Jump to content

Budapest


Upwind
 Share

Recommended Posts

We're following on with Capitals beginning with B and looking at doing Budapest in March next year..... following on from Barcelona and Berlin.  Looking at going for a week.  

 

I know there has been a previous thread on Budapest, but that was back in 2018, so I wondered if anyone had been more recently and if there were any 'must do' things.

 

Any ideas gratefully received.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went in October 2018 and again this summer both times to visit friends. 

 

Superb city with a great feel. Of course you'll want to see a lot of the touristy things such as the castle, parliament buildings, the bridges over the Danube and many of its impressive and cool buildings. Szimpla for the nightlife is touristy but really cool. Not sure if there is constant stimulation for a week of tourist activity however it's just a dead cool and iconic European city to hang around in.

 

We tend to be pretty chill on these breaks so for us we went and visited a lot of edgy and strange underground bars, clubs, local restaurants away from the tourist areas. This summer I went around Europe starting in Bratislava and ending in Budapest and by then it was 38 degrees across the city so I just chilled in the parks, drank beer and kept it very low key. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another question regarding currency.... heard that it is easier to exchange for Hungarian Forint whilst out in Budapest - is this correct?

I understand also that Euros are accepted at some outlets..... but is it generally HF in most places?

 

We are looking to book this as a special treat - anyone experienced it...?

 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g274887-d15574101-Pannonia_Gastroboat_Hungarian_gourmet_dinner_and_cruising_by_Rupichef-Budapest_Cen.html

 

Grateful for any advice as always.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Upwind said:

Another question regarding currency.... heard that it is easier to exchange for Hungarian Forint whilst out in Budapest - is this correct?

I understand also that Euros are accepted at some outlets..... but is it generally HF in most places?

 

We are looking to book this as a special treat - anyone experienced it...?

 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/AttractionProductReview-g274887-d15574101-Pannonia_Gastroboat_Hungarian_gourmet_dinner_and_cruising_by_Rupichef-Budapest_Cen.html

 

Grateful for any advice as always.

 

I got forints out there and didn't bother with Euros. As I said though, I didn't do loads in the tourist areas. 

 

Looks a nice meal. Beats the £2 kebabs I was eating after a few cans of Dreher. :laugh:

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

 

I got forints out there and didn't bother with Euros. As I said though, I didn't do loads in the tourist areas. 

 

Looks a nice meal. Beats the £2 kebabs I was eating after a few cans of Dreher. :laugh:

 

Thanks @TheEnchanter greatly appreciate that.  I assume banks are readily available to exchange £ to Forints and they all have similar exchange rates?

 

We will no doubt be at the same kebab stands for the rest of the week as my Yorkshire tightness won't extend to too much extravagance.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We stayed at Hotel Moments Budapest. Fantastic hotel. 
 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274887-d9250207-Reviews-Hotel_Moments_Budapest-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html?m=19905

Edited by i used to be sc_owl
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Euros will buy you as much in Budapest as it would in Sheffield - nothing. 

 

Grab a revolut travel card, load it up with £££, draw it out in HUF from an ATM when you're there. No messing around with buying/selling rates, just the actual conversion. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

 

That looks like a great hotel - I think we went a little more downmarket..... we booked this place last night - seems to be pretty close to your hotel and has similar reviews.

 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274887-d554290-Reviews-Casati_Budapest_Hotel-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

 

We decided to book direct and got a room for 7 nights for just under £600, which we thought was value for money - especially with breakfast included. 

Also got return flights from Donny for less than £200, so pretty happy............... just got to sort out our itinerary now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Upwind said:

 

That looks like a great hotel - I think we went a little more downmarket..... we booked this place last night - seems to be pretty close to your hotel and has similar reviews.

 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g274887-d554290-Reviews-Casati_Budapest_Hotel-Budapest_Central_Hungary.html

 

We decided to book direct and got a room for 7 nights for just under £600, which we thought was value for money - especially with breakfast included. 

Also got return flights from Donny for less than £200, so pretty happy............... just got to sort out our itinerary now. 


We got a very good deal on that hotel tbh. 
 

Budapest is amazing. I’ll dig up some info on stuff we did and restaurants we went to in a bit. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:


We got a very good deal on that hotel tbh. 
 

Budapest is amazing. I’ll dig up some info on stuff we did and restaurants we went to in a bit. 

 

Thanks mate - no rush, but would appreciate that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Upwind said:

 

Thanks mate - no rush, but would appreciate that.


There was a restaurant called Sir Lancelot that was just insane. It’s a medieval themed restaurant with shows and whatnot. They don’t have forks in the restaurant - just knives and spoons and the food comes out as a medieval feast would. The food was decent enough but it was such a surreal experience. Worth it just for the laugh. 
 

We used a taxi firm to take us from the airport to the hotel and it was pretty cheap:

 

minibud.hu

info@minibud.hu

 

Also, make sure you have a stroll around Margit Island. 
 

I can’t remember what it is called but there is a fort/castle at the top of some hills. The views from up there are fantastic and it was a nice walk up to the top. 
 

The zoo was disappointing and I wouldn’t bother with it. 
 

I posted about Budapest on my site here:

 

https://www.nowwelive.com/budapest.html

 

Oh, my girlfriend just reminded me of another restaurant we liked:

 

https://www.kacsavendeglo.hu/index.php/hu/

 

The above was old school in decor but had very good food. 
 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Mole said:

Euros will buy you as much in Budapest as it would in Sheffield - nothing. 

 

Grab a revolut travel card, load it up with £££, draw it out in HUF from an ATM when you're there. No messing around with buying/selling rates, just the actual conversion. 

 

poo yeah forgot revolut has forints. 

 

1000% recommend a revolut card. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Go into the great market hall -  food market - upstairs loads of gift shops etc.. but the food at the end is proper Hungarian stuff and cheap.. several cafe's at the end of the Vaci pedestrian street.

 

The Pointer pub is good for a familiar beer and grub and normal haunt we return too... 

 

Loads of decent restaurants on Vaci street..  on of my fav dishes is the slab of marble.. extremely hot and you get a choice of cuts of meat to cook on it

to your preferred liking.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

 

poo yeah forgot revolut has forints. 

 

1000% recommend a revolut card. 

 

Just had a look and it looks like a decent idea... although I noticed it that you are limited to the amount you can withdraw per month - £200 a month in international ATM withdrawals for free. Anything over £200 attracts a 2% fee.... and also I note that although it gives perfect interbank rates on most currencies, they do charge you a 0.5%-1.5% fee at weekends.  Will definitely investigate though... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

We did 4 nights here for about 80EUR:

 

http://www.greendreamapartment.com/

 

Walk towards Margaret Bridge and turn left for the touristy stuff, turn right for the cheap food.

 

I understand you can reach Margaret Island via the bridge is that correct - and does it cost to access the island?  Thanks for the tip on the tourist/food options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Upwind said:

 

I understand you can reach Margaret Island via the bridge is that correct - and does it cost to access the island?  Thanks for the tip on the tourist/food options.

 

If my memory serves me right I believe you can, I think we had a wander but there wasn't much to do there on a freezing cold December day and there was a bit of a fog which meant you couldn't see much!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...