Lets not forget one thing.

The players on the big bucks, many still at the club, had the best chance in years to get us to the Premier League. Wasn’t the loss to Hull but the meek surrender against Huddersfield at home when a win would have left us with a shot at Reading in the Play Off Final. It’s moments like that which help define your future. Massive opportunity missed and boy are we going to pay for it!

3 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

The players on the big bucks, many still at the club, had the best chance in years to get us to the Premier League. Wasn’t the loss to Hull but the meek surrender against Huddersfield at home when a win would have left us with a shot at Reading in the Play Off Final. It’s moments like that which help define your future. Massive opportunity missed and boy are we going to pay for it!

I agree with that. Although I'd go a step further and state that the real damage was actually done in the away leg. We were so utterly negative and timid that we actually handed them both the initiative and the belief they needed. Terrible bit of management.  

10 hours ago, Snowyowl61 said:

Took OUR money with him? I attend 40+ matches every season and if I pay inflated prices, IT IS MY CHOICE, no one has ever held a gun to my head to force me or, I suggest, you. Chansiri is likely to lose a lot more than you or me in the final analysis. If you don't wish to pay the prices, inflated or not, then don't.

Yeah, just stop going to watch the club you’ve supported your whole life...

What about the people who don’t have the choice and can now only go to every other game? Or cannot now afford a few drinks with their mates beforehand like they have always done? Or the parents who can’t afford to take their kids along? Or the young fans who are undecided whether to watch Wednesday or united? 

You have such a stupid and simplistic view of the situation. I’d be interested to see if your thoughts changed if tickets went up to £60, or to a price that made going to the match like you’ve always done, a genuine financial burden to you and your family

20 hours ago, Lump On said:

Its a fact though, he gave us the money to build a team that twice finished in the Playoffs and twice bottled it, now you can blame Carlos and I do for the Huddersfield game but ultimately as any gambler knows, there's a risk to everything. I fully expected half the team to be sold in the summer and I think its a miricle that we still have a capable team today given the doom and gloom that was forcasted at the end of last season.

He’s been here four years. He’s sold one player. 

Players might leave, but there will be little revenue from it. 

Which is one of the reasons we’re in this pickle. 

He has gambled with our club. If he is to remain as owner, I hope he lets somebody who has a better understanding of football as a business run this great club.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

He’s been here four years. He’s sold one player. 

Players might leave, but there will be little revenue from it. 

Which is one of the reasons we’re in this pickle. 

He has gambled with our club. If he is to remain as owner, I hope he lets somebody who has a better understanding of football as a business run this great club.

To be a bit more precise we've sold Rhoys Wiggins, Jack Hunt and Lucas Joao for decent sums in that period. But the general overall point remains valid enough.

5 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

To be a bit more precise we've sold Rhoys Wiggins, Jack Hunt and Lucas Joao for decent sums in that period. But the general overall point remains valid enough.

I had forgotten about Joao's sale. I forgot Wiggins was ever a Wednesday player.  But look at those two players in isolation and it amplifies the lack of business acumen. 

When we bought Rhodes, which seems to be the bale of straw that broke the donkeys back, We had Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Winnall & Joao. I don't know what the injury situation was (fitness was another bale of straw) then, but Joao at least offered something different. 

As for Wiggins, I recall he was a left back. Pudil was as good acquisition on his first contract, so I get why opportunities would be limited for any other player in that position, but has there ever been a bigger question mark  Urby Emmanuelson, who seemed to be signed at the same time as Fox. 

I'm utterly convinced that Chansiri was playing a real life version of football manager, ultimately confirming he was totally out of his depth as a football business man. 

The points deduction / punishment hopefully will teach him a hard lesson, and if that makes him sell up, I won't shed any tears.

• Thanks 1

The spine of the team was already here.

Westwood 

Dawson

Wildsmith 

Lees

Palmer

Lee

Hutchinson 

Dave

All except Wildsmith have played pretty regularly which begs the question, how much money has been squandered on poor signings.

Poor recruitment and poor financial management have got us in a mess which I wholeheartedly believe Chansiri is incapable of sorting out.

6 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

The spine of the team was already here.

Westwood 

Dawson

Wildsmith 

Lees

Palmer

Lee

Hutchinson 

Dave

All except Wildsmith have played pretty regularly which begs the question, how much money has been squandered on poor signings.

Poor recruitment and poor financial management have got us in a mess which I wholeheartedly believe Chansiri is incapable of sorting out.

I was thinking the same last night,  but in reverse - as a competitor in this league ,we are slightly better than where we were under Stuart Gray - so why - because the spine of the team is pretty much where it was 4 years ago. yes, we've added a bit of quality but we had to pay big wages to attract it. We also paid big wages to the likes of Boyd, Jones and Abdi (and there's a repeat thread about Rhodes every week) which was bad business. Are we any further forward ? Are the facilities any better ? Are the pies any tastier ?

We've been competitive so far this season for two reasons:  it's a poorer standard than it has been for a long time, and Bruce addressed the on field issues that we're staring us in the face.

Look at  Liverpool, they had money to spend, they needed a top class centre half. they bought wee pipe Van Dyke.  We didn't have money to spend , we needed  top class centre half, we bought Rhodes, straight after buying Winnall. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I was thinking the same last night,  but in reverse - as a competitor in this league ,we are slightly better than where we were under Stuart Gray - so why - because the spine of the team is pretty much where it was 4 years ago. yes, we've added a bit of quality but we had to pay big wages to attract it. We also paid big wages to the likes of Boyd, Jones and Abdi (and there's a repeat thread about Rhodes every week) which was bad business. Are we any further forward ? Are the facilities any better ? Are the pies any tastier ?

We've been competitive so far this season for two reasons:  it's a poorer standard than it has been for a long time, and Bruce addressed the on field issues that we're staring us in the face.

Look at  Liverpool, they had money to spend, they needed a top class centre half. they bought wee pipe Van Dyke.  We didn't have money to spend , we needed  top class centre half, we bought Rhodes, straight after buying Winnall. 

Completely mismanaged by an owner who has no idea what he is doing and being advised by parasites who are having his pants down.

I ask this hypothetical question to anyone.

If you were a multimillionaire businessman who had just bought a football club, you sack your manager as you want to bring in your own man, a man who has experience and can get teams promoted, a man with a proven track record of success. 

Who do you appoint.

Surely the sane answer would have been someone like Jokanovic who was available at the time. Not us thou, let's employ Carlos, no success, no track record, had more clubs than Tiger Woods, hadn't managed in years, hmmm that was always going to end well.

22 minutes ago, A12owl said:

It nearly worked though.

The problem was keeping Carlos for too long. He should have been dismissed immediately after we failed to make the playoff final at his second attempt.

We were the media's darlings in our Playoff Final year. 

Yeah spot on,had we won the playoff final the pair of em would have been in the Owls hall of fame,small margins,its a fine line sometimes that makes heros and villans.

Alas that early success just seemed to fuel their egos,the suicidal spending spree they embarked on,bouyed by their earlier achievment lead us down a path where failure wasnt an option,there was no plan B they were like two reckless teenagers whod just nicked a porsche.

Theres no telling how this saga will end,lets just hope theres a club left at the end,with a ground and still in the championship

• Thanks 1

Just forced myself to read the EFL Rules. Section 92. As far as potential punishments go the only thing missing is stoning....

Clearly there's a very broad range of options open to them if we're ultimately found to be in breach of the rules. If you consider what's being alleged I'd guess we're looking at the top end of the punishment scale. Maybe even a punishment combo!!! 

This stuff can't happen by accident. DC's a bit of a gambler I think thats been evident from day one with the decisions that have ben made on all fronts. We appear to have proceeded with a combination of bad advice and at times no advice at all, learning on the job in what could only be described as an expensive game of football manager....... Personally I prefer the forty quid version.

Edited by Morepork
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Just forced myself to read the EFL Rules. Section 92. As far as potential punishments go the only thing missing is stoning....

Clearly there's a very broad range of options open to them if we're ultimately found to be in breach of the rules. If you consider what's being alleged I'd guess we're looking at the top end of the punishment scale. Maybe even a punishment combo!!! 

This stuff can't happen by accident. DC's a bit of a gambler I think thats been evident from day one with the decisions that have ben made on all fronts. We appear to have proceeded with a combination of bad advice and at times no advice at all, learning on the job in what could only be described as an expensive game of football manager....... Personally I prefer the forty quid version.

Can't argue with a word of that and as far as I can see all the more reason for him to sell up and move on.

First time I have logged in since posting and was expecting a wall of negs and posts but it seems pretty balanced. 

Its clear mistakes have been made but its easy to point that out after the fact, it seems to me that buying the stadium was Chansiri's last roll of the dice at avoiding PS sanctions, he more than likely wanted to avoid it but realized it was his only option albeit too late by the looks of it.

Player sales where never going to fill the void partly because of how PS works and also he would have had to sell every player worth a few bob and given we still have to play matches and to stay up that clearly wasn't going to happen so he sold a couple. let some high earners go in the summer and played by the EFL rules (unlike Birmingham buying players when told not to) I think he thought or was advised given the fact we have cooperated that the EFL would let it slide given stadiums sales had happened already with no issues and whats several months delay between friends.... personally i think we would have gotten away with it too! Well until Steve Gibson started kicking off and trying to sue Derby and slagging us off every chance he got. He who also 3 years ago broke FFP rules but used a "accountancy trick" to get round it and then has a gumption to go after who others who do the same. 

At the meeting called because of Gibson last season where all the chairmen sat down with EFL it was pointed out to Gibson that he himself had used one these tricks to cheat FFP and his answer was.... it was allowed within the rules of FFP.... Well so is stadium selling you simpleton or it was but will very likely not be very soon.

He drew too much attention to Derby and as a result us too and knowing us we will come of worse for it although its fine for a betting company to pay for clubs players and wages... I.E Wayne Rooney.

3 hours ago, Lump On said:

Its clear mistakes have been made but its easy to point that out after the fact

Of course it is - the job of supporters is to support. The job of the owner is to run the club responsibly. The owner has access to the accounts in order to make good decisions. We judge how successful those decisions were after the fact. 

36 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

No Shìt Sherlock ......:tango:

Didn't you know ? 

The horse is out of the bag. The cat has bolted . We're up the creek. The cupboard is bare. Go to jail and do not pass go. We're all doomed. We're gunna need a bigger boat. 

Or..... shall we tell the band to play on.  ?  take our punishment, roll our sleeves up and get on with it. McCulloch style. 

UTO.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Didn't you know ? 

The horse is out of the bag. The cat has bolted . We're up the creek. The cupboard is bare. Go to jail and do not pass go. We're all doomed. We're gunna need a bigger boat. 

Or..... shall we tell the band to play on.  ?  take our punishment, roll our sleeves up and get on with it. McCulloch style. 

UTO.

Sorry Sarge ..

I was referring to lumpons mistakes no ours ...

lol

• Haha 2