Paolo Di Canio back at Hillsborough

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, S36 OWL said:

Is he fit for Chralton on Saturday? 

Most of the time people say that kind of thing about 50 year old ex players as a joke, but in his case I'd imagine he genuinely could still offer more in front of goal than what we have now

Supremely talented footballer but flawed individual.

In terms of only the football and whatever the thoughts you hold of him as a person - I did enjoy watching him as our player - some great moments and sheer brilliance.

Football wouldn't be the same without controversy.

Now they are even trying to get rid of that with VAR.

Like all famous wee wee tail ups at SWFC it came about through a perfect storm of ineptitude.

A notoriously temperamental player, a manager out of his depth and a chairman trying to curry favour with the premier league. If any one of those factors had been different then who knows how the last 20 years may have turned out. 

36 minutes ago, A12owl said:

So we are now blaming Di Canio for all our problems. You may be right that things started to go down hill after this incident but the club could have handled it better. Wilson was way out of his depth. 

We agree. My point is not to blame Di Canio. It is that we should have handled the Alcock incident way more shrewdly. And either kept him, or found a way to realise market value. There was no one incident that sent us over the cliff in the 1990s and of course there was a whole chain of stupid appointments including Wilson and later Jewell etc. But the mishandling of Di Canio didn't help one bit

Didn’t we have a chairman at the time who didn’t want to affect his standing with the league and wanted to appear virtuous and moralistic by hanging Paolo out to dry?  Was it wrong what he did? Yes. Do you practically give away one of the top forwards in English football? That’s a personal decision but I wouldn’t have and I don’t think a Chairman with ambition for the club would have. 

Look at Man Utd with Cantona. Far worse what he did and the club stuck by him as it was in their best interests. 

1 minute ago, Tudders said:

Didn’t we have a chairman at the time who didn’t want to affect his standing with the league and wanted to appear virtuous and moralistic by hanging Paolo out to dry?  Was it wrong what he did? Yes. Do you practically give away one of the top forwards in English football? That’s a personal decision but I wouldn’t have and I don’t think a Chairman with ambition for the club would have. 

Look at Man Utd with Cantona. Far worse what he did and the club stuck by him as it was in their best interests. 

I once found myself sitting diagonally opposite Dave Richards on the Sheffield London train and I don't mind telling you at one point I gave him a really hard stare. 

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Tudders said:

Spot on. Fergie came out and created a siege mentality. That is what you call man management. If it had happened under Big Ron it would have been handled entirely differently. 

44 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

I once found myself sitting diagonally opposite Dave Richards on the Sheffield London train and I don't mind telling you at one point I gave him a really hard stare. 

Did you set off from Paddington?

• Haha 1

Hate on his character or begrudge the way he left Hillsborough all you want.

But he is the most talented footballer I have seen in a Wednesday shirt, and created some of our most memorable moments of the last two decades. 

2 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Over Waddle? Not for me, but it is arguable

Sadly it's not a debate we are likely to have at that level again. There was an elegance to Waddle, in the manner of David Gower or Roger Federer, which will always make him my choice. 

Waddle world class proven at international level. Di Canio talented but not at the same level. Not through lack of talent but more self indulgent attitude. Would always put Waddle above him. Plus Waddle had genuine feelings towards the club and fans Di Canio kissed the badge but loved himself.

1 hour ago, The Regulator said:

Something he’s doing for Italian TV.

They should do a Phoenix From The Flames.

THis Cro Magnon man we found on Bramall Lane, you can be Martin Keown. Little aggressive bloke from the pub who craps himself if anybody has a go back, you be Nigel Winterburn. This new born deer that can't stay on it's feet can be Paul Alcock. And Paolo - you be Paolo Di Canio.  Roll camera.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, agentwalker said:

The reality was we needed him more than he needed us. Willson handled the situation badly and made things very public, he knew the character of the player and handled it the wrong way. Fergie was a brilliant man manager.

All Wilson had to do was to just say "we're handling things internally", then in private kissed Di Canio's arse. You don't throw a multi million pound player under the bus when you havn;t got a pot to wee wee in.

Wilson came out in public to show the FA that we were taking it seriously, that was obvious imo and Di Canio would have known this. He used this as an excuse to get a move.

13 minutes ago, El Wednesday said:

Just days after Remembrance Sunday and we invite someone who's openly fascist to the club.

Very poor from SWFC. 

Come on, it's not as if we've just had a painting competition and invited Rolf Harris to judge it.

Edited by agentwalker
  • Haha 1

1996-7 season we finished 7th in the Prem, missing out on European football again, with a good team spirit.

1997-8 finished 13th in the Prem after fighting relegation most of the season, team spirit gone.

1998-9 season finished 12th in prem, after struggling yet again, only reviving once he had gone.

There lies the story of Sheffield Wednesday in a nut shell, fans would rather have a player to Idolise than a team to achieve things.

We have only rarely got anywhere near that team spirit of the mid 90's since and been on a rollercoaster spiral since.

3 hours ago, gypsyowl said:

truth hurts I guess........ look how Man utd dealt with cantona and what happened to his career afterwards... look how we dealt with Di Canio and what he did at west ham.

Interesting perspective, first time I'm hearing it 

lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Animis said:

Not for me - read his book to see what he thought of SWFC.

Not the nicest was it.

However, you only have to spend 5 minutes reading this site to see what some SWFC fans think of SWFC.........

I can't abide his political opinions but when he played for us he played with passion and effort and far more ability than most alongside him at that time. No surprise to see us relegated as soon as Wilson had seen off the fancy dans. 

2 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Any pointing tho ?