First goal you ever saw at Hillsborough

12 hours ago, shandypants said:

I do remember my first away game though. It was Mansfield. I can’t remember the score but I do remember that Wednesday fans rioted for some reason. I went with my sister’s boyfriend who was a 17 year-old hooligan That hung out with the EBRA lot (he was probably one of them). 

Could have been when Andy Mac got his 100th goal. Loads of trouble that day. 

First goal I saw at Hillsborough was Andy Cole scoring the winner for Newcastle in the 1993/4 season.

https://www.premierleague.com/match/792 :duntmatter:

First goal I saw scored by a Wednesday player at Hillsborough was Gordon Watson in the 5-0 thrashing of Ipswich the same season. David Linighan got in the first blow with an own goal though. Typical Wednesday though isn't it? first 3 goals I saw scored, only 1 of them was against us and only 1 of those was from an actual Wednesday player :tongue:

https://www.premierleague.com/match/886

Edited by Minton

On 21/11/2019 at 02:10, Minton said:

First goal I saw at Hillsborough was Andy Cole scoring the winner for Newcastle in the 1993/4 season.

https://www.premierleague.com/match/792 :duntmatter:

First goal I saw scored by a Wednesday player at Hillsborough was Gordon Watson in the 5-0 thrashing of Ipswich the same season. David Linighan got in the first blow with an own goal though. Typical Wednesday though isn't it? first 3 goals I saw scored, only 1 of them was against us and only 1 of those was from an actual Wednesday player :tongue:

https://www.premierleague.com/match/886

I was quite lucky then, my first few games were 3-0, 2-0, 0-0, 3-1, 4-1. Not bad for a team who were midtable. And I'm still remembering the one after that as a 1-0 win to us rather than a 1-2 loss because we arrived late and missed the 2 goals that we conceded in the first 5 minutes!

That was quite a strange season (80-81) as we had a very decent home record (2 of the 3 losses were in the final 2 home games) which was almost exactly reversed in the away games -  14 4 3 38 14    3 4 14 15 37

Time for a refresh:

Adam Proudlock (The Enchanter)

Alan Warboys (bradowl)

Alan Warboys or a Wolves player (seanus)

Andy Booth (hopevalleyowl)

Andy Cole (Minton)

Andy McCulloch (alanharper, BARMYARMY2010)

Bobby Charlton (sternlad)

Brian Joicey (Statto Owl)

Brian Joicey* (Utah Owl - although technically the Norwich player if it was equaliser?)

Carl Shutt (katie melua)

Carlton Palmer (jonnyowl)

Chris Bart-Williams (punkskaphil, McRightSide)

Colin Dobson (marconi, legendaryswan)

Colin Harvey (matt68owls)

Craig Burley (Lump On)

Cyrille Regis (Ecclesfieldz owl)

Dalian Atkinson (DuttyTeabags, Owling, The Horse)

Dan Petrescu (southportdc)

Daniel Amokachi (bigash_swfc, LondonOwl313)

Danny Wilson (Owls_fan_since_1983)

David 'Bronco' Layne (REDOWL, Buckwheat)

David Hirst (areNOTwhatTHEYseem, MarrakechOwl, Salmonbones, Stoop, Owlsabouthat!, BlueBloodedOwl)

Derek 'Doc' Pace (torryowl)

Dwight Yorke (Southie_Owl)

Gabriele Angella (Owl14)

Gary Bannister (paddyowl)

Gerald Sibon (Fairy Tail Owl)

Gerry Hitchens or Billy Griffin? (ffs owl - the 4-1 defeat was at Villa Park, do you mean the 2-1 defeat vs Villa in 60-61 at Hillsboro?)

Gerry Young (jack whitham)

Glenn Cockerill (Adem Poric)

Hermann Hreidarsson (swfc1867jm)

Howard Wilkinson (Peacenocchio)

Ian Nimmo (lanzaroteowl - as it was he who scored the first against Chester in the 2-0 win)

Ian Rush (g-owls)

Imre Varadi (Bearwood Owl1, modboy)

Jack Whitham (penrhyn bay owl, Albertowl, hatowl, MARTY BOY)

Jack Whitham* (Trumbull Owl - although technically I think whoever scored for Forest would have been the first, unless you missed that goal?)

Jim McCalliog (31Dec1966, Fast Forward* - assuming it was the 2-2 draw vs Blades in Sept '66, Peter Eustace scored first in the March '66 2-2 draw)

Jimmy Daley or Dennis Woodhead (Buxtongent)

John Fantham (flying-owl, daveyboy66)

John Pearson (meggoisgod, belfast owl lad)

John Ritchie (OxonOwl)

Jon Newsome (gParrish)

Ken Knighton (Tank_owl, quinnssweetshop)

Kevin Phillips (Bez)

Lee Chapman (Birstall Owl, goodytheowl)

Lloyd Owusu (FlyingOwl)

Marcus Tudgay (flo)

Mark Bright (The Batman, Brissy-owl)

Mick Prendergast or Cardiff player (Mrmason69)

Michael Owen (MuseManMatt08)

Michael Reddy (1993swfc)

Nat Lofthouse - probably - or could be George Hamilton/Tom Finney (robertowl)

Paolo Di Canio (Onge)

Paul Williams (roty)

Peter Lorimer (wexowl)

Ritchie Humphreys (Castleford Owl)

Robbie Elliott (markg)

Robbie Fowler (Suzuki_San)

Roland Nilsson (Emerson Thome)

Roy Shiner (Blatter, Mark1948)

Ryan Jones (Junglejay)

Sigi Held (keefdave)

Steve Maclean (Andrew_owl)

Terry Curran (brommers)

Tommy Craig (owls about that, rickygoo, Nut)

Tommy McAnearney (nevthelodgemoorowl)

Trevor Francis (Dutch McLovin)

Viv Anderson (big_al1985)

Thanks everyone for all the responses - that's 94 so far and 66 different players. David Hirst out in front with 6 and Jack Whitham in second place with 5 people.

On 19/11/2019 at 08:26, sternlad said:

10th April 1967 - v Man Utd  2-2  Attendance 50,000+ 

I remember we parked in the car park on the left hand side of Herries Road (as you head towards the ground) I remember the ground being floodlit (Wednesday night game I think) and the big illuminated sign at the back of the Kop looking fantastic. Can’t remember who scored for us that night as I was ten and our seats were almost at the back of the south. The noise was “unbelievable Jeff” . Think Torry owl will probably know who scored that night and in what order the goals went in, I wish someone could remind me...all my scrapbooks went in the recycling donkeys years ago.:wacko:

Found the stats on a Man Utd website... it was Bobby Charlton who scored first:

10-04-1967 Sheffield Wednesday A Hillsborough D 2 2 Bobby Charlton 36', 38' John Fantham 49', John Ritchie 57'

On 16/11/2019 at 23:41, wexowl said:

John Ritchie   v Leeds  FA Cup Jan 1969. I think it was equaliser to Leeds penalty.

So turned out this one was Peter Lorimer.

Couldn't find any footage of this game, but there are brief highlights from a couple of other Leeds vs Wednesday games from 1969, in colour:

On 16/11/2019 at 11:44, Ecclesfieldz owl said:

Not sure what the first goal Scored Hillsborough Was when I was in attendance but Steve ogrizovic (Coventry city goal keeper for the younger ones in here) goal past Martin hodge was the earliest I can remember..... anyone remember the year???

This was my favourite find - the answer is Cyrille Regis, and there's even footage of all the goals (seemingly filmed, and commentated on from within a broom cupboard). Ogrizovic goal is at 4 minutes.

What the heck was Hodgey playing at there? Never got within 3 metres of it...

5 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

So turned out this one was Peter Lorimer.

Couldn't find any footage of this game, but there are brief highlights from a couple of other Leeds vs Wednesday games from 1969, in colour:

Much thanks for this Emerson.Even conceding those goals I enjoyed watching the footage. Perfect surfaces too.:biggrin:    I met Johnny Giles a couple of years ago (didn't play in Cup game)  he reckoned that Leeds early exit was an important part in their League title.:angry: