Paolo Di Canio back at Hillsborough

2 hours ago, Mycroft said:

Apart from the fact that he was worshipped at every club he played for. 

He gave the fans what they wanted... Entertainment 

He didn’t give me what I wanted at Derby away 1997, or at home against Watford in the cup replay. 

Like I said great footballer but if it wasn’t going Paolo’s way he was the type to take his ball home. Engineered the transfer away from S6 , but like others have said we were being run and managed by muppets at the time.

if they’d have been concrete offers from top clubs while he was at WHU he’d have been off like a shot. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sten said:

If Prince Andrew was decent with a ball at his feet would you shut your eyes to a transfer to S6? Sounds like you're a person of dubious moral integrity.

I think Prince Andrew is past his best , cant see him getting into our team .

• Haha 3

The guy was a joy to watch,its often said that genius has its flaws,and he had his moments,but he was worth the entrance fee on his own,pure theatre whenever he played.

Just a shame we didnt do what man utd did with cantona and back him in his hour of need,but in true Wednesday style we failed him and let him leave for a fraction of his fee,all to west hams credit.

4 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

What did Wilson say that hung him out to dry.

Bearing in mind, and not for the first time, Di Canios's behaviour was indefensible.

He stated within an hour of the final whistle, that the club had suspended the player immediately, didn't wait for the FA to rule on it.

Di Canio did plenty of stupid things but he needed a good, strong manager to get the best out of him. Wilson wasn't it, he wanted the ego's out. Got rid of Di Canio with the help of the Chairman who was looking to please the FA, saw Carbone off and took us down.

Wilson was a solid player for us but was never up to the job of managing us at that time, he never had a job that big and got nowhere near getting one at that level again. 

8 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

He didn’t give me what I wanted at Derby away 1997, or at home against Watford in the cup replay. 

Like I said great footballer but if it wasn’t going Paolo’s way he was the type to take his ball home. Engineered the transfer away from S6 , but like others have said we were being run and managed by muppets at the time.

if they’d have been concrete offers from top clubs while he was at WHU he’d have been off like a shot. 

It's all about you.  :)

For me he put the effort in more than most players as well as the skill element and entertainment value.

To make a statement that he engineered the transfer away from the club is laughable, more likely he saw which way the wind was blowing after the event and like everyone he looked after himself.

A brilliant player and probably the most skilful I've seen in a Wednesday Shirt.

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

It's all about you.  :)

For me he put the effort in more than most players as well as the skill element and entertainment value.

To make a statement that he engineered the transfer away from the club is laughable, more likely he saw which way the wind was blowing after the event and like everyone he looked after himself.

A brilliant player and probably the most skilful I've seen in a Wednesday Shirt.

Waddle would p!ss all over him

I don't think anyone would dispute he was a great player but even when he played for us you just knew it was all going to end in tears.
People seem to forget before he joined Wednesday he played for some really big clubs under some really big name managers and had falling outs with the them and walked out.

Think he saw Wednesday as a bit of stepping stone to getting a London club.

17 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Dicanio would p!ss right back at him.  

I can't split them both players got the crowd on the edge of the seat when they got the ball, expectation was in the air.                                                         

Waddle was twice the player and man 

The forwards had to check their runs in to the box half a dozen times whilst Di Canio was dicking around beating the same fullback  for his own entertainment 

Edited by the monk

12 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Absolute genius the likes of which we had never seen before and certainly haven't seen since.

Worth the entrance fee alone to watch him play.

Harry Redknapp must have been laughing his wee wee tail off when Desperate Dan flogged him for 1.5m.

Younger owlstalkers , this is what happens with the mists of time !

12 minutes ago, the monk said:

Waddle was twice the player and man 

The forwards had to check their runs in to the box half a dozen times whilst Di Canio was dicking around beating the same fullback  for his own entertainment 

Rubbish Dicanio had Booth up front of course he had keep beating the same man whilst Booth made up his mind what he was gonna do. 

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

He stated within an hour of the final whistle, that the club had suspended the player immediately, didn't wait for the FA to rule on it.

Di Canio did plenty of stupid things but he needed a good, strong manager to get the best out of him. Wilson wasn't it, he wanted the ego's out. Got rid of Di Canio with the help of the Chairman who was looking to please the FA, saw Carbone off and took us down.

Wilson was a solid player for us but was never up to the job of managing us at that time, he never had a job that big and got nowhere near getting one at that level again. 

He stated...that the club.

Must be Wilsons fault then. 

Was Wilson at fault when the same player got sent off for arguing with a linesman. 

He needed strong managent, I applaud the Swindon chairman who sacked him for punching a player. 

Less we forget his Nazi salutes to fans in Italy. 

9 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Di Canio was managed at Juventus by Giovanni Trapattoni and moved on after he fell out with him.
Was also managed by Fabio Capello at AC Milan and was sold to Celtic after a bust up.

Di Canio for large parts of his career was a ticking time bomb that even the best managers found impossible to manage.

• Thanks 1

Can't help feeling that the wrong person got penalised . Yes, Di Canio deserved sending off for pushing the Ref. That is indefensible, but I still think the real culprit was the \ref. The way I saw it, the Ref said something which Di Canio disagreed with, and he pushed himself away from the Ref, turning at the same time. The Ref's subsequent fall was so theatrical as to be outrageous........and then-

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, A12owl said:

This what started it all. Incident at 4:00 and goal at 12:00.

If only Alcock hadn't fallen down . Who knows where we would be now .

One of those "I was there days"

Wilson's interview here is why everything went wrong !

No intention of sticking by him or supporting him he saw the chance to get him out and took it !

20 hours ago, marshy said:

Shoves over the ref, Winterburn shat his self. Gets labelled a fancy Dan, by a manager way out of his depth, told to leave club, he ends up at West Ham.

Compared with Cantina who launched himself into a fan, gets wrapped in cotton wool by Man Utd and Ferguson, end up coming back an even better player. We as a club handled the situation badly, like we do many things. 

Tough one with Di Canio for many fans. I’m generally positive about his time here .. he was a fascist but never showed that here (but that doesn’t make it right) .. was only when he was at Lazio and with the Ultras ..

Not read his book so dunno what he said about us, I’m sure somebody can paste the extracts …

He was one of the best players we’ve ever had at the club in terms of technical ability and getting people off their seats .. I don’t think we’ve had anyone like him since. Him and Carbone together. Good lord. We had some decent players back then.

It all went boobies up after the Alcock shove though and you see the contrast between us and Manchester United when handling something of this nature. Where Cantona attacked a fan while playing, he was looked after and came back to fire Manure to wins and titles.

Unfortunately Dave Richards threw Di Canio under the bus and made Danny Wilson the scapegoat as to not tarnish his application for the prem chairman position (so I’m led to believe)

Anyway … no point dwelling on what may have been … we missed out on a couple of seasons of Di Canios wizardry. He’s a fecking idol at West Ham because of what he did … should have been with us .. ffs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buxtongent said:

Can't help feeling that the wrong person got penalised . Yes, Di Canio deserved sending off for pushing the Ref. That is indefensible, but I still think the real culprit was the \ref. The way I saw it, the Ref said something which Di Canio disagreed with, and he pushed himself away from the Ref, turning at the same time. The Ref's subsequent fall was so theatrical as to be outrageous........and then-

He didn't get sent off for pushing the ref, he pushed the ref because he got sent off. I think had the ref handled it better the push wouldn't have happened, instead of calling Di Canio and Keown to him and sending them both off, he showed the straight red to Di Canio first so he must have assumed he was the only one getting punished.

I've always hated Vieira for starting the whole incident though...

• Like 1