Budapest

Upwind

Like the enchanter says, you can pay on card using chip and pin or contactless when you're there without any fees. Maybe if you and your travel partner both get one, that would increase your limit, although I think you'd probably be fine, as cost of living out there is relatively cheap. 

I spent a few days in Denmark and Sweden about a year ago, and I didn't even see any of either currency, I was able to pay with card for every single thing, even at little christmas market stalls. 

• Thanks 1

Download "Bolt" app, its uber for Budapest. Really cheap too. I used my Monzo card a lot for currency. Doesn't look any different to the Revolut card that has been mentioned in here.

Great city, we have just come back for 5 days. Would visit again in the future.

• Thanks 1

the ruin bars are all in one bit of town - but bear in mind they've clocked onto the "tourist" trade now and theyre not the cheap night out they once were. Worth going to experience but dont think youre going to be drinking £1 pints all night. 

Szimpla Kert is the big famous one. like a warren inside. see if you can find my SWFC graffiti on the wall upstairs. 

In that whole area theres loads of bars and restaurants that are good. Theres lots of alleyways and gennels that have bars and cafes down so just wander around and explore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/12/2019 at 11:28, jamsandwich said:

the ruin bars are all in one bit of town - but bear in mind they've clocked onto the "tourist" trade now and theyre not the cheap night out they once were. Worth going to experience but dont think youre going to be drinking £1 pints all night. 

Szimpla Kert is the big famous one. like a warren inside. see if you can find my SWFC graffiti on the wall upstairs. 

In that whole area theres loads of bars and restaurants that are good. Theres lots of alleyways and gennels that have bars and cafes down so just wander around and explore.

I reckon jamsandwich is the Alan Whicker of OT,I've been everywhere man!

11 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

I reckon jamsandwich is the Alan Whicker of OT,I've been everywhere man!

did a long weekend away every month for 2 years... amazing times, amazing sites - europe was my lobster

Edited by jamsandwich

On 08/12/2019 at 15:06, modboy said:

Is that a good area for the ruin bars etc? 

Also fancy some live music, did you find anywhere?

We're boring buggers... we didn't go to any bars and we were tucked up in bed about 9pm every night!

I know its at the end of the line for the 'Historic' tram #2 which goes along the river past a load of the sights, well worth a ride as a cheap sightseeing alternative

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-d2191670-Reviews-Tram_Number_2-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

• Like 1

On 13/12/2019 at 20:00, Binky Griptite said:

We're boring buggers... we didn't go to any bars and we were tucked up in bed about 9pm every night!

I know its at the end of the line for the 'Historic' tram #2 which goes along the river past a load of the sights, well worth a ride as a cheap sightseeing alternative

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g274887-d2191670-Reviews-Tram_Number_2-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

Toddler staying with grandparents, I'm out until at least 10pm :biggrin:

On 09/12/2019 at 11:28, jamsandwich said:

I stuck some Jermaine/Reda stickers and Sam Hutchinson stickers around buda and prage. Aim is to find them again one day. 

• Like 2

On 08/12/2019 at 09:42, modboy said:

just booked for Feb

Few nights away without the toddler, looking forward to going to bars etc again

I went in Feb 2018 - it was absolutely freezing and snowed...but, I would still recommend the hot springs / sauna, if you get the chance.

• Like 1

On 15/11/2019 at 14:55, Upwind said:

We're following on with Capitals beginning with B and looking at doing Budapest in March next year..... following on from Barcelona and Berlin.  Looking at going for a week.  

I know there has been a previous thread on Budapest, but that was back in 2018, so I wondered if anyone had been more recently and if there were any 'must do' things.

Any ideas gratefully received.

We stopped in air bnb for a long weekend right next parliament building. Very nice.

• Like 1