Paolo Di Canio back at Hillsborough

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Great footballer, but a fascist. Would prefer him to not come back for a visit tbh. Not a nice person. 

Yep, he's repulsive. Not just not very nice but genuinely loathsome. Mixed up with the heirs of Mussolini. So not especially keen to see him back. 

One can believe this, but also believe that he was a fine player - and also believe that if we had handled the Alcock incident in line with our self interest as a club, we might not have suffered the ruin we did suffer. 

Just now, thewookieisdown said:

Yep, he's repulsive. Not just not very nice but genuinely loathsome. Mixed up with the heirs of Mussolini. So not especially keen to see him back. 

One can believe this, but also believe that he was a fine player - and also believe that if we had handled the Alcock incident in line with our self interest as a club, we might not have suffered the ruin we did suffer. 

Really?

57 minutes ago, Rodger Wylde said:

Most entertaining, skillful Wednesday player I've ever seen.

Over Waddle? Not for me, but it is arguable

Sadly it's not a debate we are likely to have at that level again. There was an elegance to Waddle, in the manner of David Gower or Roger Federer, which will always make him my choice. 

1 hour ago, Animis said:

Not for me - read his book to see what he thought of SWFC.

truth hurts I guess........ look how Man utd dealt with cantona and what happened to his career afterwards... look how we dealt with Di Canio and what he did at west ham.

9 minutes ago, A12owl said:

This what started it all. Incident at 4:00 and goal at 12:00.

If only Alcock hadn't fallen down . Who knows where we would be now .

One of those "I was there days"

love the commentary, vieira does a full on shove on Jonk he accuses him of exaggerating things. Dicanio pushes the ref and its as if he's battered him to death, career over, lock him up and strap him to the electric chair.  :ghoulguy:.

Can remember that day on the Kop. everyone was shouting abuse due to the red card, then fits of laughter then then back to the abuse.

3 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

love the commentary, vieira does a full on shove on Jonk he accuses him of exaggerating things. Dicanio pushes the ref and its as if he's battered him to death, career over, lock him up and strap him to the electric chair.  :ghoulguy:.

Can remember that day on the Kop. everyone was shouting abuse due to the red card, then fits of laughter then then back to the abuse.

I was on the Kop and from where I was sitting I thought he'd punched him. 

He was a great player...but he isn't a particularly nice bloke. 

Fascist salutes and what not. 

If people just want to focus on his footballing ability then that's their prerogative, but to be dismissive of those who voice their displeasure at some of the man's antics is pretty absurd. 

• Thanks 1

one of them players that you watched pull off brilliant bits of magic, then you try and replicate it playing with your mates.

Its players like that, that inspire new supports. Yes they might be a bit selfish and a bit of a nutter now and again but in 10-20 years time, those are the players you look back and remember. 

Guest Bulgaria

Maybe he has heard Monk is unsettled due to our pending punishment.

No doubt he has a few issues but what a player...

That goal at Southampton. I was about 1 meter away from him when he came over to celebrate.

Anyone who grabs hold of Leon Clarke has my support!

28 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

truth hurts I guess........ look how Man utd dealt with cantona and what happened to his career afterwards... look how we dealt with Di Canio and what he did at west ham.

I'm not sure there was a massive difference. Di Canio made the decision to leave. If he'd come back when he was supposed to then the relationship between him and the club might not have been quite as strained. If Cantona went AWOL, make no mistake, Fergie would have booted him out of the club.

2 minutes ago, archieswfc said:

I'm not sure there was a massive difference. Di Canio made the decision to leave. If he'd come back when he was supposed to then the relationship between him and the club might not have been quite as strained. If Cantona went AWOL, make no mistake, Fergie would have booted him out of the club.

The reality was we needed him more than he needed us. Willson handled the situation badly and made things very public, he knew the character of the player and handled it the wrong way. Fergie was a brilliant man manager.

All Wilson had to do was to just say "we're handling things internally", then in private kissed Di Canio's arse. You don't throw a multi million pound player under the bus when you havn;t got a pot to wee wee in.