First goal you ever saw at Hillsborough

Andy Booth’s opener against Middlesbrough in a 3-1 win in early February 1997. Bullet near post header from a pembridge cross.

Looking back i  don’t know how we didn’t make Europe that season - in true Wednesday style we really cocked it up towards the back end of that season 

So far we've had:

Adam Proudlock (The Enchanter)

Alan Warboys (bradowl)

Andy Booth (hopevalleyowl)

Andy McCulloch (alanharper)

Brian Joicey (Statto Owl)

Brian Joicey* (Utah Owl - although technically the Norwich player if it was equaliser?)

Chris Bart-Williams (punkskaphil, McRightSide)

Colin Dobson (marconi)

Colin Harvey (matt68owls)

Dalian Atkinson (DuttyTeabags, Owling, The Horse)

Daniel Amokachi (bigash_swfc, LondonOwl313)

Danny Wilson (Owls_fan_since_1983)

David 'Bronco' Layne (REDOWL)

David Hirst (areNOTwhatTHEYseem, MarrakechOwl, Salmonbones, Stoop)

Derek 'Doc' Pace (torryowl)

Gerry Hitchens or Billy Griffin? (ffs owl - the 4-1 defeat was at Villa Park, do you mean the 2-1 defeat vs Villa in 60-61 at Hillsboro?)

Gerry Young (jack whitham)

Ian Nimmo (lanzaroteowl - as it was he who scored the first against Chester in the 2-0 win)

Ian Rush (g-owls)

Imre Varadi (Bearwood Owl1)

Jack Whitham (penrhyn bay owl, Albertowl)

Jack Whitham* (Trumbull Owl - although technically I think whoever scored for Forest would have been the first, unless you missed that goal?)

Jim McCalliog (31Dec1966, Fast Forward* - assuming it was the 2-2 draw vs Blades in Sept '66, Peter Eustace scored first in the March '66 2-2 draw)

John Fantham (flying-owl, daveyboy66)

Jon Newsome (gParrish)

Ken Knighton (Tank_owl)

Lee Chapman (Birstall Owl)

Marcus Tudgay (flo)

Mark Bright (The Batman)

Michael Reddy (1993swfc)

Paolo Di Canio (Onge)

Ritchie Humphreys (Castleford Owl)

Roland Nilsson (Emerson Thome)

Roy Shiner (Blatter, Mark1948)

Ryan Jones (Junglejay)

Sigi Held (keefdave)

Steve Maclean (Andrew_owl)

Terry Curran (brommers)

Tommy Craig (owls about that, rickygoo)

Trevor Francis (Dutch McLovin)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

And as a special bonus, here are video of the first goals for yours truly (outside of the right boot from Nilsson, lovely):

And Mrs Emerson Thome (a poachers finish from Gary Hooper, not that she'll remember it!)

Edited by Emerson Thome

1 hour ago, hopevalleyowl said:

Andy Booth’s opener against Middlesbrough in a 3-1 win in early February 1997. Bullet near post header from a pembridge cross.

Looking back i  don’t know how we didn’t make Europe that season - in true Wednesday style we really cocked it up towards the back end of that season 

If I remember right we was in a great position with games in hand against teams down bottom, midweek game at Leicester who had already won league cup and had little to play for and we ended up losing 1-0 missing loads of chances. 

We lost 3 of last 4 games losing 5-1 at West Ham and 4-1 at Blackburn.

Edited by bradowl

3 minutes ago, bradowl said:

If I remember right we was in a great position with games in hand against teams down bottom, midweek game at Leicester who were having a poor season with little to play for and we ended up losing 1-0 missing loads of chances. 

Yep, i was only 8 nearly 9 at the time so didn’t really understand how close we got at the time. 

I went to the 1-1 draw with Newcastle which was class but then i think we got battered away at Blackburn and West Ham.

First season ticket was 99/00 so i’ve had a pretty miserable 20 odd years overall!

Mine is a bit odd...I'll explain. My Dad was born in Sheffield, but I was born in Brighton. So I was an Owl living miiiiles away from Hillsborough, which made  growing up a bit poo. Wearing the kit got me funny questions and I have to say, made me hate Brighton fans.  They were generally awful to me. (I loved the Carlos playoffs!)

I watched Wednesday as much as I could on their Southern away days at Southampton, QPR, etc, before I even got to Hillsborough. 

Moved here in '99, the season we got relegated.  Never seen a top flight game at Hillsborough.

:duntmatter:

First goal was Carbone in the loss to Liverpool season opener '99.  All 3 of my kids are (obviously) Owls.  

FB_IMG_1573856573719.thumb.jpg.44b432145a7e9502f68401084f97ec05.jpg

• Like 1

It was Tommy McAnearney as an apprentice fan 1957 in a 1-1 draw v Preston or Bolton Reserves. His goal was a penalty in off the north west post at the Leppings Lane end.

A bit cheesed with football in general at the moment but there have been some great times. Sorry for those who have not seen Hillsborough with 65,000 in, no safety issues then.

The 5-4 v Manchester United has to be the pinnacle of all the games 1967 (I think).

11 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

It was Tommy McAnearney as an apprentice fan 1957 in a 1-1 draw v Preston or Bolton Reserves. His goal was a penalty in off the north west post at the Leppings Lane end.

A bit cheesed with football in general at the moment but there have been some great times. Sorry for those who have not seen Hillsborough with 65,000 in, no safety issues then.

The 5-4 v Manchester United has to be the pinnacle of all the games 1967 (I think).

Agree with you about Man Utd game. Like you I have a bucketful of memories but that match is near the top of 'em. You are right also about a full ground. Who can forget leaving the Ozzy Owl club to stand on a roofless kop. Great days.

3 hours ago, Salmonbones said:

I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but I could find out via google as I went to all the home games of our Rumbelows season.

Please wait...............googling

Had to be.

David Hirst, on the spin - in the air, full volley.

I'd been to a couple of games before that but this was the season I started going all the time. Hirsty tore Hull to pieces, 5-1 in the end.

I remember most games from the 90's much more vividly than some of the seasons in the early 2000's. Probably has something to do with having all the season review videos and actually wanting to watch the games back as opposed to the thrills of festive 0-0 draws with the likes of Grimsby Town.  

3 hours ago, hopevalleyowl said:

We had 3 away games near the end of the season and lost them all. I remember going to Blackburn the same night Chezzy played Middlesbrough in the FA Cup semi-final replay at Hillsborough. We got hammered at Ewood Park which was a regular occurrence around that time, Booth was injured and was sat in the away end with us. 

Football League v Scottish League in early 1950s. Can't remember score. I was v.impressed by the ground though. Had only been to Millmòor before that.A lot of folk there got a free view from climbing up a huge pile of scrap metal behind one of the goals. My dad said,darkly, 

"If one of that lot slips they'll be cut to ribbons".

Since that visit to Hillsborough I've supported Wednesday ever since.