Founded this week 90 years ago.

On 16/11/2019 at 21:17, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The official supporters club died a bit of a death when the club took merchandising and travel 'in house' in the late 70s/early 80s. 

It was still going strong in the mid 70s though. Here's their 'Personality Girl' of the year (1974 I think) as announced at the annual SC dinner dance.

Lots more in my upcoming book on the dark days :) 

20190821_175140-1.jpg

So is that where the phrase, "Yes I know  but she's got a great personality" Come from?

One thing always amazed me if I went away.. The team would turn up in a Blue bus, followed by several coachloads of supporters, in red coaches bearing the \operator's name - Sheffield United Tours  This was not a company owned by the Sheffield United club, but a world-famous luxury coach firm.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2019 at 10:30, Buxtongent said:

Some of the replies on here show how small and moronic some of the minds are on here can be even in jest. 

Can I make several very important points:-

First - The 'Sheffield Wednesday Supporters Club was founded in the years between the two wars.It had NO connection with the club , other than being comprised of fellow fans of Sheffield Wednesday. It was purely a social club, who's HQ was in the pub on the corner of the old Castlegate Fish Market. It's purpose was to bring together the supporters of SWFC (and note, I said Supporters NOT Investors)

Second - The idea of a Supporters Club quickly spread to many areas outside Sheffield, who's members were interested not in the politics of the club, but simply of going in groups to see the club play football, home and away Aside from the Main branch, it had self-governing groups which sprang up in places such as Hoyland, Hoyland Common, and Wombwell, to the North of the city, as well as, even in the 1960's, large branches at Killamarsh and Creswell. These are the branches I know of, and had personal contacts with. There were others.

Third -Apart from each branch holding an Anual dinner, the Main branch used to organise an Annual Dinner and Dance, once in the Cutlers Hall at Sheffield, and the following year in the large dining suite in Steel, Peech and Tozer, Rotherham

It's aims were to increase the fan following of SW, and to have an enjoyable time meeting fellow fans. Many of the 'smaller' branches would meet occasionally for Games nights

It was never its intention to tell the club how it should be run, and by whom, AND IT NEVER HELD ANY SHARES

Fourth - it never had anything to do with 'Wednesdayite' since it folded before the formation of that organisation, yet always called themselves 'Wednesdayites'   

After my second match, when my Father had taken me to watch Wednesday, he came home one night from a meeting of the then Hoyland Branch, handed me a card and a badge , and said' I think it's time tha' wore this, Lad'  THE BADGE, OF THE 4 LEAF CLOVER DESIGN, I STILL PROUDLY WEAR TO EVERY MATCH AFTER OVER SEVENTY YEARS.

Great to hear Sir!