First goal you ever saw at Hillsborough

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

I went to a cracking game, 5-3 loss against Everton. Andrei Kanchelskis hat trick, fully feel the meaning of his words tho, when my next door neighbor said "get used to this pain kid" - A true visionary

That was my first game too, April 1996. Think it was 5-2 though... it's this one:

https://www.skysports.com/football/sheff-wed-vs-everton/276950

1 hour ago, bigash_swfc said:

I went to a cracking game, 5-3 loss against Everton. Andrei Kanchelskis hat trick, fully feel the meaning of his words tho, when my next door neighbor said "get used to this pain kid" - A true visionary

A lifetime of pain? Not half - I went to that game, and then that night I went out with our lass for the first time (been married for nearly 20 years now).

1 minute ago, Birstall Owl said:

Damn you and your knowledge, could have sworn it was Shutt :biggrin:

Shutt scored a couple in the next home game when we beat Oxford 6-1 so maybe you're remembering that, it's easy for games to blur together 30+ years later.

I have no actual memory of the first 4 goals I saw at Hillsborough. Beat Oldham 3-0 in my first game but we missed the first goal and I have no memory of the next two other than the crowd reactions. The first goal that I can "see" in my mind's eye is the second goal when we beat Swansea 2-0 the week after, a young Mel Sterland tapping a loose ball into the empty net.

6 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Shutt scored a couple in the next home game when we beat Oxford 6-1 so maybe you're remembering that, it's easy for games to blur together 30+ years later.

I have no actual memory of the first 4 goals I saw at Hillsborough. Beat Oldham 3-0 in my first game but we missed the first goal and I have no memory of the next two other than the crowd reactions. The first goal that I can "see" in my mind's eye is the second goal when we beat Swansea 2-0 the week after, a young Mel Sterland tapping a loose ball into the empty net.

Ah! that explains a lot, I agree though about things blurring together :biggrin:

So whose first Wednesday goal witnessed was the best? Humphreys against Villa is certainly a contender.

My son could stake a claim, his first game at Hillsborough was a 3-2 win over Millwall in 2012, Jermaine Johnson with a run followed by a long range scorcher into the top corner. Obviously that meant that my son expected this to actually be a regular occurrence, imagine the reality dawning in his 6 year old mind as JJ's next 29 shots went sailing into the stands...
  • Haha 1