy dans 

Great post, I feel we can be a bit snobbish when players are linked as we expect them to be of a certain pedigree. But if we are linked to a 26 year old from MK Dons in January then we should try and see the bigger picture. And I don’t mean signing players for the league we’ll be in next season :biggrin:

Let's be honest this squad of players isnt getting any younger most of our good players are getting towards the tail end of their career, Kieran Lee, barry, fletcher, Westwood and hutch (not saying that this is their last season but that they will only perform so well for a few more seasons). They havent got many seasons left at their current forms as I believe were starting to see with westwood, and with all the financial troubles were now in replacing them players will become harder and harder.

1 hour ago, VBQ24 said:

Same for me. Been going since 2000 hearing my dad talk about beating Man Utd regularly and taking trips to Kaiserslautern away. 

It'll be all the sweeter when we do eventually get there. 

Yeah, my first season ticket was in league one, playing the likes of tran mere and co. 

I vaguely remember a match with us beating Wimbledon 5-1 when I was very young though. Can't remember much else from prem, as was too busy chanting with my cousin (even though everyone else was dead quite, prob relegation season or something haha)

2005/06 was great for me, Arsenal/Brighton probably best games I've been too. 

Would certainly be sweet.

Edited by jomaco
  • Like 2

It's the false hope AGAIN from the last 2 or 3 years that has increased the apathy.

Add the following and you get a pretty downbeat set of supporters...

Dem Blavges flying in the PL with some players that let's be honest, are championship players. 

SAG 

Umbongo

Steve Bruce Saga

The latest EFL business.