Westwood

I dont get the massive blame game on Westeros this time. He's culpable but feel it should be directed at a static deefence more as Westwood trying to mop up their mess.

I've been critical of him but from a keepers perspective he's got 2 options;

1/ Stay on his line and allow the wba player to get the ball and hope the defenders get beck in to position or allow the wba player a free shot on goal. He'd get castigated for not coming off his line.

2/ come out and try and beat the player to the ball.

He went for number 2 but just not committed enough. If he'd have flung himself towards the ball he'd have probably been able to punch it away and maybe win a free kick.

For me when you watch the highlights over and over, I've got absolutely no idea wtf Palmer and now even Iorfa are thinking. Ball watching and poorly done, they've sold Westwood down the river cos hes seen em stop but noticed a player running from deep and 2 defenders like statues calling for a non existent offside.

God dam awful defending.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

We should loan a keeper off of Forest, Westwood needs a spell out but I don't have faith in the understudies. 

Is that based on the fact that the only league goal Dawson has conceded this season was from Cardiff’s very dodgy free kick?

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He was terrible. We conceded every match he played

Was playing with a completely different team in front of him every week. A team devoid of all confidence.

There’s no doubt we should be currently playing a lot better but we aren’t anywhere near as bad as that period under Jos.

Edited by 83owl

27 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Was playing with a completely different team in front of him every week. A team devoid of all confidence.

There’s no doubt we should be currently playing a lot better but we aren’t anywhere near as bad as that period under Jos.

As in all these debates, I hope you are right and that I am wrong

1 hour ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I dont get the massive blame game on Westeros this time. He's culpable but feel it should be directed at a static deefence more as Westwood trying to mop up their mess.

I've been critical of him but from a keepers perspective he's got 2 options;

1/ Stay on his line and allow the wba player to get the ball and hope the defenders get beck in to position or allow the wba player a free shot on goal. He'd get castigated for not coming off his line.

2/ come out and try and beat the player to the ball.

He went for number 2 but just not committed enough. If he'd have flung himself towards the ball he'd have probably been able to punch it away and maybe win a free kick.

For me when you watch the highlights over and over, I've got absolutely no idea wtf Palmer and now even Iorfa are thinking. Ball watching and poorly done, they've sold Westwood down the river cos hes seen em stop but noticed a player running from deep and 2 defenders like statues calling for a non existent offside.

God dam awful defending.

There is the third choice which most goalkeepers would have done.

Come out but don’t commit unless you are 100% certain you can get the ball ,  stand tall , make the forward stretch for the ball and knock it wide like he had to but don’t actually make a stupid challenge . Once you do that the forward will always go down.

12 minutes ago, Ian said:

Don’t spoil his point with facts!

The thing is, a keeper is only as good as his back four, back three, back five or whatever - and vice versa.

You judge Westwood in one area but that simply is just one area.    He offers so much more to the unit than either Wildsmith or Dawson does, even given his relative poor form this season.

Now should  Westwood have an injury and we need to finish the season with Dawson and Wildsmith, it's not the end of the world because all three are Championship standard, but we would have to change our defence to accommodate the fact that we have a nervous keeper in the net who doesn't command his backline very well.     We'd also need one of our defenders to be better in distribution because quite frankly, Dawson and Wildsmith don't have any kind of decent distribution.

Edited by Salmonbones

I think anyone who was at WBA yesterday will not have been surprised by yet another error from Westwood.

That is 6 major errors this season.

Two have been rushes of blood dashing out to give a penalty away.

Four have been flapping or dropped catches.

No Championship manager would keep him in goal with a record like that..

6 hours ago, SquirrelSlingshot said:

The fact that Palmer made a poor error doesn't mean that Westwood then has to compound it with another poor error (second goal, don't think he did much wrong for the first)

The mental knots people are willing to tie themselves in to absolve him of any blame are quite remarkable

No one needs mental knots because it’s very easy to do.

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Can't you remember when he had a run in the team

I remember him having a run in the team... A team with no Hutchison and no cohesion in defence. Teams where having 10/15 shots on target a game. Dawson needs a run in the team now we're a much more settled side. He's done very well when he's been called on this season and that save against stoke was absolutely top draw

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Salmonbones said:

The thing is, a keeper is only as good as his back four, back three, back five or whatever - and vice versa.

You judge Westwood in one area but that simply is just one area.    He offers so much more to the unit than either Wildsmith or Dawson does, even given his relative poor form this season.

Now should  Westwood have an injury and we need to finish the season with Dawson and Wildsmith, it's not the end of the world because all three are Championship standard, but we would have to change our defence to accommodate the fact that we have a nervous keeper in the net who doesn't command his backline very well.     We'd also need one of our defenders to be better in distribution because quite frankly, Dawson and Wildsmith don't have any kind of decent distribution.

Take that last sentence and add Westwood to it. 

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, torryowl said:

No he wasn't and  no we didn't. 

Pretty sure we only kept one clean sheet in the first half of the season before Westwood came back, a total of 22 games, and that was the 0-0 massacre at Bramall Lane where Dawson saved the penalty. Then he got one more later on in the season (think at home vs Bristol City).

He didn't have a good record at all, not withstanding the fact that the rest of the team were poor too.

This season he was partially at fault for the Cardiff goal by standing so that the whole goal was open. He kept clean sheets vs some of the weaker sides in the division i.e. the ones in the relegation zone at home. It's far from conclusive that Dawson is the answer to anything.

That said, would probably refocus Westwood to be left on the bench for a few games because of his poor performances. Bring him back in after a break and hope he's back up to standard.

On 23/11/2019 at 19:14, TaxiMark said:

We have an ageing squad that we cant seem to get rid off bcz of DC failing to sell.

We bought in a load of strikers right at the start and blew our money on one end of the pitch, whilst we needed players all over.

We are a joke of a club and I wish someone that knew how to run a football club could come in and sort our mess out because we arnt going anywhere in the foreseeable.

Tough times again i fear.

Seriously. Cut out the individual errors in critical areas and we could or should have beat wba away. 

Another glass half empty fan. Not even Xmas yet and 3 wins would put is in the mix. 

Westwood has made an alarming amount of costly errors so far this season. But we have a young keeper deserving his chance. Hopefully the Westwood cult can get behind his replacement now. 

Although Westwood not completely at fault. He should have handled the situation better.