U23s v Wigan (h)

8 hours ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Yes, but our strongish side should be better than theirs  :angry:

Just kind of hope our lot are motivated enough to turn this around

i'm not sure that when they play 1st team players that it is a stronger side …...I don't get to many of these games but when I have seen senior players they just seem to stroll thru the games ……..  

18 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i'm not sure that when they play 1st team players that it is a stronger side …...I don't get to many of these games but when I have seen senior players they just seem to stroll thru the games ……..  

Agreed

I can see the benefit of easing in senior players coming back from injury

But drop squad players in at this level and they often treat it as punishment detail ... or seem to, at least

Always hope they'd be professional about it, but I have my doubts  :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Agreed

I can see the benefit of easing in senior players coming back from injury

But drop squad players in at this level and they often treat it as punishment detail ... or seem to, at least

Always hope they'd be professional about it, but I have my doubts  :unsure:

which really goes back to your thread about bringing back a proper reserve league ….I watched a few reserve games back in the day and they were competitive games with the experienced players putting in some effort trying to get back into the 1st team …...nando ,Rhodes or winnall   scoring a hat trick against a bunch of no hopers from wigans academy probably aint going to sway the manager much so it's no surprise that they take as a fitness exercise . 

17 hours ago, torryowl said:

which really goes back to your thread about bringing back a proper reserve league ….I watched a few reserve games back in the day and they were competitive games with the experienced players putting in some effort trying to get back into the 1st team …...nando ,Rhodes or winnall   scoring a hat trick against a bunch of no hopers from wigans academy probably aint going to sway the manager much so it's no surprise that they take as a fitness exercise . 

Probably agree with your points about dropping in more experienced players, and them often just seeming to go through the motions. However, if you get the balance right, there can be benefits, especially for the youngsters. It’s logical that the youngsters will improve, if they are playing with better players, providing of course, that those, so called, better players, have the right attitude. 

I was reading an article about Derby County’s development programme, and how they like to integrate the best of their youngsters, with more experienced players from the first team They treat their U23 games as a stepping stone towards promotion to the first team, rather than just a set of fixtures to be fulfilled